U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 11:22 AM

18 posts, read 44,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Tenafly is too far in my book (about 20 minutes each way more than Fort Lee), and yes it is a tier 1 district tied with Millburn/Glen Ridge.

Seriously there are so many great towns in Bergen, I just wish there is a Metro North equivalent. 1 hour commute AND great schools rules out many areas.

Edgewater is Leonia indeed. My main concern about Edgewater is the superfund site next to City Place, and the River Road traffic. It is probably the only town on my list along with Fort Lee where I can afford something after 1980, but it is missing that family friendly vibe IMO.
I really like Edgewater, I don't live there so don't really know much about everyday lif there, but me and my girlfriend visit frequently to shop and enjoy the many fine restaurants there. Whatever you chose I hope it is what you are looking for and you and your family enjoy it. Good luck to you!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM

1,319 posts, read 3,973,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitmantb View Post
Edgewater is Leonia indeed. My main concern about Edgewater is the superfund site next to City Place, and the River Road traffic. It is probably the only town on my list along with Fort Lee where I can afford something after 1980, but it is missing that family friendly vibe IMO.
I live in Edgewater and here's my personal view about the following...

1. Superfund site: Hardly makes any difference to people that live in the area. It's closed off and not like kids or adult will run & play on top of the superfund site. When gov't finish cleaning up the superfund site, something will get built on top so it'll cause some traffic jam but till then I don't think it's any major concern. I'm definitely not expert but places like Gowanus appear and smell helluva lot worse than superfund here in Edgewater

2. If you don't mind paying extra, ferry is one of the fastest way to get to NYC. It's also the most expensive however.

3. River Road traffic is not too bad if you live toward edge of town bordering Fort Lee to quick access. It's pretty bad if you live in say around City View to Trader Joe (Avalon) area. Only two lane and there's only like 3 ways to get out of town via car.

4. There is temporary elementary school problem (shortage in space) for Edgewater.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:32 AM

69 posts, read 316,860 times
I actually went to an open house near the Whole Food in Edgewater. We took the bus to experience the day-to-day commute also to get a vibe on the area (driving and walking through a neighborhood gives you totally different feelings).

I love the new constructions there, don't get me wrong, as it is one of the few few few towns with affordable new constructions, acceptable schools and great commute to NYC. However, my wife mentioned the area still feels very industrial (except for the shopping areas of course) as a whole, and she feels insecured if our daughter ever has to run outside by herself. The river road reminds me of Queens Blvd except the side walk is super narrow, heck when we tried to walk from the open house to Mitsuwa for a bowl of ramen there were stretches of the road with no side walk at all! I just don't know if I want to raise a family there. I will probably choose Fort Lee over Edgewater and eat the slight increase in commute time, as it feels quite a bit more residential and schools are slightly better as well. But Edgewater property tax is seriously mouthwatering . . . I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too . . .

Old 01-28-2014, 06:44 PM

113 posts, read 164,602 times
Hasbrouck Heights also has really good schools, but the kids there can be snobby if you didn't start there from the beginning (I went there for 8th & 9th grade). Rutherford and East Rutherford have nice schools too. These places are only like 10 or 15 minutes away. Jersey City is really close to NYC, but there's really bad parts of that city. Some people say Fort Lee is nice, but I've heard it's not nice, too. Wood-Ridge is like 10 minutes away, it's not bad as in dangerous schools, but not that good. Montclair is supposed to be nice, but that's like 20 minutes.

Old 06-04-2014, 05:59 PM

5 posts, read 9,435 times
Edit Status

1 posts
Rutherford. This must be a secret because everyone skips mention of Rutherford . It's 8 miles west of NYC . It's on a train line, bus line , has a main ave full of restaurants and has a blue ribbon school district. So many of the towns in the popular list are over an hour commute each way . Rutherford is one of the closest to NYC and one of the quickest commutes, best school systems , best restaurants , and walkable town. If you can't see NYC then you are very far away.

Old 06-04-2014, 08:00 PM

9,993 posts, read 17,113,235 times
Njgirlcheryl: Are you the Mayor of Rutherford or something? You don't have to keep digging up old threads to mention Rutherford; we know it's there and we do mention it fairly often. In fact, it was mentioned one post above. (Want a neglected town? Try Clark, or Roseland, or North Arlington, or Lyndhurst)

Old 10-21-2015, 06:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,019 times
Default Garfield,NJ

I know this is way too late but in case no one answered your question, I have a decent answer. I live in Garfield, NJ 07026 and it has very good schools and high schools nearby your kids can apply to if they have a high academic status. There are also many buses there and trains you can take to Manhattan where I visit my friends. It's only about 25 minutes maximum. Hope this would have helped you six years ago. 😜

Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 PM

8 posts, read 7,810 times
How old are your kids? if you are looking for excellent elementary, middle and high schools then Fair Lawn is your best option. The housing prices are very reasonable (for Bergen County), schools are great and the commute is very convenient.

Many people take the NJ Transit. Your ride from Radburn Station (Fair Lawn) to Hoboken is 25 min. The ride from Radburn to Penn Station will take you 40min.
Most of my friends work in the City and love the commute.
Bus is another option. It takes about 50 min to an hour to the Port Authority.
I hope this helps.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:41 PM

8 posts, read 7,810 times
In addition to my previous post, I recommend you look into the Glen Rock and Ridgewood options.
Both have even better schools, but the taxes are higher and properties are more expensive.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:34 AM

110 posts, read 150,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfieldnjisthebest View Post
I live in Garfield, NJ 07026 and it has very good schools and high schools nearby your kids can apply to if they have a high academic status.
I am not sure if you are being sarcastic here. Can you quantify your statement that Garfield has good schools? They are ranked 5 at best on greatschools.org and that is no where near good. Am I missing something here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey