Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2009, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 9,778 times

Advertisements

I will be attending UMDNJ next year --- lots of people already told me NOT TO LIVE IN NEWARK.
Can you help me to figure out where should I live? From which cities can I commute easily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2009, 11:46 PM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
Make the decision whether or not to live in Newark first, rather than blowing it off. My good buddy goes to NJIT, and he rents a room in Society Hill, a town home community that's right by NJIT and UMDNJ. I visit him there fairly frequently, and I've never had any problems with safety. The University Heights area is not that bad, compared to other sections of Newark.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:31 AM

1,604 posts, read 3,883,925 times
Ya, i'd say Society Hill is the place to go. I WISH i could live there, but I'm stuck in the dorms due to money and the fact that all I really need is a place with a bed being that I'm an Arhcie.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:38 AM

37 posts, read 68,225 times
Live in Society Hill. People are so lame. Newark has some good and bad places! Dnt be fooled!

Old 11-19-2009, 08:01 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,952,723 times
Bloomfield has apartments that a lot of UMDNJ students live in. You'll need a car though, but you'll probably want a car anyway.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:51 AM

576 posts, read 1,596,369 times
Anyone have more info on Society Hill in Newark? Is it rentals or condos? Also if it is rentals what the going rate for a studio or 1 bedroom, Thanks in advance.

Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,805 times
craigs list has a lot of rentals in Society Hill newark, I'm indian and I live there and love it

classifieds - craigslist

Old 11-19-2009, 10:10 AM

345 posts, read 642,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cf77 View Post
Anyone have more info on Society Hill in Newark? Is it rentals or condos? Also if it is rentals what the going rate for a studio or 1 bedroom, Thanks in advance.
The room my friend rents is...somewhere between $600 - $700. He has a bathroom attached to his room (yay), and he shares the house with two other guys, also both NJIT students.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 9,778 times
Default thank you

hi people...thank you so much for the advice!
society hill, Univ heights, bloomfield....i will def check them out
i should re-think about living in Newark.....it's close to UMDNJ and save tons of time! thank you everyone!

Old 11-20-2009, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 13,250 times
Default University Heights is the way to go

I went to Rutgers for my Masters degree and had a whole bunch of friends who graduated from college who ended up at UMDNJ. All of us lived in Newark Society Hill.

It was quiet, close to campus, and super convenient to just about everything. I loved rolling out of bed and getting to class. And coming home late from the library and just walking back home instead of driving for hours in the parking deck.

There aren't many 1 beds. And definitely NO studios. You'll probably need to find a roommate, but a good property manager in the area might be able to help you do that.

Oh yea, the pool is pretty awesome in the summertime too. When looking around, be sure to choose the unit wisely. There are some owners there that aren't the best landlords (you definitely get you pay for over there). I would suggest a professionally managed property that specializes in working with students.

I know there is a management company that lists most of its places on GardenStateApartments-- Best Newark Apartments. Definitely be wary of ANYTHING on craigslist!

Congrats on UMDNJ! Represent Brick City baby!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey