U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 07:44 AM

518 posts, read 1,681,195 times

Advertisements

My kids are lucky enough to be in a great school system. My one problem is that their food for lunch consist of local take out (Burger King, Pizza, bagels, ziti, subs and Chinese food). It is pretty expensive and in my eyes not well balanced with fruit and vegetables. It seems to fit the guide lines for fat ratios, but one 5 piece chicken nugget from Wendy's for a 5th grade boy is not enough. He still wants a snack and drink-so this easily puts the calorie and fat intake up. I have complained to the Superintendent and to the school but our PTA runs this and there are no provisions for cooking in our school. I suggest hiring a local caterer but it would probably be too much money.

Does your school district have a lunch program? I have checked around and it seem that we are a weird town cause most do. I know my only choice is to just make lunch and I do. But most kids are buying lunch and I do it from time to time to help me kids feel like they fit in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2009, 01:03 PM

9,124 posts, read 34,434,679 times
Our elementary school in Woodbridge didn't have a kitchen when I was growing up, but they had lunches brought in that were fairly decent- definitely not fast food. My girls' elementary school in GA has a full-blown kitchen, and the menu is actually pretty impressive- any bread products are whole wheat, they have salads on the menu every day as an option, and there's always "reduced fat" options, fruit, and vegetables to select. In today's day and age, it's absurd that a school anywhere would serve fast food for lunch- and especially in NJ where your property taxes are so high, reportly to provide "the best schools in the nation".

Old 12-03-2009, 01:23 PM

1,645 posts, read 3,405,031 times
I don't intend this to sound rude, but what's wrong with making your son a lunch? School lunch programs are optional and the student always has the freedom to bring in something from home.

When I was in the public school system, I ate cafeteria food, but I brought in food from home whenever I felt like it - sandwiches, fruit, chips; even leftovers and meals in plastic containers. The school won't have a problem with this.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:32 PM

25 posts, read 88,523 times
It sounds like the PTA runs this a fundraiser at your school. As a former exec board member for my kids pta I can asure you that nothing strirs more opinions then the lunch program. Your best bet is to talk to the co-chair for lunch or president of your pta. Before you do so take your feed back from here, offer to do the leg work of call a few local food businesses and get a price quote for some meals. In my own childs school we used to use mostly local businesses to supply our lunch. Pasta with sauce, pizza, chicken and carrots, bagels etc. Parents wanted variety, school wanted something quick and easy, PTA was alway short on volunteers to serve lunch. This year we went with a company called simply gourmet lunches. There menu changes monthly (variety) each lunch is boxed with the kids name (quick and easy) and only take 2 volunteers to serve lunch (help shortage). The cons on this is the price. Lunches are more expensive, the pta not making as much of a profit. Complaints from parents is the price and some of the portions they think are not big enough for older kids (5th grade). So it never ends. If you want more info on the simply gourment lunches DM me. By the way my kids kindergarten and 5th love the lunches I order from them.

Old 12-03-2009, 05:43 PM
ira

657 posts, read 3,749,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
My kids are lucky enough to be in a great school system. My one problem is that their food for lunch consist of local take out (Burger King, Pizza, bagels, ziti, subs and Chinese food). It is pretty expensive and in my eyes not well balanced with fruit and vegetables. It seems to fit the guide lines for fat ratios, but one 5 piece chicken nugget from Wendy's for a 5th grade boy is not enough. He still wants a snack and drink-so this easily puts the calorie and fat intake up. I have complained to the Superintendent and to the school but our PTA runs this and there are no provisions for cooking in our school. I suggest hiring a local caterer but it would probably be too much money.

Does your school district have a lunch program? I have checked around and it seem that we are a weird town cause most do. I know my only choice is to just make lunch and I do. But most kids are buying lunch and I do it from time to time to help me kids feel like they fit in.
Wow, I am shocked to hear this. When everybody talk about childhood obesity and other conditions caused by poor diet, it really shocks me to hear that a school district would do that. I live in Ridgewood (Bergen County) and we have an awesome lunch program. They offer, good, wholesome, well-balanced menu. If it's chicken, it's all white meat, if it's fries, they are baked not fried. And they bring fruits and veggies with every meal.

I like my son to eat at school because he is a very picky eater at home, but in the cafeteria, he would eat almost anything. Sometimes peer pressure is a good thing :-)

Old 12-04-2009, 06:41 PM

1,106 posts, read 4,669,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by familymom View Post
My kids are lucky enough to be in a great school system. My one problem is that their food for lunch consist of local take out (Burger King, Pizza, bagels, ziti, subs and Chinese food). I

Our school was built in 1916. No cafeteria, no anything but a room next to the gym was converted to a kitchen (I would estimate the size to be about 15x15). The food is in small tins that heat up in big ovens sort of like airline food used to be. There is always a protein, a vegetable and a starch. The food is low fat, whole wheat products and desert is always fruit. The truth is my daughter only eats the whole wheat Pizza on Fridays otherwise she likes lunch from home-personally I don't blame her and I'm happy to pack a lunch but for those kids that have parents who don't send lunch at least they are provided a balanced alternative.

I would contact the press and the state regarding the lack of nutritious options. The PTA should be offering more healthy options. In my opinion, the things you listed are OK for a fundraiser once a week but not everyday.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:49 AM

1,645 posts, read 3,405,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjersey View Post
Our school was built in 1916. No cafeteria, no anything but a room next to the gym was converted to a kitchen (I would estimate the size to be about 15x15). The food is in small tins that heat up in big ovens sort of like airline food used to be. There is always a protein, a vegetable and a starch. The food is low fat, whole wheat products and desert is always fruit. The truth is my daughter only eats the whole wheat Pizza on Fridays otherwise she likes lunch from home-personally I don't blame her and I'm happy to pack a lunch but for those kids that have parents who don't send lunch at least they are provided a balanced alternative.

I would contact the press and the state regarding the lack of nutritious options. The PTA should be offering more healthy options. In my opinion, the things you listed are OK for a fundraiser once a week but not everyday.
Not the best idea, unless you want the already insane and over-regulatory NJ state government to involve itself further in our daily lives and tell us what we can and can not eat. This is getting out of hand.

Old 12-05-2009, 01:08 PM

5,617 posts, read 14,632,832 times
let me say that Demerest which is Northern Valley High School lunch is terrible. All fried junk. The teenages only eat fries and mozz. sticks. Its complete junk and garbage.

Old 12-05-2009, 08:15 PM

249 posts, read 710,661 times
Is this a public school that you are talking about? I teach in a public school and we went through some really big changes a few years ago. The food service company the district uses changed their menu big time. They do order Dominoes once a month, but other than that they are pretty good about staying within the nutritional guidelines.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:40 AM

46 posts, read 43,697 times
The school cafeterias must meet govt nutrition standards on each lunch tray. However, those cafeterias are also in business to make money. They are also run (most of the time) by third party companies such as Sodexo. They will not provide the food that YOU WANT unless you force them to do it. Calling the school may not get it done.

You want to see healthy options for lunch such as Dannon yogurt and other nutritious items. Unfortunately, many schools simply photocopy the same menus they have been using for 30 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey