Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM

13 posts, read 27,307 times

Advertisements

Hey guys. I just got a job in Warren, NJ. I am from upstate NY so I dont know the area well at all. I will be coming down tuesday to look at apartments then hopefully choosing one the following week. I can spend $1000 maximum and even that will be pushing it until I can get my feet on the ground. I have several places picked out and would like some advice! Or if you have any other ideas that would be great.

1. 11 Reid st Elizabeth, NJ

2. Raritan Crossing 18 Regency Manor Drive New Brunswick, NJ

3. Tov Manor 80 Phelps Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ‎

4. Nieuw Amsterdam 1-1 Van Delft Drive outh Amboy, NJ

5. Clinton Village apartments Clinton NJ

I also looked at Landing Lane in New Brunswick but Im not sure if I can afford it.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 06:04 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
Check this place out in Middlesex, NJ it is only about a 10 min drive to Warren. All the places you listed are at least 30-50 min. drive.
Middlesex Village Apartments

27A Marlborough Avenue, Middlesex, NJ
(732) 356-5550‎

Old 12-06-2009, 08:55 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Of all the places on your list, OP, the only one I'd be considering is Clinton. The rest are too far AND too pricey. Why not take a look at a map and look closer to Warren - Plainfield, Millington, Stirling, Watchung, and even Somerville are better located for you.

Old 12-07-2009, 05:00 AM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Of all the places on your list, OP, the only one I'd be considering is Clinton. The rest are too far AND too pricey. Why not take a look at a map and look closer to Warren - Plainfield, Millington, Stirling, Watchung, and even Somerville are better located for you.

Agreed.

And definitely cross off the two places you list in New Brunswick. They are not good options.

For reference, Warren is sort of in no man's land along one of the peaks of the Watchung Hills. Honestly, there are very few apartment complexes in the area that are at the top of the "mountain." Most dwellings in and around the area are single family homes. There may be a few townhomes just off Route 22.

Your best best would be to look in the valley and include towns like Bound Brook, Middlesex, Dunellen, the Plainfields (North, South, and proper), and Watchug. IIRC, there is or was an apartment complex off Route 22 in North Plainfield along Tallwood Lane. However, I don't know how good or bad the area is as my last visit was about five years ago.

Good luck in your search!

Old 12-07-2009, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,837 times
My first job was in Warren, and at the time I wanted something as close as possible to Warren as I just recieved my drivers license, and didn't want a long drive. I found a nice 1br in Bound Brook in a small garden apartment complex. My rent was $850 (this was in 2005, but I don't think rents have gone up much since then).

I was in a somewhat similar situation - not familiar with the area and trying to find an apartment mostly on the internet, as I was in school at the time and didn't have a car to go and visit places. A few points of advice:

1. Don't limit yourself to sites that only show large complexes (like rent.com)
Use craigslist and the local newspaper's website (mycentraljersey.com). My complex was 20 units, and the landlord/owner only advertised in the newspaper as a unit became available.

2. Call and ask lots of questions, you may be able to rule out places without seeing them. (How many sq feet? What condition is it in? How many closets? Does the kitchen have all apliances? What kind of floors?)

3. I agree on the recommendation of Bound Brook, Middlesex, Dunellen, the Plainfields (North, South), and Watchung. I saw several apartments in Plainfield proper, and they were all pretty crappy, but YMMV. Also check South Bound Brook - I know they have several apartment complexes and its a bit nicer of a town than Bound Brook. Bridgewater is a little farther but also worth a look.

4. Map out what your commute is going to be, and remember that NJ traffic can be brutal during rush hour, sometimes doubling the suggested time by Google maps. 78 and 287 normally aren't too bad (unless there's an accident) but other local main roads that you might take to the highways can get really backed up. When viewing apartments, you may want to ask about the traffic situation during rush hour for the route you would take to Warren.

Feel free to let me know if there are any other questions. I actually really liked living in Bound Brook and working in Warren. I had a 15 minute commute, which is rare in NJ, and I only moved because I wanted to move in with my boyfriend, but he wasn't willing to do the commute to Manhattan from Bound Brook.

Old 12-12-2009, 10:10 PM

129 posts, read 380,679 times
So. Plainfield, No. Plainfield, South Bound Brook, Middlesex, Dunnellen, Somerset, Somerville, Green Brook.

Not that you CAN'T find anything, but just be more cautious of Bound Brook and Plainfield. There are nice and not-so-nice areas in both towns.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:22 PM

13 posts, read 27,307 times
Thanks everyone. I ended up in Cranford and I love it. Working in jersey City now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey