Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 PM

52 posts, read 132,286 times

Advertisements

How is life in Jersey City for an unmarried person? Weather? Is there a lot of crime? Expensive? Is there lots to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2009, 07:29 AM

412 posts, read 1,327,110 times
Oh this is gonna be another one of those threads. I can feel it, lol.

It all depends on which part of Jersey City you are considering.

Skip the Greenville section, you might want to look at Downtown Jersey City, Journal Square and Jersey City Heights.

Downtown Jersey City & Journal Square you are in walking distance to the PATH train but rents can be a bit high but it depends on your income and what you are willing to pay.

Jersey City Heights the rents are a bit cheaper and depending where in the Heights you are close to the Hoboken Light Rail that you can take to the PATH train into the city and there are tons on NJ transit buses also.

I'm unmarried, for now, but I don't have a problem living in the Heights, the weather is like any weather in the Northeast section of the U.S. Four seasons, winter, spring, summer, fall.

Jersey City Heights isn't that popular for hanging out but its not that far from Hoboken where most of the bars and entertainment is.

Downtown Jersey City you can find nice restuarants, bars and around Grove St,there are some very eclectic shops.

Journal Square, don't know too much about it but someone will comment on it.

Just be aware of the Naysayers that will come in this thread and tell you to avoid JC like the plague and move to their area.

Old 12-01-2009, 08:54 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Jersey City has almost 300,000 residents, so it's a mid-sized CITY, which means there are lots of GREAT areas, and some really BAD areas too.

Really the only part of Jersey City that has "lots" to do (restaurants, nightlife, cafes, museums) is the Downtown neighborhoods.

I don't know where you are coming from, but the weather here is hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

There are lots of threads on this forum on Jersey City...you should use the search tool and do some research!

Old 12-01-2009, 09:40 AM

2,771 posts, read 6,275,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocoaeve View Post
Journal Square, don't know too much about it but someone will comment on it.
Journal square is a blue collar neighborhood. It is diverse in the true sense of the word (there are many South American, Middle Eastern and some Indian immigrants). The main attraction is "Little India", two blocks where there are several indian restaurants, take out places, grocery stores, etc.

Journal Square is reasonably safe as cities go, but obviously it's a city -- it's safe enough for an alert and intelligent adult, but you wouldn't want your 3 year old child riding their tricycle in the street unsupervised.

If you're concerned about getting home safely to Journal Square or the heights after a night out on the weekend, there are always cabs lined up outside Journal Square station. For about $5- including tip, you can get a ride right to your doorstep.

Old 12-02-2009, 12:15 AM

303 posts, read 752,512 times
Like said before avoid Greenville. Its the cheapest plac eto live on the city but has a high crime rate robberies, homicides, burgarly you name it if your willing to brave it and live there go ahead.
Downtown is expensive with very few places that are affordable. Downtown has many restaurants bars, and cafes.
J Sq is somewhat bad, has moderate crime but not often and it has Little India with obviously many Indian shops and restaurants but the area not very exciting at all.
The Heights is the biggest section with lots of affordable living just not Ogden Ave CEntral Ave isthe main ave where there are shops a few restaurants but mostly local need shop like 99cents store, supermarkets video store pizzza stores usual shops. Crime her is also moderate and much change is expected here mainly the most northern part of the heights with Washington park having been renovated and some luxuary apartments being built in front of Heights Plaza on Summit ave so you chose

Old 12-02-2009, 05:06 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,371,356 times
Avoid JC like the plague and move to another area!!!
I agree!

Lived in the Heights for 2 years. Tons of crime, broken in cars, accidents, murders, list goes on and on. If you speak Spanish and not English, you are a step ahead of the game!

There are much nicer and safer cities..move on.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:42 PM

19 posts, read 81,684 times
Hoboken and Newport are areas close to JC, but are safer and more happening for young folks.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:22 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,088,594 times
Newport is in JC. Anywhere downtown JC or near Grove St stop I'd move to. HOboken is good too if you have money,

Old 12-11-2009, 08:36 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,271,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivedita View Post
Hoboken and Newport are areas close to JC, but are safer and more happening for young folks.
Well, Newport is a neighborhood IN Jersey City, and yes it's safe...but happening? I think not.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:22 PM

5 posts, read 10,963 times
from what i've seen of downtown jersey city, i think it's a great scatter of places to go to. having a main street or a restaurant row is fun, but i like that it seems to have less 'touristy' places. it seems to go along with the more chill vibe, as if it's "less popular" than hoboken, which i personally relate to and is what i'm looking for right now. not quite as hidden/industrial as williamsburg, but maybe similar to park slope or side streets of hoboken.

with all the positive things everyone i've talked to has had to say about the area, the only crime even brought up is burglaries. has anyone had this happen to themselves or friends/neighbors? do you think this has/is changing over a year or so? and do you think this is more prevalent on certain streets, at certain times of day, if you have a ground level vs highrise apt? or maybe it's a matter of apt vs from a car-?

any advice here would be appreciated! again, i go between feeling paranoid and knowing this is true of any city, and wanting to be thoroughly informed if this is true, or there are ways to prevent it...

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey