Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 01:15 PM

4 posts, read 7,145 times

Advertisements

My husband is a family physician and we are thinking about moving to New Jersey from San Diego. he currently is working for a company and we are barely making ends meet. California a not a great place to be doctor since the HMO's took over the entire state. CA is the 51st state in Reimbursement for doctors. Texas being number 1 and New jersey #3. The reason we want to move to NJ is because we used to live there for a while when he was doing his residency and we really like the culture and the life style of the East coast. Many People say "why would you move from San Diego to NJ, are you crazy" but these people are also the same people who think NJ is a dump. I totally disagree with this of course since I know what it's like to live there.

Anyhow in the beginning we plan on working for a clinic there and then eventually within a year start looking into private practice. I was wondering if any of you are doctors or know of any doctors that can give us a little more information as to how likely is it to be able to run a successful private family practice office? Does anyone know what kind of income is likely for this line of work in New Jersey?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 01:27 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
I can tell you that a good friend of mine had a chiropractic practice in NJ for around 8 years, and he's in the process of closing his doors and becoming a teacher- says he can make more money teaching, which is scary. During his time in his practice, the insurance companies in NJ have gotten so absurd that he's had to go from one girl in the office who handled the front desk, appointment scheduling, and billing to needing three girls to do the same amount of work- every claim gets rejected at least once, they cut the amount he gets paid for services every year, and insurance premiums are through the roof.

I'm not sure where you got the #3 ranking info from, but I'd make sure you confirm it from multiple sources before making the move.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM

127 posts, read 310,990 times
My cousin is a chiropractor in Northern NJ and he just built his new home with a wing on his huge new house where he operates his practice. He worked in a professional building complex for about 10 years till he could build his house. He is very wealthy from being a chiropractor. I don't know why BobKovacs's friend can make more teaching, but I would say this is a case of "individual results may vary". I know my cousin makes a ton of money because he is good at what he does.

I'd bet the #3 ranking is probably accurate. There's just a lot of people who don't like living here and they put down the state, don't pay attention to the naysayers.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,145 times
I think it is different for Chiropractors. the insurance companies really do not pay them. I believe MD's get reimbursed differently.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:18 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,954,237 times
Her husband isn't a chiropractor. Makes no sense to compare a chiropractor to a (real) physician.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:19 PM

I don't know their salaries, but all the doctors I know are doing really well here.

Old 11-04-2009, 04:27 PM

1,552 posts, read 4,633,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolma View Post
My husband is a family physician and we are thinking about moving to New Jersey from San Diego.
Think again.

I know several doctors who are not happy with conditions working in NJ (I'm not one myself and don't understand the issues) and are actively looking to move elsewhere. I think CA and NJ (and most of the Northeast) are probably very similar in many respect. I have a few friends who practice in Texas and they seem much more content, but I don't know the details.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 36,382,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Her husband isn't a chiropractor. Makes no sense to compare a chiropractor to a (real) physician.
When they both have to deal with the same insurance companies, and the billing issues, rejected payments, short-pays, etc., it does. A chiropractor may not be a "real" doctor in your opinion, but they've got to work with "real" insurance companies to get paid.....

Old 11-04-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
When they both have to deal with the same insurance companies, and the billing issues, rejected payments, short-pays, etc., it does. A chiropractor may not be a "real" doctor in your opinion, but they've got to work with "real" insurance companies to get paid.....
That's true, if they can get reimbursement.

But the opportunities for real doctors are different than for chiropractors, for better or for worse.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:30 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolma View Post
California a not a great place to be doctor since the HMO's took over the entire state. CA is the 51st state in Reimbursement for doctors. Texas being number 1 and New jersey #3.
Did we add a state when I wasn't looking?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: