Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 03:56 AM

18 posts, read 66,732 times

Advertisements

I do not force everyone to agree with what I have said, and for those in disbelief, just come to paliasdes park and see with your own eyes. when i came to this country from korea, i came speaking not a word of english, and i took the efforts of learning the language, and in a short amount of time, i was conversing enough to know and get by, so when I hear other koreans saying that we can't speak the language because english is hard, then i have very little sympathies. it is not an easy language to learn, just like any other language when you are trying to learn it past your learning prime time frame. but one has to give it a try. I won't talk of the other race as they do not affect me in anyway, but koreans do. annaegel seems to have this kind of problems as well, so someone knows that I am not just making racistic remarks, but the truth, nothing but the truth.
being americana is about respecting others, and not invading their property, not on the road, not at the library, not at the school, not at the courts, not anywhere. it is about learning about the culture that one has meshed into, blending in, and become part of the society. as miyagi said from the karate kid movies "stand in the middle of the road, squash" and this seems to become the tainted water in the american society. they forget the oldways, yet they are not willing to learn the new ways. I have koreans coming to court and demanding that we get them a korean interpretor, when they should be asking politely, not making demands. and the state caters to them, and it just becomes one unproductive circle. and these people don't seems to get the idea of how much of a stipulation it carries, when they don't abide by "do you swear or affirm to tell the truth, nothing but the truth in the court of law"

Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 AM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
I have a great story about a Korean vet. He basically saved my little Otto's life (Otto is my cat) he took him FOR FREE, ran a huge amount of test out of his pocket kept the cat for a week. Called me because I was ready to give him up due to medical issues. He told me what was wrong, how to clear up Otto's medical issues and told me either I come get him he is cured or he will adopt him out but not kill him!! Thats a pretty damn nice Korean. Koreans are the best! Give them a chance, try to get to know them, very generous people!!

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 AM

i am making a reference to koreans living in palisades park, of those with the attitude of "free country, i do as i please" that's a wrong attitude to have.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:34 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,292 times
Isn't it a "FREE COUNTRY" and why are you "GENERALIZING. Hell this happens EVERYWHERE IN EVERY CITY IN THE UNITED STATES.

I mean dang I find it funny how folks don't consider themselves prejudice,was gonna use another word but decided to be politically correct, but will make a whole thread on one ethnic group when they are upset at one dang thing.. SMDGH

Old 11-02-2009, 10:33 AM

563 posts, read 1,286,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroasia View Post
i am making a reference to koreans living in palisades park, of those with the attitude of "free country, i do as i please" that's a wrong attitude to have.
I think that is same attitude a lot of teens have, white, black, asian whatever. Its a sign of the times and there is not much you can do to stop it.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:40 PM

ok teens are teens, and they will always be. yes when i was a teenager, i've had a rebellious attitude, but how do you explain that kind of behavior coming from someone whose in their 40's and up? there is not an excuse for that kind of behavior when one should be setting an example. .

Old 11-03-2009, 01:40 PM

3,219 posts, read 6,582,736 times
I can say changes in Fairview too.

Old 11-03-2009, 01:51 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambroasia View Post
Since you are from Korea, maybe you can enlighten us as to how Koreans act in Korea. Is the stuff they are doing in Palisades Park similar to how Koreans act in a town in Korea? In other words, is it cultural? If not, then is there some interaction between Korean culture and values and American culture and values going on?

Old 11-03-2009, 02:12 PM

5,616 posts, read 15,521,566 times
the Korean vet was in Parsippany, Dr. Lee, Parsippany Lake area. He was the best. I wish more people acted like this Korean. He was generous, I never had any contact with a Korean before, had no need. I think that they are great people. this one vet and his wife were so good. Funny all the joke I believed about Asians until I saw such compassion for me and my little Otto. This guy is a real GEM!!!

Old 11-03-2009, 02:43 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,249,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Since you are from Korea, maybe you can enlighten us as to how Koreans act in Korea. Is the stuff they are doing in Palisades Park similar to how Koreans act in a town in Korea? In other words, is it cultural? If not, then is there some interaction between Korean culture and values and American culture and values going on?
In my opinion, the behavior in worse in South Korea currently. I immigrated to US in '89 and gone back to visit my relatives every 5 year or so on average. Culture in South Korea have shifted quite a bit since I immigrated and a helluva a lot more since OP immigrated (OP said he immigrated in 70s).

Current South Korean culture has taken too much of capitalism aspect of US culture and freedom without responsibilities. Once again this is just purely my opinion. This isn't to say all recently immigrated Koreans are like that and actually a lot of recently immigrated folks are hard working. Just to clarify when I say recent I mean in the 2000-2009.

Anyhow in my opinion, this is more than just US vs. Immigrated culture & value thing going on. It's more like earlier generation of immigrants and now Americanized coming to terms with difference of new generation of immigrants and not yet Americanized.

Lastly, this happens to every race. My Chinese American friends have similar if not same problem with newly immigrated folks from mainland China in places like...Flushing and Chinatown.

Edit: But hey, this is how we as Americans melt together and form America right? Takes time for newly immigrated folks to Americanize. If not the newly immigrated folks then their children. Just matter of time, it's inevitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey