Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,461 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Please excuse me if this has been asked 128973 times, but I tried to scour past postings and found little to no information on this topic.

A little background: I recently graduated from college in north NJ and the person I am hoping to room with still goes there. We're both females over 21. I'm currently working in NYC and she's obviously attending college. As the title states, we're apartment hunting.

We have created a kind of "wish list" of things we would like in an ideal location/setting. Obviously we are not going to find somewhere perfect that fits everything and we're willing to make sacrifices.. but we thought we'd make an ideal list and see what came up.

Wish List:
- $1500-2000 a month [preferably closer to the low side if possible, but we're willing to make it work]
- 2br
- Reasonable commute for both of us [we both have cars but are also ok with public]
- Some sort of community or social scene for people our age. We'd like to not come home to a dead suburban town at night.
- Relative safety. We're two 22 year old females and we'd like to be able to walk to the bar at night without fear of mugging/etc.
- Some semblance of parking

I know this seems incredibly lofty and ambitious, but if you never ask....

Anyway I'm hoping to get at least some starting points from all of you. If I've forgotten to mention any important information [I'm sure I have!] then just let me know.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,928 times
Off the top of my head...Montclair.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
On the high side of that you can probably get into Hoboken even though it may be a nightmarish commute for your roomie depending on which North Jersey college she's going to (a city would be useful). Montclair is a good choice and you can go a little further west to West Paterson/Totowa for slightly cheaper apartments though you'd have to drive to the nightlife. You can also check out Clifton but there are some parts you may not want to live in.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:14 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
I would say stay around whatever college she is at, and there should be a way to commute to NYC if it's in North Jersey. Then when she graduates and gets a job, you guys can move to Hoboken.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM

3 posts, read 3,601 times
Lyndhurst, NJ. I am a realtor. Contact me. I will help you.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:39 AM

59 posts, read 399,736 times
Another vote for Montclair. Lots of nice restaurants/bars, good social scene, lively in the evenings, good commuting options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey