Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2009, 12:06 PM

593 posts, read 1,660,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
Moderator cut: Not Necessary

Think before you post my friend. Talk to one of the parents that lost a child within a mile of their own homes. Do more than whine, bash, troll, google the words "Megan's Law" then send your own daughter off to school alone...You are a very foolish person.
What happened to Megan Kenka could have happened anywhere. I agree with what Chin said. There's some paranoid parents, people in general out here talking like somebody's out to get them when Jersey is one of the safest states in the country. Even in Newark, most people are scared to go to that city and Newark's crime has gone down significantly. It's really ridiculous.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:22 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
I'm sorry, but I also think the amount of coddling today's kids receive is ridiculous. They are way too protected, which is probably the reason why now they are staying at home until they are 37 years old instead of getting their own life.

Think about it, there is a law now that says that parents can keep their kids on their health insurance until they are 31 years old. I'm I the only one that thinks that this is insane?
Exactly, funny thing is that as paranoid as these parents are getting. Kids are more likely to die by car accidents then be abducted by some random stranger. And if they happened to be the unfortunate victim of an abduction, chances are it's committed by somebody they know.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:11 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
why did this thread become a place to complain about overprotective parents?

people didnt leave nyc because of the high murder rate. they left because it is a sewer. they still leave because its a sewer.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:13 PM

195 posts, read 491,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
Exactly, funny thing is that as paranoid as these parents are getting. Kids are more likely to die by car accidents then be abducted by some random stranger. And if they happened to be the unfortunate victim of an abduction, chances are it's committed by somebody they know.
Even worse, in my opinion, is the near total lack of oversight or restrictions or supervision when it comes to kids' use of the internet. That's where the real threat is nowadays, in kids having the power to view whatever they want, whenever they want, with the click of a button with no restrictions and no adults around to monitor what they're getting into. Not to mention that the threat of online predators is much more prevalent than scary old guys driving around in old vans trying to abduct kids.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
why did this thread become a place to complain about overprotective parents?

people didnt leave nyc because of the high murder rate. they left because it is a sewer. they still leave because its a sewer.
Well, that's NOT true. Moderator cut: Language.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:23 PM.. Reason: Removed **** from language filter

Old 11-19-2009, 12:22 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,693,520 times
Quote:
Well, that's NOT true. Moderator cut: Language
its a horrible dirty disgusting place. i can only assume what you said because it looks like asterisks to me but if you are talking about colon cannonballs then i agree, thats what nyc is. a big pile of keester cakes.

btw, you have probably been asked this before but i dont recall, why dont you move to new york? you seem to love it and the people so much and you seem so miserable where you are. its not like moving far away, you could make it happen.

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-19-2009, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Even worse, in my opinion, is the near total lack of oversight or restrictions or supervision when it comes to kids' use of the internet. That's where the real threat is nowadays, in kids having the power to view whatever they want, whenever they want, with the click of a button with no restrictions and no adults around to monitor what they're getting into. Not to mention that the threat of online predators is much more prevalent than scary old guys driving around in old vans trying to abduct kids.

Exactly and you know something funny. It's not just the internet. It's with everything. These kids are used to doing what people around my age were getting used to 3 years ago in 8th grade and their freshman year of high school. They got their own myspaces, their own cell phones, they get to go to these parties and their parents are okay with that. In fact, their parents encourage them to go and do that. Most of us people that were in our 20s now, we did whatever we wanted to do but most of us did it behind our parents backs trying to be sneaky because we knew we were going to get in trouble if we got caught. Now these 90 babies is doing whatever they want to do in front of their parents and the parents are okay with it.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:41 PM

195 posts, read 491,827 times
Quote:
Exactly and you know something funny. It's not just the internet. It's with everything. These kids are used to doing what people around my age were getting used to 3 years ago in 8th grade and their freshman year of high school. They got their own myspaces, their own cell phones, they get to go to these parties and their parents are okay with that. In fact, their parents encourage them to go and do that. Most of us people that were in our 20s now, we did whatever we wanted to do but most of us did it behind our parents backs trying to be sneaky because we knew we were going to get in trouble if we got caught. Now these 90 babies is doing whatever they want to do in front of their parents and the parents are okay with it.
These are the parents that seem to place more value on being their kids 'best friend', or being the 'cool parent' instead of instilling discipline.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,537,438 times
Quote:
Well, that's NOT true. Moderator cut: Language.
i can't argue that!

Last edited by bmwguydc; 11-29-2009 at 08:24 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted text

Old 11-19-2009, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
its a horrible dirty disgusting place. i can only assume what you said because it looks like asterisks to me but if you are talking about colon cannonballs then i agree, thats what nyc is. a big pile of keester cakes.

btw, you have probably been asked this before but i dont recall, why dont you move to new york? you seem to love it and the people so much and you seem so miserable where you are. its not like moving far away, you could make it happen.
LMAO. Yeah, I plan on moving back to New York. I'm going upstate though. I've been around the Tri State area all my life. Time for something new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey