Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 09:47 AM

44 posts, read 59,626 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I had posted earlier (Jun '09) in the NY forum, and I got some really good responses. Thanks to all who replied !
Due to some issues, the decision about my job was delayed and only last week did I get a confirmation on it. Unfortunately my budget is lower now. So the details are:

- My offices are in Manhattan (52nd and Park Ave, near GCT) and Armonk and I can join either. I am willing to join Manhattan and do the NJ -> NYC commute. 1 hour door-to-door would be awesome, but up to 1 hour commute + additional walk/drive at either end is fine too.

- I am looking for a city with an affordable rental apartment complex. Anything less than or around $1000 per month would be great. A 1 BR + 1 Bath or even a studio would do for me.

- I am a single male in my 30s.

- I would like to rent in a place where there are other singles and the scene is lively (restaurants, malls, bars, bookstores, library, coffee shops, grocery stores etc.) with opportunities to meet people of the opposite sex. I would want to avoid "college-towns" though.

- Does parking cost extra ? I'd like to keep my car.

I checked some places in the NJ Transit website and I think cities along the route to Penn Station should work. Edison is about an hour away, and the others on the way are Metuchen, Iselin, Colonia, Rahway.

Do any of these cities fit my requirements ? I appreciate any ideas/suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks you all,
budweiser
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 10:20 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,050 times
Parsippany/Morristown would fit your needs if you want to go West. You can look in Montclair for entertainment but you'd probably have to rent in Totowa/West Paterson to fit within your budget. I'm not sure either of these has train service but the bus should be about an hour from Parsippany and about 45 minutes from Montclair.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:26 AM

195 posts, read 491,896 times
Clifton

Old 11-16-2009, 04:58 PM

2,734 posts, read 4,150,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
Hi,

I had posted earlier (Jun '09) in the NY forum, and I got some really good responses. Thanks to all who replied !
Due to some issues, the decision about my job was delayed and only last week did I get a confirmation on it. Unfortunately my budget is lower now. So the details are:

- My offices are in Manhattan (52nd and Park Ave, near GCT) and Armonk and I can join either. I am willing to join Manhattan and do the NJ -> NYC commute. 1 hour door-to-door would be awesome, but up to 1 hour commute + additional walk/drive at either end is fine too.

- I am looking for a city with an affordable rental apartment complex. Anything less than or around $1000 per month would be great. A 1 BR + 1 Bath or even a studio would do for me.

- I would like to rent in a place where there are other singles and the scene is lively (restaurants, malls, bars, bookstores, library, coffee shops, grocery stores etc.) with opportunities to meet people of the opposite sex. I would want to avoid "college-towns" though.

I checked some places in the NJ Transit website and I think cities along the route to Penn Station should work. Edison is about an hour away, and the others on the way are Metuchen, Iselin, Colonia, Rahway.

Do any of these cities fit my requirements ? I appreciate any ideas/suggestions or recommendations.

Thanks you all,
budweiser
That rent is very low and hard to find in a nice town! Someone posted Montclair, but the rent . . . you might find it in Bloomfield and go to Montclair in the evenings and on weekends.

Remember, any places in nice upscale towns with low rent are usually in undesirable neighborhoods, or the apts. have rodent or roach problems.

Old 11-16-2009, 05:27 PM

196 posts, read 648,992 times
I would recommend Bloomfield. I have lived there my whole life and it is close to everything. Since you have a car you will love it.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:55 PM

4 posts, read 8,079 times
You should check out Craigs List/Apt.Rentals/and find the northern NJ forum. Go in there and some people include pics of the places, so mabye you can get a sense of what you'll get for your budget!
I grew up in Edison and it has changed a lot lately so I, personally, wouldnt reccomend it. Metuchen is a quiet little town in the center of Edison. Dont know how many rentals you'd actually find there, since it is a lot of older homes. Dont know much about Colonia hese days, but back in the day, it was a good town. I believe theres a train into Princeton, thats a nice town but $$$.

Good luck!!

Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budweiser View Post
Hi,

Thanks you all,
budweiser
how about
studio apartment in rahway for 800.00
nice clean apartment building

Old 11-18-2009, 09:11 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,898,592 times
I know of a building in South Orange (yes it's a college town but not really). On Voss Avenue - don't know the address but I think it may be the only Apt. building on that street. They had efficiences for under $1000. I had a friend who lived there. I don't know if they have anything available but there might be other buildings in South Orange also.

Close enough so you could walk to the train.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:30 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,630,573 times
Rahway is the smelliest city in NJ and its run down, besides I doubt there is any good transportation for a timely commute to Park ave. I think the Edison area is to far and many public rentals there are bad quality for the price u have to pay. Bloomfield will work but they don't exactly have malls or Borders or anything like that, though they have a nice library and this is a semi-urban city. U might want to consider some town across the Hudson for a better singles/commute/shopping scene.

Old 11-19-2009, 05:20 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,460,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanu86 View Post
Rahway is the smelliest city in NJ and its run down, besides I doubt there is any good transportation for a timely commute to Park ave. I think the Edison area is to far and many public rentals there are bad quality for the price u have to pay. Bloomfield will work but they don't exactly have malls or Borders or anything like that, though they have a nice library and this is a semi-urban city. U might want to consider some town across the Hudson for a better singles/commute/shopping scene.
Rahway smells, your post don't even deserve a response
If i did respond i would be banned for a month

IF YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING PLEASE DON'T POST ANYTHING
Where across the hudson would you recommend they look ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey