Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 07:48 AM

18 posts, read 24,110 times

Advertisements

We want to move to NJ in near future and since I work in NYC, I need a community with a train station. We want to be within 1 hour car drive of Hillsboro, NJ (family) and hopefully about an hour train ride to NYC. $425,000 is about top of our price range. Like everybody else, we are looking for a safe, good neighborhood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 AM

136 posts, read 723,194 times
Dunellen, Cranford, Iselin (Metropark), Edison..

decent communities where you can pick up a decent house in your price range.

any further south or west of those places and you won't meet the 1-hour train ride requirement.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:40 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by okok2000 View Post
We want to move to NJ in near future and since I work in NYC, I need a community with a train station. We want to be within 1 hour car drive of Hillsboro, NJ (family) and hopefully about an hour train ride to NYC. $425,000 is about top of our price range. Like everybody else, we are looking for a safe, good neighborhood. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Is there a reason you can only use the trains? There are a lot of towns that have bus service.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:54 PM

7 posts, read 25,268 times
Default Springfield, New Providence and Berkley heights

We live in Springfield and there is good train connectivity from Summit, Short hills or Millburn, you will find decent houses in your range at springfield, new providence and berkley heights and the school districts are good too and you close to the airport (Newark abt 12 miles) and there is not much traffic on the highways near here when you go south, you might hit traffic a lot, if not for commuting to work but otherwise on weekends.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:01 PM

18 posts, read 24,110 times
Default Buses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Is there a reason you can only use the trains? There are a lot of towns that have bus service.
I guess since I am a LIRR rider now, I just thought "trains". Are the buses as reliable as the trains. Thanks for broadening my perspective.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:44 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Quote:
I guess since I am a LIRR rider now, I just thought "trains". Are the buses as reliable as the trains. Thanks for broadening my perspective.
Sure! Sometimes buses are easier, of course it depends where you work in the city and the town you live in.

The towns close to the city have NJ Transit buses.

A lot of towns a bit farther out have private buses. One company is Coach USA.

Coach USA

Here are some Park N Rides in NJ, you can browse by county:

Middlesex County, Park and Ride Locator, Ridesharing, Commuter Information (http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/commuter/rideshare/prmiddle.shtm - broken link)

Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Yeah, the buses are pretty good for reliability. Most run frequently. The PABT in Manhattan is like a train station, with hundreds of buses going in and out every minute. There's a dedicated bus lane through the Lincoln Tunnel with ramps going right into the bus terminal. Pretty cool and fast. The only problem with buses relative to trains is that traffic on the highways in NJ can slow them down. You don't always get the on-time performance the trains usually get, especially in bad weather. But if you work near Times Sq, you can't beat the convenience.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:57 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
Quote:
I was an LIRR rider until February of this year, when we moved from Huntington to central NJ. I cannot TELL you how much I prefer the bus to the train. In the morning, the buses have their own lane into the Lincoln Tunnel - so you generally do not sit in tunnel traffic. The only time so far that I've seen it get bad is when it's raining, and traffic on the turnpike is slow too.

And honestly - the prices for the buses? MUCH less than the LIRR... and get this - if you are not a monthly rider and just need to get into the city on occasion, their ten trip tickets are actually discounted - not like the LIRR which just takes and "conveniently" gives you ten trips for the price of... ten.

I live in Manalapan, and it generally on a normal commute morning takes me about an hour to get into Port Authority. And even the other day when traffic was really bad, it was about an hour and 20 min. And there's no standing on the buses - if you're on a bus, you get a seat.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:01 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,118,789 times
I take the Academy bus and it's pretty good. I go into Wall Street though so there are some delays but it's better than changing trains. People do have to stand sometimes though. I have a friend that moved to Fanwood and commutes by train and he loves it there. Whether you commute by bus or train, you'll be a lot happier if you can walk to the stop.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:30 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Consider Sayreville, its less congested and u probably get more for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey