Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 09:17 AM

14 posts, read 26,684 times

Advertisements

Hi all!

I have scoured the forum looking for some answers, but nothing has specifically answered my particular need and I'm hoping you all can help. It's possible that I will be accepting a new job In Woodcliff Lake and I know very little about this area, or NJ as a whole. In fact, the only things I know have come from this forum or others like it. I will be taking a trip down there before I accept obviously, but it would help to get opinions on where I should look since my time will be limited.

TO be specific in what I am looking for, I am a 33 yr. old lesbian with a partner and a toddler, and although my job would be a good paying one, 90K or so, I still don't think Woodcliff Lake would be a reasonable place to rent (from what I have read in other posts). I like the somewhat rural aspects of Maine, although I need conveniences as well (I lived in the LA area of Southern California for 17 years). Safety/schools, an easy commute, affordable rent (I won't be buying until I can sell me home in Maine), and a welcoming gay community are important to my family.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 09:21 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsgolden View Post
Hi all!

I have scoured the forum looking for some answers, but nothing has specifically answered my particular need and I'm hoping you all can help. It's possible that I will be accepting a new job In Woodcliff Lake and I know very little about this area, or NJ as a whole. In fact, the only things I know have come from this forum or others like it. I will be taking a trip down there before I accept obviously, but it would help to get opinions on where I should look since my time will be limited.

TO be specific in what I am looking for, I am a 33 yr. old lesbian with a partner and a toddler, and although my job would be a good paying one, 90K or so, I still don't think Woodcliff Lake would be a reasonable place to rent (from what I have read in other posts). I like the somewhat rural aspects of Maine, although I need conveniences as well (I lived in the LA area of Southern California for 17 years). Safety/schools, an easy commute, affordable rent (I won't be buying until I can sell me home in Maine), and a welcoming gay community are important to my family.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe check out Mahwah? West Milford?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Default ME vs NJ

A huge difference between Maine and NJ is anything you might need in NJ is within half an hour of where ever you live. Maine requires you move near what you want or you drive forever.

Northwest NJ is the backwoods compared to northeastern NJ. It is that dramatic. Northwest area around West Milford is NJ's snowbelt. Lot of glacial lakes and hiking opportunities. A huge strip of fedral land runs down along the Delaware river in addition to many public wildlife management areas and state parks peppered through the area.

You could live much further south, west or south west and make Woodcliff lake a reasonable commute. Unless you are big time citified, east of WCL will not be your cup of tea.

W Milford and west is where we keep all our black bears. You can literally run into a deer in pretty much any town in NJ.

Pompton lakes, Riverdale, Boonton, Bloomingdale, Butler, Greenpond, West Milford. Consider towns further south, central and west within striking distance of the garden state parkway or rt 287.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:18 AM

Thanks TommyC! I will absolutely be checking these places out.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:24 AM

Kracer, your information is a HUGE help. Do you have a preference among of any of the towns you mentioned? You're right about having to drive forever to get to any conveniences here in Maine, which is why I live in a more metropolitan area (of course Metro Maine is NOTHING like Metro anyplace else!) LOL. I'm not a "country girl" by any means, but with a Toddler, I don't want to be in a concrete jungle either. Any opinions you may have on the specific towns you mentioned would be appreciated.

Old 11-30-2009, 10:58 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Suggest you drive around the areas mentioned and see what appeals to you. Rt 23 to county rds 511 and 513 would reveal a representation of the areas mentioned. 287 to 23 west to 511 s to Boonton back up to 23 w to 513 which runs back into 511. Go a bit further south on 23 to see what's up. Takes you thru W milford, Ringwood and into Bloomingdale and back to 23.

Consider the Fanwood, Westfield,north Plainfield area which is south and west but withing striking distance of the parkway and a trip north to WCL.
Those specific areas attract lot of young professionals and have benefited by the restoration of many of the victorian homes and neighborhoods.

For kicks do some driving into the hinterlands of the Patterson, Paramus, Ridgewood. The differences will be apparent.

Look to the numbered county roads for good pathways in and around the state.

Traffic is impressive everywhere so be prepared.

Old 11-30-2009, 01:59 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,269,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Suggest you drive around the areas mentioned and see what appeals to you. Rt 23 to county rds 511 and 513 would reveal a representation of the areas mentioned. 287 to 23 west to 511 s to Boonton back up to 23 w to 513 which runs back into 511. Go a bit further south on 23 to see what's up. Takes you thru W milford, Ringwood and into Bloomingdale and back to 23.

Consider the Fanwood, Westfield,north Plainfield area which is south and west but withing striking distance of the parkway and a trip north to WCL.
Those specific areas attract lot of young professionals and have benefited by the restoration of many of the victorian homes and neighborhoods.

For kicks do some driving into the hinterlands of the Patterson, Paramus, Ridgewood. The differences will be apparent.

Look to the numbered county roads for good pathways in and around the state.

Traffic is impressive everywhere so be prepared.
Traffic in NJ is not bad at all when comparing it to a lot of other places.

Old 12-01-2009, 05:19 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,953,206 times
I agree that Mahwah would be a great place to start by renting for a year. There are a lot of condos and townhouses that you can rent from private owners. Great schools if you decide to stay, pretty, hilly, lots of parks, convenient location.

Even from Mahwah to Woodcliff Lake, your commute is going to be about a half hour for the ten miles, so keep that in mind.

Not sure on the West Milford area, I would try renting for a year somewhere else closer and then use the year to research a move out that way if you think you're interested. I think Westfield is too far. Montclair might be an option though, nice town, downtown, liberal environment.

If you want to be really near Woodcliff Lake, you could also try Westwood. It has a cute little downtown that you might like and rentals.

Mod cut: NO links to real estate sites, per TOS.

Good luck with your move and your new job : )

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-01-2009 at 06:29 AM..

Old 12-01-2009, 05:53 AM

555 posts, read 1,653,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvsgolden View Post
Hi all!

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Is your partner going to be working? $90k won't go far in house hunting in Bergen county, especially with the costs of daycare in NJ. You may want to get a feel for how much house you'd be looking to buy after you sell your home in Maine, see what areas you can buy a home for that much, and consider renting there to get a better feel for the area. Maybe it's just my experience, but with everything being so close in NJ, you don't tend to leave your immediate area to get to know other areas, even 15 miles away, all that well. For much of Northern Bergen county or places up Route 23, a 4 bedroom 2 bathroom home that's 50 years old will run you around $300k with something like $8,000 in property taxes. West Milford is definitely more rural and cheaper so that may be a good place for you to look. Mahwah is even higher than what I quoted I believe.

Old 12-01-2009, 07:05 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,637,466 times
My first question is: Why? I don't particularly care for the cold weather, but if I had the ability to move from where I am now in NJ to anywhere in Maine, I would do it in a heartbeat.

That said, you should look into Warren, Sussex, and Hunterdon counties if you want something that feels a bit more like what you're used to. Northern Passaic County is a bit more rural as well (I believe someone mentioned West Milford), though nothing like northern New England rural. The immediate NYC metropolitan area (Hudson, Bergen, Essex) is the absolute pits.

Your best bet would be to stay put, really
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey