Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 12:48 PM

7 posts, read 25,271 times

Advertisements

I am currently facing a court date in landlord tenant issue in the superior court of New Jesey in the first week of November. Me and my husband recently took a 3 bedroom apartment for rent in a multi family home which is owner occupied, we choose this as we both lost our jobs after 7 yrs and only my husband got a job as a consultant on a 6 month project hence we wanted a 6 month lease for the apartment. This was a owner occupied building and after we moved in there were a lot of problems and the owner was hesitant to get them fixed for example no hot water in one of the bathrooms, bugs in the kitchen etc!! and then finally within 6 weeks of us staying there the owner wanted us to leave as we were bothering them to get the things fixed!!, He was threatening us to leave within 20 days, so after doing some research on the internet about the landlord tenant laws we decided to get some legal advice as we had a 6 month lease in place.

I also found out that the security deposit of one and half months rent can be used as future rent if the owner does not put it in a separate interest bearing account so we gave them a legal notice that we would be moving in 6 weeks and we would like to apply the security deposit as rent. After receiving the letter there were few more incidents when they tried to barge into our apartment and we had to call the cops. after all this we receive a notice from their attorney to attend the superior court of NJ for eviction proceedings, I have a strong nagging belief that they are doing this only to bother us and threaten us as any court judgment against us would be reflected on our credit history. I would like to know how this might effect our credit history?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:47 PM

604 posts, read 2,011,569 times
Have you documented any of the evidence (bugs in the kitchen) or your complaints about what the landlord did not do (hot water, bugs, his bargiing in without adequate notice etc.)

If not, do it as soon as possible. If you are living within the terms of the lease (read the lease cpompletely and thoroughly) be fearless anbout credit report. Just because somebody threatens you with the court does not mean you will be at the losing end. Another idea could be to check out at the town office if the apartment is legal ....if it is not the threat to go to court would be hollow one.

Hope this bucks you up.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:37 AM

177 posts, read 700,672 times
Where is a good website to read up on NJ tenant rental laws?

I am also curious to know if I could apply my security deposit toward my last month of rent since I am assuming the deposit was never put into a savings account of any kind.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:01 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,112,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post

I am also curious to know if I could apply my security deposit toward my last month of rent since I am assuming the deposit was never put into a savings account of any kind.
Google is your friend: NJ landlord tenant laws

ASSUMING? You know who is an as* when you do that.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:35 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,487,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Capo* View Post

Ask your landlord for the bank and acct# where your security was deposited if you were not already given it (it's not rocket science for the landlord if s/he has landlord/tenant accounts set up - you get one account as a landlord and a bunch of account numbers to use for tenant accounts.). You might want to double check your lease - I always include the account number in the lease and my tenants don't always remember.

Last edited by JerseyG; 10-31-2009 at 05:43 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 08:59 AM

85 posts, read 272,097 times
Even if what half of what you have posted is true, you have no worries:

This is what you want to read right here:

LSNJLAW - I Rent My Home

Last edited by mboy; 11-02-2009 at 09:25 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey