Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 06:43 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,517 times

Advertisements

I'm actually a Philadelphia native. Moved with my family to Turnersville when I was 17. Moved out (with BF) to Collingswood a few years ago with my BF. Overall, I do like NJ. I don't own a house yet, so I haven't experienced the anxiety of these retarded property taxes yet, lol

At first I really didn't like NJ. Was too suburban for me..but I learned to like it. I think it's just.. generally being so close to everything. Close to Philly (for me, as in I live in South Jersey), but also close to NY. 2 hours isn't really all that far, IMO.

For the most part, I enjoy the MIDDLE CLASS people here in NJ, LOL not the snobs or the people who WANT to be snobs or the people who watch the Sopranos and think they are Italian now.

So, what about you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

11,345 posts, read 16,705,526 times
That hopefully the people will come to their senses and get rid of Corslime tomorrow.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:02 PM

168 posts, read 424,809 times
As funny as it sounds, especially to the people that put down NJ, I liked the people and the feel of North Jersey where I was at. I lived in Newark (Roseville) then later moved to Montclair (wasn't as fond of it, but still like it better than where I am now). I liked the options I had as far as Jersey and all the things it had to offer (if I wanted to be in NYC, I could be there; if I wanted to be at the shore, it was within an hour and a half of less depnding on where I went; lots of different restaurants, etc.) I thought it was expensive when living in NJ, but now that I am in Northern Virginia (Alexandria city) I see that it really wasn't nearly as bad as I thought. It's funny because people say that NJ residents are stand offish and so on, but I feel I have had way harder of a time making friends and dealing with the attitudes of people in the DC metro (I guess it is because they are a totally different type of animal down here. Anyone that has lived here probably sees it.) And while the DC area is diverse, I don't feel any sense of community between people down here like I did in NJ. I felt like I had a lot of friends of all different backgrounds up there, but down here it feels like people "stick to their own". I also had friends that lived in South Jersey and I liked the area down there outside of Philly. I am now at the point of either wanting to relocate to back to NJ, NYC, South Florida (Broward or Dade), or Tampa. Problem is I am getting a new job here in NOVA and will probably be here until at least next summer. I may try to get my NJ and NY teaching certifications though so that by next school year I have the option to come back in addition to go to Florida if an opportunity comes up.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:19 PM

5 posts, read 7,555 times
No matter how much people try to make Jersey out at this terrible place, there's a reason why it has one of the country's biggest populations eventhough it's such a small state. I'm a South Jersey native (born, raised, and currently reside) and Jersey just has that "it" factor that makes it home to lots of people. I know very few who has left the state and has actually stayed away. I also know very few people who has come here, for whatever reason, and then gon back to wherever they were originally from.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:29 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,923 times
Well, surprisingly enough, I had to think a good moment before I could respond. What do I like about NJ? Nothing. Really, nothing. There's really nothing here that I could say would keep me here or would make me stay. Every state in the U.S. has what Jersey has and more. I know my way around here, know my way to my home, I know my way to the supermarket, etc. But otherwise, I really don't have a love for this place. There's nothing distinct about Jersey that makes me want to give up my New York ties and say I'm a full blown Jerseyan. The people over here... I know I've said the Jersey attitude and whatever. Now, I don't care because I've gotten so bored that I don't even care about people in general. There's really nothing over here to do besides the typical "go here, go there, go to this store to look at something". It quite boring and routine. To me, this place is somewhere where you actually will have time on your hands to think about what's wrong with your life.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:40 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Well, surprisingly enough, I had to think a good moment before I could respond. What do I like about NJ? Nothing. Really, nothing. There's really nothing here that I could say would keep me here or would make me stay. Every state in the U.S. has what Jersey has and more. I know my way around here, know my way to my home, I know my way to the supermarket, etc. But otherwise, I really don't have a love for this place. There's nothing distinct about Jersey that makes me want to give up my New York ties and say I'm a full blown Jerseyan. The people over here... I know I've said the Jersey attitude and whatever. Now, I don't care because I've gotten so bored that I don't even care about people in general. There's really nothing over here to do besides the typical "go here, go there, go to this store to look at something". It quite boring and routine. To me, this place is somewhere where you actually will have time on your hands to think about what's wrong with your life.
And you'll be a miserable person anywhere because everything you said could be said about any state if you're just a miserable unhappy person.

NJ has TONS of diversity from the farms, to the small towns, to the hills and forests, to the big cities... NJ has tons of entertainment whether it be theme parks, the shore, or everything else... NJ has jobs, you have the ability to change companies, to pursue a career aggressively and to make a great salary doing it. Last, NJ is just a fantastic location... from South Jersey I'm within 3 hours, by car, of NYC, Phillidelphia, Washington DC, and Baltimore. There's history, there's diversity, there's just a ton of options. I challenge you to find any other place in the US that offers what NJ does in terms of opportunity and diversity.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
And you'll be a miserable person anywhere because everything you said could be said about any state if you're just a miserable unhappy person.

NJ has TONS of diversity from the farms, to the small towns, to the hills and forests, to the big cities... NJ has tons of entertainment whether it be theme parks, the shore, or everything else... NJ has jobs, you have the ability to change companies, to pursue a career aggressively and to make a great salary doing it. Last, NJ is just a fantastic location... from South Jersey I'm within 3 hours, by car, of NYC, Phillidelphia, Washington DC, and Baltimore. There's history, there's diversity, there's just a ton of options. I challenge you to find any other place in the US that offers what NJ does in terms of opportunity and diversity.
Okay, fam. Why is it that every single person born and bred in Jersey has to sound like they're from the state tourist board talking about what Jersey has and doesn't have? Funny how you mention jobs too. You know how many jobless people I know that live here and can't get a job. If there's any reason why I would leave Jersey, it's because of you "you can't say that about Jersey, look @ what we got" clowns. All you guys are LYING because most of you never go to the same places you keep on mentioning on your "things to do in Jersey" list. Calling me miserable when you are too. Half of the people in Jersey act miserable as hell anyway, why is that?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:02 PM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Okay, fam. Why is it that every single person born and bred in Jersey has to sound like they're from the state tourist board talking about what Jersey has and doesn't have? Funny how you mention jobs too. You know how many jobless people I know that live here and can't get a job. If there's any reason why I would leave Jersey, it's because of you "you can't say that about Jersey, look @ what we got" clowns. All you guys are LYING because most of you never go to the same places you keep on mentioning on your "things to do in Jersey" list. Calling me miserable when you are too. Half of the people in Jersey act miserable as hell anyway, why is that?
I was born and raised in ND... I moved to NJ while in college when my fiancee graduated. Nice try though. I love my life... I have a great job... am in the process of buying a great house... have a great wife and 3 gorgeous daughters.

You're miserable and because of that you're going to filter your perception to only see what supports you're beliefs... that's human nature. Now this is supposed to be a thread about what you like about NJ. Since you obviously have nothing to add, how about you find a different thread to bog down with your negativity.

Old 11-02-2009, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
I was born and raised in ND... I moved to NJ while in college when my fiancee graduated. Nice try though. I love my life... I have a great job... am in the process of buying a great house... have a great wife and 3 gorgeous daughters.

You're miserable and because of that you're going to filter your perception to only see what supports you're beliefs... that's human nature. Now this is supposed to be a thread about what you like about NJ. Since you obviously have nothing to add, how about you find a different thread to bog down with your negativity.
Okay, good for you man. But like I said, I doubt you yourself has taken advantage of the "many things" to do in Jersey. With that said, what's the point of telling me that?

And let's be real here, just because YOU found yourself a job doesn't mean that other people will be as fortunate. Like I said, I know people without jobs right now. What do you have to tell them? How about the people that are moving out of Jersey?

Old 11-03-2009, 01:53 AM

20,330 posts, read 19,925,039 times
Quote:
So what DO you like about NJ?
The natural beauty and topography of Sussex and Warren Counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey