Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 09:37 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
One thing the Princeton area is lacking, IMO, is nightlife. How nobody has opened a really fun bar or club in that area is crazy to me. Is there anything around except Kat in Trenton?
Aren't The Ivy Inn and The Tiger's Tail still around?? I was at one, or maybe both, many years ago. They were college dive bars right in Princeton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2009, 09:38 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Aren't The Ivy Inn and The Tiger's Tail still around?? I was at one, or maybe both, many years ago. They were college dive bars right in Princeton.
The Tigers Tale is around still. I think the Ivy Inn is too. There are bars in Princeton, that's true. There just aren't as many as you would think a college town would have.

Old 11-24-2009, 11:26 AM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
If the OP is still reading this, don't be scared off too much! It's very nice around there and definitely worth trying for a year. If you make a few friends from work or wherever, you'll be fine. It's not like there is nothing to do. And then if it's not for you, move to Philly. That drive isn't that bad, honestly. Worth it for the weekends.
Agree 100%. I would never dissuade someone from moving to that area of the state, as it's pretty nice. It's not the absolute most exciting but like you said, it isn't like there's NOTHING to do. It's just mostly chain places on Rt. 1 and a couple local dives. The new All-Starz bar in Bordentown is excellent, however.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:51 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,137,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeradoDan View Post
Agree 100%. I would never dissuade someone from moving to that area of the state, as it's pretty nice. It's not the absolute most exciting but like you said, it isn't like there's NOTHING to do. It's just mostly chain places on Rt. 1 and a couple local dives. The new All-Starz bar in Bordentown is excellent, however.
Bordentown is trying to shut them down. They don't like the "adult" entertainment.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:29 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,051,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Bordentown is trying to shut them down. They don't like the "adult" entertainment.
Bordentown is not too happy with this bar.
Alstarz sports bar target of complaints | Central Jersey News - - NJ.com

Old 11-24-2009, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Adult? It's not a strip club, it's a sports bar. I heard a few gangstas from Trenton started going there when it first opened, but they eliminated that. I've been there the past two weekends and it's a great place - good band playing, nice young crowd, no trouble to speak of. I'd say it's an asset to the community.

Old 11-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Ugh. Typical overreaching New Jersey planning board goons who have nothing better to do than harass business owners. Heaven forbid someone has a drink out on the patio. This place is off a highway, not anywhere near a residential neighborhood. And FWIW, the rest of Bordentown is an absolute dump along 130 and 206. Alstarz is the nicest joint in town!

Old 12-04-2009, 01:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,545 times
Thank you everyone for your help! I was looking around a little more and someone mentioned Yardley or Morrisville PA. Ive heard a lot of varying opinions about both. Anyone know anything about these areas? (esp. Yardley, I've read a few threads about Morrisville already)

Old 12-04-2009, 02:02 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
Both are still around and both are still dive bars in the Princeton sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennstater87 View Post
Thank you everyone for your help! I was looking around a little more and someone mentioned Yardley or Morrisville PA. Ive heard a lot of varying opinions about both. Anyone know anything about these areas? (esp. Yardley, I've read a few threads about Morrisville already)
Yardley may work, depending on type of dwelling. When you say "working in Princeton" that could mean a lot of things. So let me ask this: Is the physical location where you will be working in Princeton proper as in along Nassau Street? Or are you going to be working in one of the many corporate parks and centers along the Route 1 corridor?

If the former, Yardley would definitely be a good option because, you could take the SEPTA line into 30 Street Station and grab an NJ Transit train that would stop at Princeton Junction. Take the Jitney over to Princeton Station and you could walk the short distance to Nassau Street. If the latter, Yardley would still work, but you would need a car. Bear in mind that commutes up I-95 and Route 1 can be hectic, but very, very doable.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 81,680 times
NB is a nice college town with some decent nightlife and restaurants, I think you will like it there. What you can probably do is live midway between NB and Princeton, so it's a 15 mts drive either way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey