Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 05:11 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,148,594 times

Advertisements

Are there any places and things that don't exist anymore in NJ that you really miss? I'm talking about something that was primarily a NJ institution (or at had least a strong NJ presence). I've started a blog and some of the things I (or my friends, or their parents) remember are:

1. Brookdale soda
2. Two Guys (store)
3. Gruning's
4. Rowe-Manse Emporium
5. Palisades Amusement Park
6. Bertrand Island Amusement Park
7. Upsala College
8. Stern's, A&S, Bamberger's, Hahnes, Fortunoffs

I would really appreciate if any of you could tell me about some forgotten New Jersey memories that you miss!

Moderator cut: Removed link to blog

If you want to go to my blog and comment on the posts I'd be delighted. I only ask that you are polite. I don't want any political rants (either Republican or Democrat), and nothing in bad taste. This blog is primarily meant to be a positive look at New Jersey memories, both past and present, although nostalgia can sometimes be painful. Thanks!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.. Reason: Link to blog not permitted in the forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 05:32 PM

195 posts, read 491,598 times
Moderator cut: Please don't speculate regarding potential moderator action. My blog is listed in my profile, in case you're interested.

But to answer your question:

1. ITT Tower in Nutley
2. 'The Bowl' in Clifton, which was a makeshift series of BMX jumps and trails located in the (then) woods right off Rt 21/3 on Nutley/Clifton border down River Rd. (it's now covered with condos)
3. Bonds Ice Cream Shoppe, was in Styretowne shopping center in the rear
4. Astrobowl, also used to be in Styretowne

I'm sure I'll think of more, and I'll post them up later.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:36 PM.. Reason: Please don't speculate regarding potential moderator action, thanks.

Old 11-14-2009, 05:43 PM

Oh, a recent casualty, Calico Kitchen on Rt. 46 West in Totowa. There's now a freakin' sushi bar where it stood.

Calico, was hands down, *the* best breakfast joint I've ever been too. Their blueberry pancakes were to die for. And this may sound weird, but their eggs were amazing. Most places you go, diners, IHOP, etc., their eggs, when done over easy, are kinda greasy and pale, and the yolks are watery. The eggs at Calico, which they claimed were farm fresh (from Wayne, I believe) were always firm with a deep yellow yolk, and just incredibly tasty.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:59 PM

5,073 posts, read 4,734,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Oh, a recent casualty, Calico Kitchen on Rt. 46 West in Totowa. There's now a freakin' sushi bar where it stood.

Calico, was hands down, *the* best breakfast joint I've ever been too. Their blueberry pancakes were to die for. And this may sound weird, but their eggs were amazing. Most places you go, diners, IHOP, etc., their eggs, when done over easy, are kinda greasy and pale, and the yolks are watery. The eggs at Calico, which they claimed were farm fresh (from Wayne, I believe) were always firm with a deep yellow yolk, and just incredibly tasty.

Oh no! I like sushi, but... not Calico Kitchen! I don't remember such details about the consistency of the eggs there, but I can attest to the amazing blueberry pancakes. Man. I loved that place for breakfast.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollygolightly View Post
Oh no! I like sushi, but... not Calico Kitchen! I don't remember such details about the consistency of the eggs there, but I can attest to the amazing blueberry pancakes. Man. I loved that place for breakfast.
Their blueberry pancakes made my life complete. I have never, since their closing, been able to find another blueberry pancake that comes anywhere near it. Everytime I drive past that damned sushi bar, I shake my fist in protest.

Interesting tidbit: Calico Kitchen was on People's Court a few years back for a case of food poisoning. The case was after they had closed up, but it was a claim from a couple of years before. They won the case

Old 11-14-2009, 07:13 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Razz Ma Tazz in Perth Amboy. Used to be part of Multi-plex movie cinema on RT.9. I must have dumped tons of quarters in those games!

Also Long Branch - the water slide and haunted house. Fun stuff.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:17 PM

256 posts, read 841,615 times
Old Barn milk bar in Wayne.

Huge ice cream cones. Loved the Black Raspberry and peanut butter ice cream. Miss that place a lot.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
Luna Park
Asbury Park boardwalk with the boats
The 2 drive-ins at 1-9 and the parkway just before the bridge
Route 3 drive-in (Secaucus?)
Drive-in in Newark
The OLD steel pier (AC)
Luongo's Pizza, Long Branch
The Parrot, Highlands
Nanke's, Kearny (Belleville Pike & Kearny Ave)
Merry-go-round, Highlands

(hmmm, see a trend?)

Old 11-14-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post

I had no idea that Calico Kitchen was gone! I know that I went there for lunch and/or dinner a few times. But I never went for breakfast. Now it seems that I really missed something.

I hate sushi, anyway.

Where were Bonds and AstroBowl? Styretown? Was that behind Rowe-Manse Emporium??? Or was that before that store was there? I grew up in Morris County, so I don't know about all those stores. Was AstroBowl a bowling alley???

BTW, Citizen Chin, I didn't know that I could be banned from posting a link to a blog, since I certainly don't make any money off of it. As a matter of fact, I've spent a lot of money to take photos and have them printed (I don't have a digital camera, but I'll have to get one). I promise to read your blog.

Anyway, keep those memories coming!

Old 11-14-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingo99 View Post
Old Barn milk bar in Wayne.

Huge ice cream cones. Loved the Black Raspberry and peanut butter ice cream. Miss that place a lot.
Sounds delicious. Here is a link that I found about when they closed:

Jerseyana; Closing the Barn Door (http://www.nytimes.com/2002/02/10/nyregion/jerseyana-closing-the-barn-door.html - broken link)

It sounds like they were/are planning to come back!

We're On Our Way Back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey