Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2009, 09:37 AM

119 posts, read 472,725 times

Advertisements

I've been away for about a month from this area staying down in Florida with my family and I came back to some crazy changes. The thing that struck me was that Francesco's pizzeria went out of business! That place has been open for as long as I can remember (had to be at least 20 years or so).. Does anyone know why or what happened? It's really sad to see NJ in this current state with businesses dropping like flies. For some reason fast food places seem to be doing well though, and they keep building new ones. I tried googling about this, but I can never ever find any information online about this area. The only way to find out is through people that know people.

Anyone else witness some long time businesses biting the dust recently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 02:49 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
I know many are barely hanging on and some even have a date they're closing down within the next few months. Support the Mom and Pops! Not the large fastfood chains! I think our freedom depends on the ability for small business to do well.

Old 11-05-2009, 03:05 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
It's tough to make a living making pizzas. In Manahawkin, I'd try Pietro's Pizza, as they're family owned and IMO have some of the best pizza I think I've ever had. They also own Surf City Pizza on the island.

But yes, the Sonic drive-in is doing quite well. I haven't stopped in yet. Also, a Dunkin' Donuts is opening on Rt. 72 where Boater's World was supposed to open before the company went out of business earlier this year.

Old 11-05-2009, 05:31 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
I've been away for about a month from this area staying down in Florida with my family and I came back to some crazy changes. The thing that struck me was that Francesco's pizzeria went out of business! That place has been open for as long as I can remember (had to be at least 20 years or so).. Does anyone know why or what happened? It's really sad to see NJ in this current state with businesses dropping like flies. For some reason fast food places seem to be doing well though, and they keep building new ones. I tried googling about this, but I can never ever find any information online about this area. The only way to find out is through people that know people.

Anyone else witness some long time businesses biting the dust recently?
I live up north but visit Manahawkin frequently. Was that the pizzeria in the ShopRite shopping center?

Old 11-05-2009, 06:06 PM

119 posts, read 472,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I live up north but visit Manahawkin frequently. Was that the pizzeria in the ShopRite shopping center?
Yup that was it.. I thought they had some of the best pizza in the area and it's sad it's gone. Thought someone might know what happened..

Quote:
In Manahawkin, I'd try Pietro's Pizza, as they're family owned and IMO have some of the best pizza I think I've ever had. They also own Surf City Pizza on the island.

But yes, the Sonic drive-in is doing quite well. I haven't stopped in yet. Also, a Dunkin' Donuts is opening on Rt. 72 where Boater's World was supposed to open before the company went out of business earlier this year.
Where is Pietro's Pizza? The name rings a bell but I forgot where it is located. I figured Dunkin Donuts was moving somewhere else, because the location on Rt 9 that has been there for many many years as well shut down, and I thought that was unusual.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:08 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,919,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjh20 View Post
Where is Pietro's Pizza? The name rings a bell but I forgot where it is located. I figured Dunkin Donuts was moving somewhere else, because the location on Rt 9 that has been there for many many years as well shut down, and I thought that was unusual.
Pietro's is in the shopping plaza on Bay Ave. where the DMV office is. It's a great place and totally family-owned. Very nice people own it, I believe they are legitimately from Italy too, which is nice to see!

I think the Dunkin' Donuts thing is sort of in flux. They built a huge building on Rt. 72 that was going to be a Boater's World but BW went out of business. DD committed to moving in but I think they're waiting for a few other businesses to get in the building too, as it would be silly for one little store to move into a portion of such a big place.

Also, Surfside Furniture is moving back onto Rt. 72 right next to their old building, which is now a Lester Glenn Hyundai dealership

Old 11-05-2009, 09:40 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,952,205 times
There's a pizza/sub shop next to dunkin donuts on rt 9, how is that? I think the sub shop is jersey joes, not sure?

I'm down Manahawkin every 2 weeks and stop at Shoprite for a sub as I don't know where to get a good sub down there.

Old 11-06-2009, 04:09 PM

72 posts, read 309,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
There's a pizza/sub shop next to dunkin donuts on rt 9, how is that? I think the sub shop is jersey joes, not sure?

I'm down Manahawkin every 2 weeks and stop at Shoprite for a sub as I don't know where to get a good sub down there.
That's Jersey Mikes's and they're decent. I would guess definitely better than ShopRite subs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey