Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 07:33 AM

232 posts, read 612,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
Socio-economics determine ones innocence or guilt. Not actually being innocent or guilty.
Ya know, in my mind you kinda lose all credibility when you make a statement like this. Certainly these things are a factor, but to say that is what determines innocence or guilt, I think that's a bit too far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 07:40 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,937,961 times
Quote:
Like the OP stated, NJ has had Capital Punishment on the books for many, many years & used it very sparingly. There is a reason for that.
Yet here comes CaptainNJ...................... Thirsty for blood like this is Texas.

Lets round up the posse. Yeee Hawwwwhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NJ HAD the death penalty on the books, but never used it. It is no longer on our books, unfortunately.

Jon Corzine abolished the death penalty in NJ back in 2007.

Last edited by Bill Keegan; 11-11-2009 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 11-11-2009, 07:50 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
its interesting how someone assumes that the vast majority of people agree with their thinking just because their thinking is currently consistent with the law. in reality, even if you get your way there could be 49% of the population who is opposed to it (or even more). not to mention the fact that legislators can pass laws that are actually contrary to public opinion. just look at whats going on now with regards to gay marriage. so far in every state that has put it to a public vote, gay marriage has lost. however, some states allow it because of corrupt legislators. you also have the passage of the health bill in the house despite the fact that most people are opposed to it. you even have legislators that voted for it that are opposed to it. politics is a silly game.

i think its selfish to be opposed to the death penalty (lets say in instances where evidence can prove guilt with 100% certainty). if someone raped and murdered your wife and/or children, you would need to be some kind of crazy jesus freak to not want them to die a painful death.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:12 AM

1,977 posts, read 7,755,358 times
I agree that a juror's perception of an accused may have an affect on their judgement. Jurors are only human and its known that jurys do sometimes convict on a "feeling". This doesnt change the need for capitol punishment. I just think that there are Evil Evil people on this planet that should not be allowed to live. Evil does exist and we should not tolerate it. In a case where there is undoubtable evidence (such as video or a "Smoking gun") the death penalty should absolutely be an option. I also feel that hard labor should be required for all inmates. Prison should be PUNISHMENT and not mean simply being removed from society and put on the goverments teet for a certain number of years.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:20 AM

82 posts, read 139,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
6 to 7 years is way too long. it shouldnt have taken 6 to 7 minutes. just drag him out behind the courthouse and put a bullet in his head.
I just took a course sponsored by the Pima County DA, Barbara LaWall. It was called the Citizens Prosecution Academy. What I learned in the class about death row is that it's the appeals process that drags out the eventual date of execution. That process is particularly bad in the Southwest because the 19th Circuit Court of Appeals, in San Francisco, handles too many cases. (There are reasons in addition to caseload, but that's the main problem in this part of the country.) Some folks in AZ sit on death row for over 20 years.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:05 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
I just took a course sponsored by the Pima County DA, Barbara LaWall. It was called the Citizens Prosecution Academy. What I learned in the class about death row is that it's the appeals process that drags out the eventual date of execution. That process is particularly bad in the Southwest because the 19th Circuit Court of Appeals, in San Francisco, handles too many cases. (There are reasons in addition to caseload, but that's the main problem in this part of the country.) Some folks in AZ sit on death row for over 20 years.

and in the case of death penalty cases there should be an appeal process.
there have been cases where a death row inmate has now been freed beacuse of the DNA testing today, many were convicted on "eye witness" testimony which doesn't hold much water with me.

I'm not against the DP but do think every avenue should be exhausted before you execute someone.....of course there are always the exceptions where the evidence is cold hard facts but that is usually the exception not the norm

Old 11-11-2009, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Like the OP stated, NJ has had Capital Punishment on the books for many, many years & used it very sparingly. There is a reason for that.
Yet here comes CaptainNJ...................... Thirsty for blood like this is Texas.

Lets round up the posse. Yeee Hawwwwhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So how long did you live in Texas? I lived there for 7 years. How many Texans do you know that qualifies you to make such a blanket generalization? I know hundreds of them--all good, decent, fair, hospitable people.

I wish extremists, Left and Right, would stop parroting their party rhetoric. Makes THEM sound ignorant, closed-minded, and tunnel-visioned, stuck in their own tiny narrow world.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:23 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2Cfan View Post
So how long did you live in Texas? I lived there for 7 years. How many Texans do you know that qualifies you to make such a blanket generalization? I know hundreds of them--all good, decent, fair, hospitable people.

I wish extremists, Left and Right, would stop parroting their party rhetoric. Makes THEM sound ignorant, closed-minded, and tunnel-visioned, stuck in their own tiny narrow world.
1. i am a good, decent, fair and hospitable person.

2. i am a right wing extremist and the last thing i would do is parrot republican party rhetoric.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
and in the case of death penalty cases there should be an appeal process.
there have been cases where a death row inmate has now been freed beacuse of the DNA testing today, many were convicted on "eye witness" testimony which doesn't hold much water with me.

I'm not against the DP but do think every avenue should be exhausted before you execute someone.....of course there are always the exceptions where the evidence is cold hard facts but that is usually the exception not the norm
I AGREE. Not one innocent person should ever be jailed, let alone die, so I sure hope you didn't construe from my statement about the appeals process that I thought otherwise. EVERYONE deserves to have their case appealed. However, when one hears the details of the process, one realizes that it goes on far too long, is redundant and wasteful, especially since DNA evidence is at an advanced stage in the criminal justice system.

One inmate from AZ on death row, who ADMITTED to the crime, begged for the appeals process to STOP and for him to be put to death. And still, one court overturned another, and round and round it went, for 22 years.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
1. i am a good, decent, fair and hospitable person.

2. i am a right wing extremist and the last thing i would do is parrot republican party rhetoric.
Well, Cap, I wasn't talking about you. I was referring to people who make gross generalizations about people whom they probably don't even know. Like the poster who referred to "bloodthirsty" Texans. Or the poster who doesn't know me but assumed I was gay because I support spousal rights for gays or that I was a Right "wingnut" because I have some beliefs that don't fit into their Democratic mold.

You might be solidly Right wing and/or conservative, but not an extremist, or what I personally consider to be extremist. The people I'm referring to consistently spout party rhetoric, labels, taglines. It's a kneejerk reaction for them. It requires no thought. I may not always agree with you, and vice versa, but you don't strike me as someone who makes comments automatically, without having given them forethought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: