Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2011, 07:56 PM

176 posts, read 730,107 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My husband and I live and work in NY. Currently NY has become so crazy expensive that we are thinking about moving but hubby will still work in NYC area. He works in law enforcement and while he is located in Queens we both do not like Long Island. The taxes are too high, it is pretty segragated and for same type of house we have to go way out in Long Island. The reason is once we move I will no longer work, I will be home caring for our twin girls who are currently in special Ed program for development delays. So we are looking at a safe family friend area yet still hip as hubby and I like to enjoy our surroundings.

Also his hours of work is outside rush hour and when i mapquest his job to Teaneck we are looking at about 25 miles. Without traffic I believe he can get home pretty quickly. Can you guys help me with which locations to look? Are there other locations in the same area that are just as good or better that we should look at. Our budget is 350k I know that is low but we also own another home out here in NY we will be renting out and hubby will be he only one working. While his salary is 150k we still have to factor in issues with tenants, tolls, gas and we like to travel quite a bit. Also let me know if that amount is reasonable we have saved up quite a bit and willing to put down about 50k and still have good amount of savings as a back up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2011, 05:03 AM

1,527 posts, read 4,063,767 times
Is there a reason you picked Teaneck, other than distance?

In that area, I would look at Ridgefield Park.

Good luck.

Last edited by Ann77; 02-03-2011 at 05:13 AM..

Old 02-05-2011, 12:18 AM

286 posts, read 851,207 times
Teaneck has a very good program for special needs children. My son who is autistic went there before my town, Fort Lee, began their program. My son misses the Teaneck school.

Teaneck is a nice town but not hip. More a bedroom community.

350k for a house is a bit low. You could find a old small house for that price.

As for traffic, it can be busy even when not rush hour. The George Washington bridge can get backed up if some accident or congestion on the CrossBronx. Saturday and Sunday nights are crazy busy. He is looking at an hour at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey