Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2009, 10:46 PM
EB2

1,925 posts, read 6,345,970 times

Advertisements

Coming from someone that's lived in FL for 11 years, come January...

oh, big freakin' yay.

Want our 11.2 state unemployment, too? OR, even better, the unemployment rate of my county? 11.7. Come back when the economy picks up. Like most places, I can almost bet those numbers are going to be off by and changed quite a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2009, 10:47 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
The humidity in FL sucks. Bad hair days 365 1/4 days a year.
Agreed. Having curly hair is a nightmare here, most days. I know you know the pain.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:22 AM

835 posts, read 1,176,941 times
Florida may not seem an ideal spot to land after the recession, given that the state's housing market had such an extreme bust. But the unemployment rate in the capital is still 3 percentage points below the state average. Tallahassee has seen job growth in education and health services, leisure and hospitality, and the government sector.

Old 11-21-2009, 11:48 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,911,715 times
FWIW, if you have some extra cash around and can get in on a few of these great deals down there, this is the time to do it. When the economy recovers, you can either think about living there full time or just having a getaway place. The cost is very minimal, and the economy WILL recover in Florida, just as it will everywhere else. I would say that given its tax structure, population (including many skilled/educated transplants from the northeast) and cheap real estate, Florida will be a prime place where businesses will expand to when things get back on track economically.

But obviously, you have to pick your area. Before the economy went off the rails, the Tampa area was growing by leaps and bounds. I'd zero in on that part of the state, personally. As far as the weather, that's a personal preference for which you can't bash a state. I love hot weather, even humid weather. But that's me. There are some people who like living in Alaska. Just because I hate the cold doesn't mean that I think places like Maine and New England are horrible states.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:07 PM
EB2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
FWIW, if you have some extra cash around and can get in on a few of these great deals down there, this is the time to do it. When the economy recovers, you can either think about living there full time or just having a getaway place. The cost is very minimal, and the economy WILL recover in Florida, just as it will everywhere else. I would say that given its tax structure, population (including many skilled/educated transplants from the northeast) and cheap real estate, Florida will be a prime place where businesses will expand to when things get back on track economically.

But obviously, you have to pick your area. Before the economy went off the rails, the Tampa area was growing by leaps and bounds. I'd zero in on that part of the state, personally. As far as the weather, that's a personal preference for which you can't bash a state. I love hot weather, even humid weather. But that's me. There are some people who like living in Alaska. Just because I hate the cold doesn't mean that I think places like Maine and New England are horrible states.
You make awesome points and all...

but, FL economy isn't predicted to recover until 2019, according to my local NBC station. Do many people want to wait that long? I'll be lucky if my savings hold out until January, if I don't find a job (and I don't qualify for unemployment, and haven't received a dime of it, in the past). No, that doesn't mean I'll go without a job until then. But it does mean slimmer pickings, more competition, and for the majority, less than desirable jobs. More people are moving out (well, those that have the money to, atm), than coming in, according to recent polls.

I'm not knocking FL completely. I truly think it's a beautiful state, and when the weather is decent (75 and under), it's a grand place with a LOT to do (outdoor wise, at least [which I prefer]). Hopefully one day I don't have to call it my residence, but rather, vacation spot/destination.

BTW - I wouldn't recommend Tampa Bay to ANYONE in this economy, unless they have the means to stay afloat, or are GUARANTEED (not just "told" they'd get it) 100 % a job. One that pays enough to survive. I'm in St. Petersburg....also part of Tampa Bay. The area that has 11.7 percent unemployment.

Old 11-21-2009, 05:46 PM

4,285 posts, read 10,737,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
You make awesome points and all...

but, FL economy isn't predicted to recover until 2019, according to my local NBC station. Do many people want to wait that long? I'll be lucky if my savings hold out until January, if I don't find a job (and I don't qualify for unemployment, and haven't received a dime of it, in the past). No, that doesn't mean I'll go without a job until then. But it does mean slimmer pickings, more competition, and for the majority, less than desirable jobs. More people are moving out (well, those that have the money to, atm), than coming in, according to recent polls.

I'm not knocking FL completely. I truly think it's a beautiful state, and when the weather is decent (75 and under), it's a grand place with a LOT to do (outdoor wise, at least [which I prefer]). Hopefully one day I don't have to call it my residence, but rather, vacation spot/destination.

BTW - I wouldn't recommend Tampa Bay to ANYONE in this economy, unless they have the means to stay afloat, or are GUARANTEED (not just "told" they'd get it) 100 % a job. One that pays enough to survive. I'm in St. Petersburg....also part of Tampa Bay. The area that has 11.7 percent unemployment.
Is unemployment really that much worse down there then in NJ though? NJ has over 10% unemployment as well.

I am planning to move to the Tampa Area. going down with some savings, and obviously I am going to rent for a year while job searching.

The housing prices in the area have plummeted. Once established down there, I plan to buy a 3+ bedroom house with a pool. And it seems like you could buy one in a decent neighborhood for 130-160k.

Old 11-21-2009, 06:16 PM

195 posts, read 490,601 times
Why is Florida such a popular choice for New Jerseyans to relocate to? Do folks from most other states have a preference for Florida as well?

Old 11-21-2009, 09:13 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,023,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
Why is Florida such a popular choice for New Jerseyans to relocate to? Do folks from most other states have a preference for Florida as well?
According to the latest US Census-

http://www.census.gov/prod/2003pubs/censr-8.pdf

NY to Fla- 308,230
NJ to Fla- 118,905
Ga to Fla- 99,225
Ca to Fla- 94,265

More notable are the number of Floridians moving out of Florida.

Fl to Ga- 157,423
Fl to NC- 96,255

These numbers seem to support the "half back" theory.
Move to Florida, change of heart, head back north and settle half way.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:41 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,911,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
When I lived in Florida, there were a good number of people from Ohio there from what I recall. I lived in Florida for college. I liked it a lot and if a good opportunity ever comes up there I have no qualms about moving back. As an avid angler/boater, I like a place where I can enjoy the water year-round.

A lot of North Jersey people would like a place much like they're used to, and Florida is not that whatsoever. However, being from the Jersey Shore area, there wasn't nearly as much of an adjustment for me. Same culture, same overall attitude, vibe, whatever you want to call it. At least in the Tampa area. And before someone comments on schools, I got to know many native Floridians. None of them were stupid or behind me whatsoever. They were just as prepared for college as I was coming from a well-to-do rated HS in Monmouth County.

Old 11-21-2009, 10:26 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,480,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Number "1" according to whom and number "1" for WHAT?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey