Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2009, 10:54 AM

364 posts, read 824,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeCPA View Post
All I will say is , if you are a parent living in the tri-state area of NJ,NY,CT and are Not Aware of the fact that these Asian and Jewish students are best & the brighest academically - you either go to a school or district that has no or very little jews/asians or you must be out of touch with reality.

and please, these students are not born intelligent. they don't have special magic.

what these asian/jewish students who have dominated the US school system for the last 3 decades have is HARD WORK, HARD WORK, HARD WORK and a 100% COMMITMENT from their PARENTS !

Its a CULTURAL mindset. They value education above anything else. How do I know? I taught Accountng for 8 years.

Do you ever go to a New Jersey public library in a town that has even 5% to 10% asian population?
If you have, can you tell me WHAT RACE has the most number of children in the library Every day? On weekends? How do you explain that ? They are 5% of the town, but their children are 70% of the library every day. Then you wonder why these children kick butt.

ALways remember this. In the last 15 years, just short of 70% of All New, Young US Scientist that are produced by MIT,( the number 1 Science university in america ) are asians/jews. Folks, thats the future of the united states of america right there. Do you want us to keep our edge over say China? Over India? Over Europe?

Many professors & high school principals will admit today that Asian kids have actually surpassed Jewish kids in many cases. Not because they are smarter. But because many of them are 1st generation americans, there is a greater hunger for success. Its all about hardwork.
Just 110% to the point. American need to see some hard way of life in order to wake up. Netflix, pizza, basketball, week-end party are good but not 100% of life. Wake up guys or you will be run down!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 01:10 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,945,882 times
Quote:
First of all, did I ever say that wealthy white kids don't do well ? Can you please show me where I said that !

Secondly, I am of Italian-Irish descent. A catholic. I am not proclaiming the success of these Jewish & Asian kids because of being one of them.
I am simply STATING a FACT. This is NOT my OPINION. It is a FACT. I was a Science teacher many years ago in both a Private & Public school in NJ. I am an ex-educator before I decided to Build Wealth for my family & leave the academic world.

It is a FACT not only in NJ, but across the nation that Jewish & Asian kids stand out academically than all other groups in America. Every single year since 1990, anywhere from 45% to as high as 53% of ALL IVY league students , Harvard, Yale, MIT,Brown,Columbia, Dartmouth, Cornell, University of Penn, Princeton and even Stanford University in the West - ARE of Jewish or Asian background.
I am not trying to put down any group's accomplishments. I was just making a point that we have to consider the wealth in those communities as a factor also.

BTW, you should read up on your own culture's accomplishments too.

From David Brooks of the NY Times

Quote:
Preliminary evidence indicates that whites who were raised in Catholic families are no longer asset-poor and may even be among the wealthiest groups of adults in the United States today.

How have they done it?

Well, they started from their traditional Catholic cultural base. That meant, in the 1950s and early ’60s, a strong emphasis on neighborhood cohesion and family, and a strong preference for obedience and solidarity over autonomy and rebellion.

Then over the decades, the authority of the church weakened and young Catholics assimilated. Catholic values began to converge with Protestant values. Catholic adults were more likely to use contraceptives and fertility rates plummeted. They raised their children to value autonomy more and obedience less.

The process created a crisis for the church, as it struggled to maintain authority over its American flock. But the shift was an economic boon to Catholics themselves. They found themselves in a quasi-religious sweet spot.

On the one hand, modern Catholics have retained many of the traditional patterns of their ancestors — high marriage rates, high family stability rates, low divorce rates. Catholic investors save a lot and favor low-risk investment portfolios. On the other hand, they have also become more individualistic, more future-oriented and less bound by neighborhood and extended family. They are now much better educated than their parents or grandparents, and much better educated than their family histories would lead you to predict.

More or less successfully, the children of white, ethnic, blue-collar neighborhoods have managed to adapt the Catholic communal heritage to the dynamism of a global economy. If this country was entirely Catholic, we wouldn’t be having a big debate over stagnant wages and low social mobility. The problems would scarcely exist. Populists and various politicians can talk about the prosperity-destroying menace of immigration and foreign trade. But modern Catholics have created a hybrid culture that trumps it.

In fact, if you really wanted to supercharge the nation, you’d fill it with college students who constantly attend church, but who are skeptical of everything they hear there. For there are at least two things we know about flourishing in a modern society.
http://select.nytimes.com/2007/05/25...s.html?_r=1&hp

Old 11-18-2009, 01:48 PM

66 posts, read 194,182 times
Bergen County has some great private and Public schools.

Private:
Don Bosco
IHA
Paramus Catholic

Public:
Ridgewood HS
Glen Rock HS
Wayne Valley HS

Julia A Traphagen -Elementary (Blue Ribbon School)

Just to name a few.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:18 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,915,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
Hey, We came up from the south to some of the "best" public schools. I have to tell you I am not seeing it. Not even close. The focus is on teaching the kids to do rather than know. For example the kids in first grade and kindergarden know how to read, However, they do not learn the mechanics. IE PHONICS. Just because you can do something fast does not mean you are smarter than everyone either. But that is what everyone is taught in NJ schools. I am very disappointed and cannot wait to get out of this area. I love the area and the neighbors and the people. The school board and the curriculum that they shove down the teachers throats here SUCKS. The amount of tax money that goes to the schools is excessive for what we are getting. The Federal schools are failing still. And people want the gov't to run healthcare. God bless America we are in for a bumpy ride.
You must have moved to a crappy school district. Next time research better before you move.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:30 PM

13,978 posts, read 25,871,964 times
The NJ schools switched from phonetics to "sight words" many years ago. My college freshman was in 2nd grade when I realized they no longer taught phonetics. That, along with "inventive spelling" has given us a generation of kids that have sub-par reading and writing skills.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
The NJ schools switched from phonetics to "sight words" many years ago. My college freshman was in 2nd grade when I realized they no longer taught phonetics. That, along with "inventive spelling" has given us a generation of kids that have sub-par reading and writing skills.
Oh don't even get me started on inventive spelling. That is educational malpractice letting children write like that.

They say they teach "balanced literacy" but they don't, it's whole-language/sight words.

Old 11-18-2009, 02:51 PM

72 posts, read 107,617 times
I have to admit, it is not everyday that youfind a southerner relocate to the Northeast Region & complain about its public schools being bad compared to the South. The only exceptions are the inner city urban districts.

Its like a conservative jersey republican moving to the South & complaining that he can't find any conservatives in the south. LoL

Otherwise, the Northeast region has the concentration of wealthier, more educated, higher income, and very good public schools. The only other region that comes close is probably California & the Pacific West region.

I'm sure everyone here has heard of a Jerseyan or New Yorker who moved to Florida, North Carolina or Arizona & was very disappointed on the quality of public schools in those states
combared to the northeast.

Old 11-18-2009, 03:05 PM

127 posts, read 310,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Marley View Post
Hey, We came up from the south to some of the "best" public schools. I have to tell you I am not seeing it. Not even close. The focus is on teaching the kids to do rather than know. For example the kids in first grade and kindergarden know how to read, However, they do not learn the mechanics. IE PHONICS. Just because you can do something fast does not mean you are smarter than everyone either. But that is what everyone is taught in NJ schools. I am very disappointed and cannot wait to get out of this area. I love the area and the neighbors and the people. The school board and the curriculum that they shove down the teachers throats here SUCKS. The amount of tax money that goes to the schools is excessive for what we are getting. The Federal schools are failing still. And people want the gov't to run healthcare. God bless America we are in for a bumpy ride.
You probably live in a ghetto, that's why your school sucks. You sound ghetto being from the south and all.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:15 PM

1,246 posts, read 4,642,779 times
My daughters were in end of K and 3rd grade before we moved to Tampa. I felt the Tampa school, which is a Blue Ribbon, A rated school, was 1 1/2 years behind NJ. Plus, they did not have programs that the NJ schools had, such as a foreign language, real art and music classes. After 30 minute lunch, NJ would allow kids another 30 minutes recess. Florida did not. NJ also had a once a week dance/yoga class. There was a full time special education person and speech pathologist. Nothing down here. Both my kids were already reading when entering Kindergarten.

I know people who grew up learning phonics and regret it now as adults. I would not want to teach my kids phonics.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annaegel View Post
I know people who grew up learning phonics and regret it now as adults. I would not want to teach my kids phonics.
????

This makes no sense.

If you don't know how to read phonetically, you are not truly able to read. How will you read new words? Scientific and medical terms?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey