U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2007, 06:31 PM

2 posts, read 8,699 times

Advertisements

We are a lesbian couple, with no kids, looking to move to NJ from Saint Petersburg, FL. I was born in Andover, NJ, and loved it there, but now I'm used to city-living. St. Petersburg is right near Tampa, and has 24 hour McDonalds, grocery stores, ect. It has a Downtown aera with lots of art stores, cool little music/coffee shops, a good nightlife. We are trying to find the same type of town/city in NJ. We hate the heat down here, and would like to get married. We pay $600.00 rent here, and obviously know cost of living is higher there, but we'd like to find a cool town that's not too expensive.
Any suggestions? Or any other sites with this kind of info? I was looking at Union County on a map, it looks like there are a few bigger city's there, but I wouldn't want to live in any place like Newark! It's also a good location, close to NYC, and the beaches! Since living in FL, I've been within a 30 min. drive to the beach.

Thank you so much to all who reply!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2007, 06:39 PM

12,285 posts, read 34,301,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksally88 View Post
We are a lesbian couple, with no kids, looking to move to NJ from Saint Petersburg, FL. I was born in Andover, NJ, and loved it there, but now I'm used to city-living. St. Petersburg is right near Tampa, and has 24 hour McDonalds, grocery stores, ect. It has a Downtown aera with lots of art stores, cool little music/coffee shops, a good nightlife. We are trying to find the same type of town/city in NJ. We hate the heat down here, and would like to get married. We pay $600.00 rent here, and obviously know cost of living is higher there, but we'd like to find a cool town that's not too expensive.
Any suggestions? Or any other sites with this kind of info? I was looking at Union County on a map, it looks like there are a few bigger city's there, but I wouldn't want to live in any place like Newark! It's also a good location, close to NYC, and the beaches! Since living in FL, I've been within a 30 min. drive to the beach.

Thank you so much to all who reply!
Red Bank? Cool hangouts, trendy restaurants, not far from NY, closer to the beach than Union Cnty, fairly affordable - some areas better than others (but nothing like Newark)......Good luck!

Old 05-16-2007, 09:52 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,771,404 times
$600 a month is St Pete? An absolute steal. You are going to find yourself in a commuter sort of life and it will not compare to what you have now. Somewhere between Pt Pleasant and Red Bank might be a good area to target but it is very suburban in that area and your job might be elsewhere. Would a place like Cape May be interesting to you?

Old 05-17-2007, 06:06 AM

8 posts, read 55,739 times
The great thing about Jersey is that where ever you end up you'll be welcomed. We are more progressive then Fl. and welcome your choices.
As for a more progressive area vs. another... anything along the hudson river area. Edgewater, fort lee, jersey city..ect.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 AM

604 posts, read 2,793,811 times
I know Plainfield is a Gay friendly town with many older but elegant homes being renovated and at very good prices considering the location.
The major downside to Plainfield according to news reports is the very large drug problem. It is pretty well known in NJ that Plainfield is where to go if you are looking to purchase drugs.

E

Old 05-17-2007, 08:16 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,771,404 times
Florida does have its progressive areas. There are not many places in north NJ that have what this OP is looking for. Most of NJ is not similar to what they have now. A resort area might be closer to that. Maybe somewhere like Cape Cod. I only mentioned Cape May because it is in NJ but there is nothing urban in NJ or New England that is similar to the Tampa area.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:45 AM

34 posts, read 156,820 times
The best advice for cheaper rents will be in the local newspapers. On the internet, and in apartment booklets you'll find 2 bedroom places from $1,500 to $2,500 give or take. In the paper you'll get away with it for a grand or perhaps less if lucky. The issue is that you'll have to be present to go and look at the places, thats my current issue.

Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 8,699 times
I looked into Red Bank, and that seems like an ideal spot, thanks for that! It seems to be posted in a few other places about it being an artsy gay-friendly town. I'm not sure where Cape May is, I'm going to look it up now.
My gf works at Starbucks, and makes around $7-8/hr., so I'm sure the wages are higher in NJ too, and we only need a 1 bdrm. I actually saw an add for a 1 bdrm. in Plainfeild for $700., not too bad. Funny you mentioned that emanon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey