Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2007, 06:32 PM

4 posts, read 18,653 times

Advertisements

is anyone familiar with this neighborhood? Yes or no to live here?

Im a graduating female student, single with no children and looking for a cheap place to live...1100 a month for rent
I need a safe neighborhood
VERY close to nyc transit as i am working in midtown
VERY SAFE or as safe as you can get in a metro area...im from the suburbs

Anynone know anywhere like this?
Specific towns in NY or NY
and specifi neigborhood because ive found that in looking there are certain areas of certain towns that are liveable and other that are not.

Thank you for all your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 10:37 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,926 times
Jersey City Hts is convenient for Manhattan and I would say it is o.k. as safety goes. But for very safe you need to go west to a suburban town and it will not be as convenient. A town like Ft Lee is safer and still very convenient to the 179th street station where you can catch a train downtown.

Old 05-13-2007, 10:42 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,367,797 times
Very safe and close to Midtown?

Bayonne, Rutherford, North Arlington, Lyndhurst, Nutley. All of these places come to mind.

I would especially reccomend that you look into Bayonne and Rutherford. Both can get you in around Penn Station in about 35 minutes.

Old 05-14-2007, 08:25 PM

209 posts, read 1,683,676 times
As others have said, if you're looking for "very safe" you probably have to get a bit more suburban, with the potential exception of Bayonne.

Edgewater or Weehawken might also be a good option as there are buses that go to the Port Authority bus station pretty quickly. But for 1100 a months those two towns might be a bit hard--I'd look at Bayonne, maybe a smallish studio in Hoboken, or maybe something small in the downtown area of Jersey City.

If you're willing to look at some of the more suburban towns others have mentioned you might have better luck as well.

Old 05-20-2007, 10:15 AM

3 posts, read 22,777 times
If you are looking for a very safe neighborhood then JC Heights is definitely not for you. Towns which are very close to train service into midtown and also very safe include Chatham, Madison, and Summit. I lived in Madison and it is a great small town but it is a family town. Cranford is a lot like Madison. If you want a town with a little more to do you can look in Montclair or Millburn. I have heard that Bayonne in Hudson County is safe too but there is not much to do there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey