Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 06:49 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,241 times

Advertisements

I thought that federal gov't and every state provided tax breaks with reference to property taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 07:12 AM

1,346 posts, read 2,203,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
I thought that federal gov't and every state provided tax breaks with reference to property taxes.
bwahahaha!!you need to get clued in! NJ govt giving breaks, you gotta be kidding.

first off there will be no 20% reduction that was just another scam used by the democraps to get elected, secondly if your family makes over 80k a year, forget about getting rebates. thirdly if you make over 120k a year you'll get hit with the federal AMT and lose all deductions.

government is the new organized crime, sucking all it can from the citizens

Old 05-17-2007, 07:40 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
We've lived in both Bergen and Sussex Counties. Our favorite was Sussex County. GREAT place to raise children! Great schools, ideal surroundings (lakes, rivers, mountains, etc.). We did, however, eventually move out of state due to the insane increases in property taxes and the "in-your-face" corruption. It's too bad, because New Jersey has so much to offer.
Good luck to you.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
We're not getting a "tax cut". Our politicians sold us a bill of goods with all of their theatrics over the budget.

We're getting up to a 20% rebate this year.

Of course, where is that money coming from since NJ is in debt?
1/2 is from the sales tax increase. don't know about you, but 73% of my property taxes are funding the schools. wouldn't it be prudent then for you to demand fiscal responsibility and accountability of your local town council and school board? county/town/open spaces taxes are actually quite reasonable.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:59 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Sorry to disagree with ehs, but New Brunswick is definitely not the place if you're thinking of raising family.

What is your price range? What do you consider to be "low taxes"? Can you be more specific about what you're looking for? Otherwise, you're going to be all over the map.

Old 05-17-2007, 09:02 AM

1,800 posts, read 5,717,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
Sorry to disagree with ehs, but New Brunswick is definitely not the place if you're thinking of raising family.

What is your price range? What do you consider to be "low taxes"? Can you be more specific about what you're looking for? Otherwise, you're going to be all over the map.
Good Morning, Ms. Charlotte!

Old 05-17-2007, 09:59 AM

79 posts, read 498,712 times
I personally like Gloucester county-Washington township area and Swedesboro area. Both areas are great for raising family-great school systems and low crimes....Taxes can be high(depending on your price range)but I rather pay to live in a good neighborhood, where my kids can play outside and not worry about the streets.

Good luck-
Maria

Old 05-17-2007, 10:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,754,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stmaarten View Post
Good Morning, Ms. Charlotte!
How are you, my friend? Enjoying our weather I hope.

Old 05-17-2007, 01:53 PM

56 posts, read 290,726 times
Default Ex Brooklynite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmc7 View Post
Hello! I've lived in Brooklyn all my life, and can't wait to get out of here. My family and I have been looking to move out of state for the past, well lets say for a very long time now. I've tried to research through internet and word of mouth, it's always a dead end and very confusing. This months new adventure is NJ. Does anyone have any information that can help lead me in the right direction. Schools, health, and obvious safety, also low taxes are very important. Everyones all American dream, right? I know it's out there, I just have to find it!!! Thanks!
Hi,
I was a born and breed Brooklynite and moved to Montclair. It's like Brooklyn only greener and yes, safer. There is life, wonderful life in NJ...in all sorts of towns. I'm a realtor in Montclair and work in Essex, Passaic, Morris Counties. It depends on what you and your family need/like. NYC easy transportation is available in most NJ towns...how long a commute is the issue. Also, schools, safety vary greatly! Low taxes are not the norm for most close to NYC towns...that's the only drag here. I found that coming from Brooklyn, I wanted a town with a pulse, diversity, good energy. I liked this area because of the abundance of restaurants, theatre, music, parks, etc. I could not go to a sleepy, more suburban town although many here a lovely and people are nice...they are more sedate. I find Essex County is more sedate than life in Brooklyn, but it's still alive and there's tons of fun things to enjoy. Feel free to email me privately. Good luck!
Elaine

Old 05-17-2007, 10:41 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
1/2 is from the sales tax increase. don't know about you, but 73% of my property taxes are funding the schools. wouldn't it be prudent then for you to demand fiscal responsibility and accountability of your local town council and school board? county/town/open spaces taxes are actually quite reasonable.
If 73% of your tax money is going to your schools, you've got a sweet deal going. Are you in an Abbott School district by any chance?

When the taxpayers of NJ's cities like Newark, Camden, Trenton etc. are only paying 10% or so of the cost of running their cities, where do think the 90% is coming from? The Feds? Not hardly.

We do have an accountable and somewhat efficient local govt. The urban centers don't because they don't have to as they've got the political clout to get more and more money without having to account for where it gets spent.

The state doles out the money and it ain't going back to the middle class and above suburbs. This isn't heresay, it's been written about extensively in the MSM (e.g. Star Ledger, Asbury Park Press).

This state is a corrupt money pit and people are leaving in droves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey