Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 02:39 PM

10 posts, read 20,948 times

Advertisements

i have been living in carteret for the last couple years (from florida). i really want out of this area and would like to live somewhere nicer and cleaner. i cant stand living in a industrial area filled with oil tanks. the problem is, i have a nice apartment (except for the management company), 2 bedrooms, less than 10 years old, for 1400 a month. it seems like this is hard to get in a nicer area. i am looking for something that is newer or at least has been upgraded to look like it. i want to avoid the carteret, linden, rahway, newark etc areas. i work in warren, nj and my roommate works in linden, nj. so something where we could each get to work in about an hour or less. also, within a hour to nyc. any suggestions on specific apartment complexes? (would like to avoid middlesex managment if possible) i am having a hard time finding anything online searching by cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2009, 03:06 PM

195 posts, read 491,727 times
Check out New Providence. I can't remember the name of the specific apartment complex I have in mind, I'll post it later if I can recall it.

Old 11-16-2009, 03:07 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,104,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraN80 View Post
for 1400 a month. it seems like this is hard to get in a nicer area.

i want to avoid the carteret, linden, rahway, newark etc areas.

i work in warren, nj and my roommate works in linden, nj. so something where we could each get to work in about an hour or less.

also, within a hour to nyc. any suggestions on specific apartment complexes?
Avoiding those cities is doable
warren and linden - 1 hour each - doable
1400/mo - tough but not impossible

NOW you add in 1 hr to NYC - for what reason? the once a week club thingy? Is it really important? if so, forget the $1400 and the hour or less to work for both of you.

Try Craigs list or realtors - Newark Star Ledger, local papers
Check out maps and find all the towns that will give you 1 hr to work. It's really not difficult.

Old 11-16-2009, 10:30 PM

177 posts, read 700,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaraN80 View Post
i have been living in carteret for the last couple years (from florida). i really want out of this area and would like to live somewhere nicer and cleaner. i cant stand living in a industrial area filled with oil tanks. the problem is, i have a nice apartment (except for the management company), 2 bedrooms, less than 10 years old, for 1400 a month. it seems like this is hard to get in a nicer area. i am looking for something that is newer or at least has been upgraded to look like it. i want to avoid the carteret, linden, rahway, newark etc areas. i work in warren, nj and my roommate works in linden, nj. so something where we could each get to work in about an hour or less. also, within a hour to nyc. any suggestions on specific apartment complexes? (would like to avoid middlesex managment if possible) i am having a hard time finding anything online searching by cities.

I've been looking for the same type living accommodations as well. It seems Middlesex Management has the ONLY modern apartment complexes built from the ground up in all of north Jersey, and the prices are pretty steep on those, although not totally impossible. I find it pathetic in the fact that it is almost impossible to find anything similar to that, or at least a decent quantity of apartments that are somewhat modern. And gutting out disgusting 60 year old 3-family houses and calling them "apartments" is not the norm anywhere but in this area of the country.

Any other rental properties out there? Semi-affordable?

Old 11-17-2009, 02:09 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,628,640 times
There are many private rentals in south amboy, nj which meet the criteria listed, but u'd have to drive around by car to see them.

Old 11-17-2009, 03:20 PM

10 posts, read 20,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Avoiding those cities is doable
warren and linden - 1 hour each - doable
1400/mo - tough but not impossible

NOW you add in 1 hr to NYC - for what reason? the once a week club thingy? Is it really important? if so, forget the $1400 and the hour or less to work for both of you.

Try Craigs list or realtors - Newark Star Ledger, local papers
Check out maps and find all the towns that will give you 1 hr to work. It's really not difficult.

thanks...the 1 hour to nyc is just a preference and not a necessity. i go into the city almost every weekend. (not for clubbing) right now from carteret, i get drive into the city in 30 minutes, or take a train or bus in about 45 minutes.

Old 11-17-2009, 06:48 PM

16 posts, read 42,202 times
How about a nice 2 bedroom in a private 4 unit building in Bernardsville, easy walking distance to the NYC train and town, with slightly higher rent? I'm trying to help my landlord possibly find a replacement tenant for 1/1/10 so I can move earlier than January into my new home, when my current lease ends. I left you a PM with more detail.

Old 11-20-2009, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 13,251 times
That's a tough call. Once you find a good town you like, you might want to try looking in a condo complex. There are a lot of owners renting out their places because they moved and can't sell their place. You'll have good amenities like an apartment building, but may gamble with an unresponsive and inexperienced landlord. There are some great deals out there right now.

Try the NJ Apartment MLS, they list rentals from both large and small owners.

New Jersey Apartments for rent, NJ Apartment MLS, NJ Rentals

Last edited by justpassingby; 11-20-2009 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: Link (trying to get it to work)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey