Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 17,470 times

Advertisements

I don't care if you're a democrat, independent, republican, white,black, rich or poor- President Obama's speech today at Fort Hood, Texas may go down as one of his best speech ever.

And yes, this comes from a White jersey republican.

The president was able to balance his duties as Commander in Chief while consoling a nation in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy. That he was able to do this while taking away the focus on the shooter's religion was even more impressive.

It was one of those speeches that makes you especially proud to be an American.

I guarantee that this speech will be remembered and taught in rhetoric/speech class for quite some time.

Obama had to lead a nation's grieving; he had to try and address the thorny issues of Islam and terrorism; to be firm; to express the spirit of America, using familiar, comforting tropes in a way that didn't sound trite."

He was able to strike a balance of commander and consoler; which is not an easy task.

Even Fox analyst to republicans at MSNB Pat Buchanan, Joe Scarborough, to republicans at CNN's Bill Bennett were all praises.

As Buchanan said, " The President made every soldier, every american, every family grieving proud to be an american today"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2009, 02:18 PM

3,238 posts, read 8,787,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLaurenDDS View Post
I don't care if you're a democrat, independent, republican, white,black, rich or poor- President Obama's speech today at Fort Hood, Texas may go down as one of his best speech ever.

And yes, this comes from a White jersey republican.

The president was able to balance his duties as Commander in Chief while consoling a nation in the aftermath of a terrible tragedy. That he was able to do this while taking away the focus on the shooter's religion was even more impressive.

It was one of those speeches that makes you especially proud to be an American.

I guarantee that this speech will be remembered and taught in rhetoric/speech class for quite some time.

Obama had to lead a nation's grieving; he had to try and address the thorny issues of Islam and terrorism; to be firm; to express the spirit of America, using familiar, comforting tropes in a way that didn't sound trite."

He was able to strike a balance of commander and consoler; which is not an easy task.

Even Fox analyst to republicans at MSNB Pat Buchanan, Joe Scarborough, to republicans at CNN's Bill Bennett were all praises.

As Buchanan said, " The President made every soldier, every american, every family grieving proud to be an american today"
I agree. I haven't heard the speach yet, but I'm sure it will be replayed all over the TV tonight. It's times like this that we all need to put aside our differences and come together as Americans.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
he managed to hide the fact that he supported the actions of the shooter? he didnt blame america for the shooting? im amazed.

ultimately, who cares? the president doesnt lead america. he is just a politician. if i want to grieve, i will do so on my own. i certainly dont need the president to lead me. a speech is just words. they mean nothing. i guess obama took the cue from what i had seen earlier where people noted that he seemed not to care about the shooting originally.

ps lauren isnt a republican.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 71,880 times
Ditto.

My husband & I pretty said the same thing. He gave an Excellent speech. It was truly moving. It's a hard balancing act to do. Once in a while, the country needs to put all the politics aside & just be americans.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:30 PM

28 posts, read 71,880 times
CaptainNJ-

Oh my lord ! Who would you have wanted to Address the Nation ?

A) Glenn Beck B) Rush Limbaugh C) Sarah Palin D) Sean Hannity.

Would they have been more sincere to you than this Barack Obama?

Would only a Conservative really care about americans who die ?

Lord Captain- you need some serious help.

The world you live in is not all about politics. Not every action, Not every moment, Not Every speech is about Conservative vs. Liberal, Republican vs. Democrat, Red vs. Blue.

You really need help before you hurt someone.

Old 11-10-2009, 02:38 PM

81 posts, read 174,304 times
i agree 100% with CaptainNJ.

I don't believe anything Obama said today.
I agree 100% with Captain NJ that Rush Limbaugh should have addressed the 57 million americans who watched the Fort Hood event today.

Mr. Limbaugh is also my idol like CaptainNJ. He is much more intelligent and educated than Obama.

Or if Sarah Palin was allowed to address the crowd today, I guarantee you that the entire nation would have been electrified with patriotism & love.

i agree 100% with CaptainNJ that all these liberals, all these democrats are Anti-american, Anti-USA.

I wished Obama talked about Lowering Taxes for all americans instead of all this consoling.

We do not need consoling. We republicans are strong. We love our country. We do not show tears.

These liberals don't love america.

Thanks CaptainNJ for fighting for us! I agree with CaptainNJ's prediction that NJ will comeback to Wealth, Prosperity, Low Taxes, and Abundant Jobs under Republican Christie.

Long Live Rush Limbaugh ! Down with all these liberals

Old 11-10-2009, 02:42 PM

81 posts, read 174,304 times
By the way, I agree with CaptainNJ.

Obama & Clinton are politicians. Do not believe them.

Bush, Cheney, Palin are not really politicians. They are patriotic leaders who are serving our nation. They are sincere. They love america.

Thanks CaptainnJ

Old 11-10-2009, 02:47 PM

94 posts, read 330,548 times
he managed to hide the fact that he supported the actions of the shooter? he didnt blame america for the shooting? im amazed

Bush, Cheney, Palin are not really politicians. They are patriotic leaders who are serving our nation. They are sincere. They love america.

Cue the yahoos...

Old 11-10-2009, 03:05 PM

9,374 posts, read 20,787,825 times
I'll probably be in the minority here, but I'll say it anyway. There should have been recognition by President Obama that this was an act of terror. And I know this would be difficult to inject into the speech, given today's PC climate. To be fair, I am not so sure Bush 43 or Clinton would do that either. But given what happened on September 11th, 2001, I think it is relevant, and fair game. When this story first broke, I forget what news agency it was, but the newscaster was refusing to release the details of the massacre, regarding the name of the accused, until it was almost painful to watch. And I think deep down, if the perpetrator's name was John Williams, or Jack Nelson, instead of the Muslim surname, those details would have been released almost immediately. People will confuse this to think it's a blanket indictment against Muslims, which I don't think it should be, given our recent past history, it should be brought up because to me, this is an act of Jihad, and therefore it should be pertinent in his speech.

Old 11-10-2009, 03:16 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CYBERSPACE View Post
CaptainNJ-

Oh my lord ! Who would you have wanted to Address the Nation ?

A) Glenn Beck B) Rush Limbaugh C) Sarah Palin D) Sean Hannity.

Would they have been more sincere to you than this Barack Obama?

Would only a Conservative really care about americans who die ?

Lord Captain- you need some serious help.

The world you live in is not all about politics. Not every action, Not every moment, Not Every speech is about Conservative vs. Liberal, Republican vs. Democrat, Red vs. Blue.

You really need help before you hurt someone.
you know how you can tell a politician is lying? his lips are moving.

obama is a politician, so dont blame me for making it about politics. everything obama does is about politics. same thing for any republican politician.

i really dont care who addresses the nation. i dont need someone to make a speech about grieving so that i can grieve. oh and rush, glenn and sean are all about ratings. so they arent the ideal candidate either, but they are better than any politician.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey