U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2009, 08:37 AM

2,179 posts, read 6,363,406 times

Advertisements

Signed up for FiOS at the end of September for our new apartment. When I called Verizon, I was under the impression that I was speaking directly with an employee of the company. As the rep and I were going over my order, he notified me that there would be a 10 dollar charge to my credit card for the install fee. I said fine to this and gave him my CC info. The next day there was a charge for 10 dollars to my account under "service VRZ install fee", which was expected.

Today I received the first bill from Verizon and I see there is this "15 dollar administrative and install fee", so I called up and told them the credit card as already charged 10 dollars to cover this. The woman told me this was not possible since they don't charge for anything before the first bill is sent. I flew into a panic, so I went back through my statement and see another charge for 29.99.

I called up Visa and they immediately canceled the card and have opened a fraud investigation. Long story short, Verizon uses a third party company named The Elephant Group based in So. Plainfield to book the appointments for most of the metro area. I googled the company and they are under rip-off report, fraud watch, and have countless complaints for fraud and misrepresentation.

Just a heads-up if you have FiOS to check your statements very carefully. Tomorrow I am canceling and going back to cable, since I think a canceled card and my account being placed under fraud watch is reason enough to dump them after 34 days of service.

Old 11-11-2009, 08:53 AM

2,212 posts, read 6,693,397 times
I'm not a fan of Verizon, but the Elephant Group is a reseller. They also resell the cable companies, home security systems etc.

The warning should really be to be sure people are contacting the main company directly, not a third party reseller. Those guys are very aggressive in going after customers. I would also direct complaints about them to Verizon. If Verizon gets enough complaints, they may revoke their ability to resell.

As always, buyer beware.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2009, 08:58 AM

412 posts, read 1,260,964 times
I have Fios and the only problem I've had with them is they double charged me for my deposit which was $125.00. I wasn't charged an istall or activation fee, thank goodnes..

I called Verizon and they quickly resolved it and put the money back into my account.

I haven't had a problem with them since but I pay attention to all my bills and how much comes out of my account.

I love Fios and my first bill was exactly what the sales rep told me it would be and I only pay $160/month which isn't bad for two regular boxes and one DVR box with over 1000 cang channels that I still haven't watched, lol.

I would call Verizon again and tell them that you are going to cancel your account becuase of this problem.and I bet they will do something to keep you.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM

2,865 posts, read 8,882,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
I have Fios and the only problem I've had with them is they double charged me for my deposit which was $125.00. I wasn't charged an istall or activation fee, thank goodnes..

I called Verizon and they quickly resolved it and put the money back into my account.

I haven't had a problem with them since but I pay attention to all my bills and how much comes out of my account.

I love Fios and my first bill was exactly what the sales rep told me it would be and I only pay $160/month which isn't bad for two regular boxes and one DVR box with over 1000 cang channels that I still haven't watched, lol.

I would call Verizon again and tell them that you are going to cancel your account becuase of this problem.and I bet they will do something to keep you.
I know for a fact they will do something for him.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:44 AM

82 posts, read 288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post

I just signed up for FIOS and I'm worried about the TV and Internet taxes. They were not able to tell me how much they would be, except that it would be similar to other company's taxes, fees and surcharges. Comcast charges about $2/mo for taxes, fees, surcharges so if that is what it is, I'll be happy.

The deal I have is $90 for the first 3 months, and $116 for months 4-24, with 1 year agreement and $150 cash back. I have TV Extreme and 15/5 Internet, 1 HD set top box, 1 standard set top box, and 1 HD home media DVR.

Throw in Ooma for free monthly telephone (which is absolutely fantastic, I have it now for a few weeks), and I'm relatively satisfied with what I have and pay per month. Now I am still looking for an internet-based TV that is competitive with what I can get through a cable company, and I will be even much happier!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:06 AM

4,896 posts, read 10,962,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KL72 View Post
I just signed up for FIOS and I'm worried about the TV and Internet taxes. They were not able to tell me how much they would be, except that it would be similar to other company's taxes, fees and surcharges. Comcast charges about $2/mo for taxes, fees, surcharges so if that is what it is, I'll be happy.
I checked my bill and here are the TV taxes I pay. I don't see any taxes listed for internet service.

Tax & Fees
State tax $1.54
Video Franchise Fee $2.26
CATV Universal Access Fund $0.32
Total Tax & Fees $4.12

I would never go back to Comcast. After canceling my service after moving it took them almost 6 months to issue me a refund for unused service.

Old 11-11-2009, 10:09 AM

82 posts, read 288,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I checked my bill and here are the TV taxes I pay. I don't see any taxes listed for internet service.

Tax & Fees
State tax $1.54
Video Franchise Fee $2.26
CATV Universal Access Fund $0.32
Total Tax & Fees $4.12
That's not too bad at all, thanks so much!

Old 11-11-2009, 10:42 AM

273 posts, read 644,522 times
I had one woman lie to me on the phone saying the digital boxes are included in the price which they are not they are 5.99 per box.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:19 AM

412 posts, read 1,260,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midagegirl View Post
I had one woman lie to me on the phone saying the digital boxes are included in the price which they are not they are 5.99 per box.
One is included if you need additional it's extra. Same as Cablevision and Comcast.

Old 11-11-2009, 11:30 AM

861 posts, read 2,562,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midagegirl View Post
I don't think she lied.... the regular ones ARE free. The high def ones cost $5.99 per box.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey