Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,788,126 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that all the posts on here about moving out of state are either extremely negative or extremely positive. There are those who trash NJ because they are "so happy" with their new state. There are those who hate their new state and can't wait to get back to NJ.

I moved from NJ to OK almost two years ago. I don't fall into either category. I don't think either place is heaven or hell. So here are some observations:

1. If you're moving out of NJ for the sole purpose of buying a better, bigger house with lower taxes, stay where you are.

2. If you've been in NJ most of your life be prepared for some major adjustments. People have accents, however, they think you should speak like "the Sopranos." Some people think NJ is Newark airport and it's surrounds and nothing else. Salaries may be lower, they may not be. Unless you're relocating to the west cost, COL will most likely be lower. In some areas your race, religion, and gender may work for or against you.

3. Things you've always taken for granted may be non-existent. Things you always wished you could do may be possible. You, your kids, or your spouse may love/hate your new place. You have to deal with that if you're going to stay.

4. In most places outside of the two coasts, your work ethic and experience may be more impressive than your Master's degree.

5. If you're not flexible, don't like change, think everyone should do it your way, and are intolerant of other viewpoints you should stay put.

6. Examine what your motivations are, what you're looking to get out of life and where you want your kids to be when they are adults. Don't just focus on the beautiful, low cost houses with low taxes. If you do, don't unpack once you get there, cause most likely y'all won't be staying, LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 09:50 AM

195 posts, read 491,698 times
Very good advice. Point #4 I've found to be especially true.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:09 AM

835 posts, read 1,179,990 times
Well either way I still see a mass exodus out of NJ

Old 11-23-2009, 10:16 AM

195 posts, read 491,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by block911 View Post
Well either way I still see a mass exodus out of NJ
I think that's going to be especially true as the baby boomers retire in larger numbers. Imagine how much it must suck having to pay property taxes that are nearly as much as their mortgage payments from 20-30 years ago were. Who wants to pay that when retired? And while I agree with the OP about not moving out of NJ solely for the cost of living, in some cases, it does make good sense.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:32 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citizen Chin View Post
I think that's going to be especially true as the baby boomers retire in larger numbers. Imagine how much it must suck having to pay property taxes that are nearly as much as their mortgage payments from 20-30 years ago were. Who wants to pay that when retired? And while I agree with the OP about not moving out of NJ solely for the cost of living, in some cases, it does make good sense.

Well retired baby boomers who want to move for warmer weather is a whole different ball game because they are taking the profit from the sale of their home up here and buying cash for a new home...no mortgage

Old 11-23-2009, 03:04 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,206 times
Great advice.

I would add, just because everyone seems so much nicer in your new destination, don't assume that they really are.

Old 11-23-2009, 04:01 PM

1,604 posts, read 3,884,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Great advice.

I would add, just because everyone seems so much nicer in your new destination, don't assume that they really are.
Something you have to give people from NJ, we're very honest about how we feel about you.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:57 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknic View Post
Something you have to give people from NJ, we're very honest about how we feel about you.
Honestly is our #1 trait.

I haven't lived in that many places across the country, but Dallas kind of freaked me out in that way. I thought everyone actually liked me and wanted to be my friend, lol. Not.

I can't read native Californians too well either.

Old 11-24-2009, 07:16 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Honestly is our #1 trait.

I haven't lived in that many places across the country, but Dallas kind of freaked me out in that way. I thought everyone actually liked me and wanted to be my friend, lol. Not.

I can't read native Californians too well either.

LOL and when they talked about you it always started with.....bless her lil ole heart BUT............lfill in the dots ol lol

Old 11-24-2009, 07:56 AM

394 posts, read 1,256,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by colleeng47 View Post
It seems to me that all the posts on here about moving out of state are either extremely negative or extremely positive. There are those who trash NJ because they are "so happy" with their new state. There are those who hate their new state and can't wait to get back to NJ.

I moved from NJ to OK almost two years ago. I don't fall into either category. I don't think either place is heaven or hell. So here are some observations:

1. If you're moving out of NJ for the sole purpose of buying a better, bigger house with lower taxes, stay where you are.
My sole purpose included all of the above in addition to cashing out the equity in my NJ home to wipe out all family debts. That alone has made our move to TX from NJ well worth it. We no longer need dual incomes and have a much simpler and happy life in TX (in addition to all of the things listed in item #1, above). All that I can add is that the person relocating really needs to do their financial homework before execution of the move. It has to make good financial sense. The "stay where you are" option would have us struggling with the birth of our second child last year.

Every situation is different.

-Eric
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: