U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 09:02 PM

2,771 posts, read 5,968,950 times

Advertisements

We had our inspection today. The oil tank scan was uneventful. The place (which looked very nice) had some minor issues, but only one big one -- termites.

The inspector found evidence of termite activity in the attic. He came out of that attic looking worried. That's not exactly what I wanted to see -- an inspector looking like he'd seen a ghost. He basically said they will need to tear away some walls to determine the extent of the damage.

Has anyone been through anything like this with termites ? Plenty of oil tank war stories on this board, but I haven't heard nearly as much hear about termites (yet people in the RE industry and home buyers tell me they are ubiquitous in NJ ... )
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 09:33 PM

1,340 posts, read 3,543,774 times
I would RUN AWAY. Unless you tear all the walls off you will never know the true damage.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:12 PM

5 posts, read 26,127 times
Default Termites, termites in the wall

Being that you are in New Jersey and have found termites in your attic I think you may have cause to worry, sorry about that You probably have one of two common species of termites, subterranean or dampwood termites. Subs live underground sending out works to bring food (your house) back to their colony. What was found in your attic could possibly be evidence of workers or possibly alates which are termites that are attracted to bright lights after the first rains. Alates are the ones that go off to start new colonies. Subs are usually taken care of by means of a chemical treatment of termiticide. The damage that the workers do can be extensive depending on how long they have been working to feed the colony.

Now the other bad one to be concerned with is the dampwood termite. They are the biggest of the species and live in wood that has been exposed to a lot of water for instance because of a roof leak. The biggest issue here is to find the damage and fix, there is no need for a chemical treatment with dampwoods. I hope this answers your questions.

Old 11-14-2009, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_norcal View Post
Being that you are in New Jersey and have found termites in your attic I think you may have cause to worry, sorry about that
One thing to keep in mind -- it's not my attic yet. Should I just run ?

I can either run away or insist on having a contractor tear away some walls. It seems unlikely that they'd agree to this, but they don't have much in the other way of options if they want to sell this place.

Old 11-15-2009, 04:55 AM

9,124 posts, read 34,738,650 times
If they're in the attic, that means they've eaten their way up there by destroying the structure below. If they're not willing to gut all of the exterior walls to let you determine the extent of the damage, I'd either run the other way or get a HUGE discount on the price to cover your risk.

Old 11-15-2009, 06:43 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,184,908 times
Run..Better yet jump in a car and never return.

Old 11-15-2009, 07:38 AM

604 posts, read 1,902,856 times
Like Bobkovacs wrote if they are in the attic they have been doing their deed for an extensive period having, probably, destroyed structure below in the process. Did the inspector see, show you, any damage to the wood elememnts ... too bad you had to experience that while buying your first house ... but its better now before it becomes your attc... The prudent decision would be to walk away!

Old 11-15-2009, 07:57 AM

8,569 posts, read 16,986,766 times
Get details from the termite inspector - are they drywood (which enter through attic vents)? what is the extent of the damage, the remedy and cost? And what/how much is the seller prepared to compensate? What are you willing to do for this house?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Get details from the termite inspector - are they drywood (which enter through attic vents)? what is the extent of the damage, the remedy and cost? And what/how much is the seller prepared to compensate? What are you willing to do for this house?
Termite inspector didn't check the attic so we don't know what type was there. (edit: home inspector said this is the third time he's seen this ... out of the 6000 or so inspections he's done.)

We need to have drywall removed to begin to begin to determine the extent of the damage (the home inspector says wood framing around damaged areas, and 12" around the perimeter of the basement and garage ceilings)

Last edited by elflord1973; 11-15-2009 at 08:52 AM..

Old 11-15-2009, 06:57 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,831,765 times
The ball is in your court. You can take a HUGE discount on this property. The owners should contact their insurance company for the difference. Without determining the full extent of the damage and cost, you cannot really calculate the credit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>