Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:53 PM

593 posts, read 1,661,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRiguez View Post
So because of a few knuckleheads you would take away the rights (not priviledges) of the masses? Thats like saying that because we have stupid irresponsible parents, EVERYONE now has to have a permit to have a child. Yes im going a bit to the extreme side to make my point because it all starts with the small things that we feel arent so bad and can live without then it starts getting worse and worse. I dont beleive in consiracy theories but I do believe that if you give someone (especially the gov) an inch they will attempt to take a mile the first chance they get.

I dont mind registering my guns, I dont mind having a criminal backround check done, I wouldnt even mind the state comming in and saying that you have to prove proficiency with a patiucular weapon before your allowed to own one. If you want to talk safety, then lets talk about how to make gun ownership safer. Not simply remove the right for anyone to own a gun.

Reps VD.
I understand where you're coming from but seriously though, what is the point of owning a gun though? To me, honestly speaking, if I'm going to buy me a gun, I'm going to hurt somebody, some animal or destory something with it. Forget collecting it, showing it off to my friends, acting tough, going to the range, that's just nonsense. You know... I'd get a buck worth out of my bang. Solely going to the shooting range to test my aim to see how well I could shoot up a paper target is pointless. Bullets are NOT cheap and neither is a gun. That's just me though. That's what guns are made for. If you're not using it for what it's purpose then you really shouldn't own one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Uhh.. I live right next to Camden..and it's not a safe place...oh wait, this might be offensive to black people so we aren't allowed to say it.

Camden rocks!

Old 11-02-2009, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
If you tried to rob and assault me on a train, sure.

Well... yeah BUT in Bernard Goetz case, he was the wrong example.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:04 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Jersey is NOT Texas when it comes to shooting a burglar roaming inside your house.
Actually, they're not that different. Like Texas, New Jersey has enacted a Castle Doctrine law so people can protect their lives. The only difference is that, in New Jersey, the law requires one to retreat outside of their home if "complete safety" in doing so is guaranteed.

Texas has what's known as a "stand your ground" approach which means no retreat is ever required.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Actually, they're not that different. Like Texas, New Jersey has enacted a Castle Doctrine law so people can protect their lives. The only difference is that, in New Jersey, the law requires one to retreat outside of their home if "complete safety" in doing so is guaranteed.

Texas has what's known as a "stand your ground" approach which means no retreat is ever required.
Oh alright so basically you're saying that I can kill the intruder if I can't flee safely.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I mean, when he says wildlife. Who is he referring too? The majority of people that live in Camden, Irvington and Trenton are black.
I believe he's referring to the surprising number of people in those communities who don't feel murder is such a big deal. Black or not, there is a big crime problem among those who live in urban areas - accepting it as a way of life, obstructing law enforcement efforts to control it and the overall breakdown of the family structure that leads to it in the first place.

As a suburban dude, I'm not going to tell urban folks how to fix it (how the hell should I know?) but anyone whose ever spent any time in these places, I'm sure, would feel much safer if they were packing. I know I would. Hell, I have a family member who's a Trenton cop and is scared enough in that jungle while he's carrying a gun.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:21 PM

1,977 posts, read 7,756,664 times
Quote:
I understand where you're coming from but seriously though, what is the point of owning a gun though? To me, honestly speaking, if I'm going to buy me a gun, I'm going to hurt somebody, some animal or destory something with it. Forget collecting it, showing it off to my friends, acting tough, going to the range, that's just nonsense. You know... I'd get a buck worth out of my bang. Solely going to the shooting range to test my aim to see how well I could shoot up a paper target is pointless. Bullets are NOT cheap and neither is a gun. That's just me though. That's what guns are made for. If you're not using it for what it's purpose then you really shouldn't own one.
Heres another example, if you had the money, you could go out and buy a $3,000,000 Bugatti Veyron (fastest production car in the world). What could anyone possibly do with that kind of car legally? Not much. To use the car as intended would put everyone's life in danger who might be travelling on the road with that vehicle. Does that stop people from buying them? Does that mean the gov should outlaw those vehicles? Nope.

There are some people who see the sport in shooting. I myself have competed in various shooting contests. Because of the amount of shooting I have done I am very confident in my use and handling of the weapon and do not feel threatened by it. Its is a tool and nothing more. Some people will use it for illegal purposes. I would bet my life on the fact that if gun ownership was so prevalent that a thief or mugger or murderer had to really stop and think twice because they would never know who actually had a gun, the crimes and violence in this world would be drastically reduced.

Criminals do not obey gun laws. Gun laws ONLY hurt law abiding citizens by creating unarmed prey for criminals.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Oh alright so basically you're saying that I can kill the intruder if I can't flee safely.
Yes, basically. I mean, if the "intruder" is a girl scout who came to sell you cookies and she walked in the front door without your permission, you're going to have a problem. The law does provide that you must reasonably fear some type of bodily injury, so a situation such as a home invasion would certainly qualify.

Old 11-02-2009, 09:33 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,769,895 times
Quote:

Would you want somebody like doc1 owning a handgun? I mean, when he says wildlife. Who is he referring too? The majority of people that live in Camden, Irvington and Trenton are black. Most of the people that live in those communities are law abiding citizens. I guess he feels threatened when he sees a black people walking around in his community in which a lot of other people do as well.

But regardless, people in here don't even know the law when it comes to self defense anyway. Jersey is NOT Texas when it comes to shooting a burglar roaming inside your house.
I would disagree with that. I dont think that 50% of adults in those areas are law abiding citizens (not including Trenton)....

Old 11-02-2009, 10:36 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,962,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Spend more time walking Camden, Irvington or Trenton at night. Plenty of wildlife.
doc, you have officially excluded yourself for any & all "grown folks are talking" conversations in the New Jersey forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey