Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyKdros View Post
Teachers also have meetings both after school and on days off, conferences, and lots of grading and administrative work to do. My roommate out of college was a 4th grade teacher and most evenings she spent an hour or two doing her own homework - grading papers. Also she would have to submit lesson plans and do other administrative work. I have a cousin who is a teacher and he also coaches two sports. He gets paid extra for it but he also works a lot of evenings and weekends for that.

So to say they only work 182 days at 6 and 1/2 hours a day is frankly just stupid and misleading. They put in 8+ hour days on average and on a lot of those days kids are not in school they are going to work still.

The only reason people whine about teachers is because they have a union and the right-wing conservatives hate unions so they focus their criticism at every union in the world and that's because conservatives are all stupid morons.
Quantify it. How many days do they go to class when students are out? 4, 8 a year? Okay, they're up to 190 work days a year... far less than the 240 of the private sector... he chooses to coach? I'm thrilled he gets paid for his OT, I don't. No one forced him to, he did it for more income so it's really irrelevent.

Compare the number of hours a year you think a teacher works to the bare minimum of someone in the private world, I'll do the math for you, 1920 hours, you'll find that a teacher works less. I'd also challenge you to find someone in the private world who's successful only working 1920 hours, you'd likely have to add 500 hours to that as most of us work 10 hour days on average, but the 1920 will be plenty to show teachers don't work as "hard" as people in the private sector who do so without even a pension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 09:38 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,086,717 times
Please...

How can you argue that being a teacher is tough.

The days off, the pay, the pension, and you're working with kids after all.

I know plenty of teachers and they love their job and do not complain about it being so tough. There are definitely tougher jobs out there.

And why don't I do it? I considered it. But there are plenty of other jobs out there that pay well or have great benefits that I don't do because I'm interested in different things.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:41 AM

127 posts, read 310,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Quantify it. How many days do they go to class when students are out? 4, 8 a year? Okay, they're up to 190 work days a year... far less than the 240 of the private sector... he chooses to coach? I'm thrilled he gets paid for his OT, I don't. No one forced him to, he did it for more income so it's really irrelevent.

Compare the number of hours a year you think a teacher works to the bare minimum of someone in the private world, I'll do the math for you, 1920 hours, you'll find that a teacher works less. I'd also challenge you to find someone in the private world who's successful only working 1920 hours, you'd likely have to add 500 hours to that as most of us work 10 hour days on average, but the 1920 will be plenty to show teachers don't work as "hard" as people in the private sector who do so without even a pension.
What a crybaby you are. If teaching is such a good gig then aren't you stupid for not going into it? Last I checked we have a choice of jobs this isn't communist China where they make you work where they tell you. If you don't like working 10 hours a day with no overtime then you are stupid to keep doing it. That's the definition of insanity you keep doing something you hate and then whine about it, it's like hitting your head with a hammer over and over and then complaining that the hammer is hitting your head.

Man up little boy and go get a job that pays you OT if it's such a big deal. Or become a teacher if you think it's such a good gig, if I thought it was a good gig you bet your ass I would be one, but that is a pain in the ass job, dealing with kids, grading papers, dealing with idiot parents who work against you, dealing with stupid administrators, forget it - even with all the big benefits and pay it isn't worth it. But you think it's some kind of cherry job so why wouldn't you do it? Are you insane?

Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,655,052 times
Quote:
What a crybaby you are. If teaching is such a good gig then aren't you stupid for not going into it? Last I checked we have a choice of jobs this isn't communist China where they make you work where they tell you. If you don't like working 10 hours a day with no overtime then you are stupid to keep doing it. That's the definition of insanity you keep doing something you hate and then whine about it, it's like hitting your head with a hammer over and over and then complaining that the hammer is hitting your head.

Man up little boy and go get a job that pays you OT if it's such a big deal. Or become a teacher if you think it's such a good gig, if I thought it was a good gig you bet your ass I would be one, but that is a pain in the ass job, dealing with kids, grading papers, dealing with idiot parents who work against you, dealing with stupid administrators, forget it - even with all the big benefits and pay it isn't worth it. But you think it's some kind of cherry job so why wouldn't you do it? Are you insane?
he said why he isnt a teacher. because he is willing to work harder and put in more time in order to earn more money.

i couldnt be a teacher because i have to bring home the bacon. however, i would be very happy for my wife to be a teacher.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:47 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,750,435 times
I also agree that a teachers job is easy. Over the years I have meet several teachers (most in a social context, 2 are family friends, one is very good friends with my wife) and had conversations about this very aspect of the job. When compared to other white collar jobs of similar pay, there is nowhere near the amount of work and stress put upon teachers. In most cases a teachers day consists of teaching a lesson plan that is dictated to them by their district. In some distrcts, these lesson plans havent changed in YEARS. Sure they may have some hard to handle children but that comes with the job. After class they may have tons of busy work such as grading papers, getting ready for the next day, possibly dealing with the administration but thats about it. Whats "hard" about grading papers. Time consuming, but not hard. Also, as previously stated, they get tons of days off, great benefits / healthcare AND A PENSION!!!!!

There are no deadlines. They generally dont have bosses screaming at them about their production. They dont have to travel. They are not juggling many different projects, tasks at the same time all day long. They dont generally have to dress for work, business casual is fine and even jeans are permitted in many schools. They have few distractions during the day, once the door to the classroom is closed they are left on their own. Oh wait, they have to deal with parents every once in a while. So I guess there is one bad thing, they have to be accounable for their actions.

So, for those on the other side of the fence, Ive gone over why a teachers job is easy. Please enlighten us as to how their job is hard.

Edit--

I am not a teacher because I have little patience for adults. Even less for whiney children. I gte paid on quantifiable performance goals. The more I do, the better I do, the more I get. I LOVE what I do so I cannot fathom doing anything else. My only issue is that they get paid well for little real work. I am not complainaing about my job, or theirs. Im trying to understand how a teachers job is HARD.

Last edited by RobRiguez; 11-11-2009 at 09:56 AM..

Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM

1,931 posts, read 3,411,788 times
Nope no deadlines at all. Ignorance is bliss.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Complaining is what they are good at.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Because if I had to walk a mile in every single person's shoes before I could comment on anything, or in your opinion be "informed" than I'd never be able to comment on anything but my own life, neither would anyone else. Believe it or not, there are far more ways to learn about something than by real life experience with it. In something like this, I'm guessing EVERY single member of this board has had encounters with teachers as we were likely ALL students at the very least. You didn't learn anything about your teachers than? You don't know anyone who works as a teacher now?

Things I can learn by observing... my teacher neighbor's car is there when I leave in the morning and back there before I come home in the evening, his "at work" day is shorter than mine... he doesn't work over the summer... some of my teachers took 4 days to grade tests, others had them back the next day... some of my teachers attempted to challenge every student in the class, others told me to go out in the hall and play games... some teachers were available for help after 3:30 pm, others were in their cars before I could get my book bag in my locker...

These are all things I KNOW without ever having spent 1 single day working as a teacher. I'm sure I could go on and on about what else I know but I won't at this time. I don't need to be a teacher to form opinions, there are plenty of facts available to draw conclusions upon.

As for why I don't do it? Because the income is capped. I could choose to do simple work at okay pay or I can do really hard work at tremendous pay. I made the decision to do the later. Beyond that, I pride myself on doing things well. I don't think I'd be a great teacher... not due to work ethic or anything of that nature that people tend to use to distinguish good from bad teachers (she's good because she's working at 9pm right? Maybe she's just a really slow grader? Nah, we shouldn't go there)... but more so because I have a hard time communicating my thought process to others, even intelligent educated others. I just think a different way then some at a different level than most. I couldn't break things down to an elementary level and go beyond simply explaining it, but actually teach them the steps. Teachers often leaned on me to tutor during class and I wasn't effective then, I probably wouldn't be now. So I don't do it.

If your wife is so underpaid and underappreciated... why doesn't she get a real job?

Silly person I am sure you are getting rich ripping somebody off in the private sector. Keep doing it and keep complaining. By the way my wife is a slow grader for sure, you on the other hand are brilliant.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:00 AM

OHh and keep up the crying, you are good at that too.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:03 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,750,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bababua View Post
Nope no deadlines at all. Ignorance is bliss.
Correct, no deadlines. They will not get fired if they dont have a test graded by Monday morning. They will not lose a $1000 bonus by being sick with the flu and making the kids take a test on Friday instead of Thursday. They dont get phone calls in the middle of the night saying that their lesson plan wasnt filed and, because of this, none of the teachers can teach the next day.

Again, if im wrong, show me how im wrong. You call ignorance yet give no rebuttal as to how this is true. I will gladly change my opinion if a valid argument can be made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey