Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 03:37 PM

1,549 posts, read 2,583,174 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from Denver and have also lived in the south, Pacific Northwest, and the midwest. I've not spent much time in the Northeast and I've never been to New Jersey. I have seen some of these shows on TV that portray Jersey negatively and I wanted to hear from some people about what's real and what's not. Are a lot of people in New Jersey like the stereotype? I lived in the south and some people fit the sterotype. Do other people look down on people like those in Jersey Shore? Is there a prejudice against Italian Americans in Jersey? I have no concept of what it must be like....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 PM

4,287 posts, read 10,767,307 times
Theres no prejudice against italians in NJ... Italians are the biggest group of anyone in the area.

Not everyone acts like these people on Jersey shore... I know a handful of them in real life, but thats it. And i am the same age range as the people on the show.

and also those people are supposed to be wild and crazy. regular guido girls in NJ arent as loose and sl**ty as these girls on that show.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:47 PM

5 posts, read 16,309 times
NJ is nothing like the show.... please do not buy into it.

If you really want to see those type of people, take a ride over to staten island.

have a nice day

Old 12-06-2009, 08:48 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,108,085 times
Nah, if you want to see "those type" of people, don't come here - they skip over us heading from Brooklyn to Jersey

Old 12-06-2009, 09:01 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,486,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Hi, I am from Denver and have also lived in the south, Pacific Northwest, and the midwest. I've not spent much time in the Northeast and I've never been to New Jersey. I have seen some of these shows on TV that portray Jersey negatively and I wanted to hear from some people about what's real and what's not. Are a lot of people in New Jersey like the stereotype? I lived in the south and some people fit the sterotype. Do other people look down on people like those in Jersey Shore? Is there a prejudice against Italian Americans in Jersey? I have no concept of what it must be like....
It's just as stereotyped as the PNW and the midwest is. Or you haven't heard about those stereotypes? That's ok. I'll fill you in:

The PNW is full of hippies growing pot in their backyards, eating high-meat and guzzling raw cow milk by the gallons, showering once a week, at best, and chock full of self-appointed intellectuals who would rather homeschool their kids to the point where a 10 year old is doing 1st grade math b/c it's all about composting and saving the world.

The midwest is full of tornado watchers and poor farmers and people who live in trailers and like to square dance. All the time.

The south, holy moly! Full of the KKK, evangelists and hate for anything not white and not believing in the literal word for word of the bible. Not to mention women who still wear hoop skirts and fan themselves while drinking lemonade or sweet tea on the front porches of their huge houses while watching their slaves work their plantation.....

Colorado, especially Denver, is full of gangs, old cowboys and people who pretty much only work at ski resorts. Or Dude ranches. Colorado is a nice place to visit, if you stay in Vail or Aspen, but the rest? Completely useless.

See where I'm going with this?

Stereotypes are JUST that. Stereotypes.

So no, Jersey is nothing like those dumb tv shows.

Old 12-06-2009, 10:07 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,040,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRiss7383 View Post
Hi, I am from Denver and have also lived in the south, Pacific Northwest, and the midwest. I've not spent much time in the Northeast and I've never been to New Jersey. I have seen some of these shows on TV that portray Jersey negatively and I wanted to hear from some people about what's real and what's not. Are a lot of people in New Jersey like the stereotype? I lived in the south and some people fit the sterotype. Do other people look down on people like those in Jersey Shore?
it seems that every couple of months, an out-of-stater such as yourself decides to create a thread on the nj forum asking whether the jersey stereotypes are true:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...about-new.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-horrible.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-jersey.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...brash-new.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...g-laughed.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...eotype-nj.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-areas-nj.html

virtually every time, it's a thinly-veiled attempt by a troll to bash the state and whip up a frenzy of angry, defensive responses. because nj has a(n) (undeservedly) poor reputation nationally, outsiders seem to revel in picking on the state's residents - even in person, as recounted by some of the nj forum regulars:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...t-staters.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...onal-view.html

at the risk of coming across as a stereotypically boorish and crass native new jerseyan, i hope you're one of the few non-trolls who sincerely wants to learn more about the state and isn't just trying to stir up a war of words. i mean, every time i see a post like this, i can't help but shake my head and ask, "do we really need to address this topic yet again?"

believe me, constantly having to defend your state (even if you no longer live there) gets really tiresome. past and present new jerseyans always have to justify their choice of residence to outsiders.

but whatever; i'm going to assume you're really interested in learning more about the state's allegedly colorful denizens. so to answer your question:

-yes, there are some people in nj who match the negative stereotypes.

-no, they do not comprise the majority of the state's residents. in fact, most of us who have spent a significant portion of time in the garden state are embarrassed by that type of behavior.

the truth is, we mock people like that; we don't emulate them. don't get me wrong - trashy and low class people exist everywhere, and nj is no exception. but they are far from the norm. and the ones you see on tv are walking stereotypes who exhibit the most extreme, obnoxious behavior - that's why they're on tv!

-something else most of the country does not realize: nj is overwhelmingly suburban, and actually has its fair share of rural areas in the western fringes and southern portion of the state. believe it or not, nj has farms, woods, hills, mountains, lakes, and oceanfront beaches. the great majority of the state is not a toxic, industrial wasteland filled with uneducated, low-class loudmouths.

i'll be the first to admit that overdevelopment is a problem in nj, but it's more along the lines of suburban sprawl (i.e. too many malls and suburban tract housing developments) rather than the miles and miles of smokestacks that outsiders seem to envision.

-because the state is so suburban, and because virtually all of the state is within commuting distance of either nyc or philly (or both, if you live in central jersey), the typical new jerseyan is a well-educated, middle-to-upper-middle class soccer mom and/or white collar office worker who lives in a pleasant, leafy suburban town with schools that are far better than the national average. malls and diners are a big part of the local culture, and there are plenty of quaint, attractive downtown areas as well.

for the most part, new jerseyans' interests are pretty typical: going into "the city" (either nyc or philly) for dining, shopping, nightlife, sporting events, museums, and other entertainment; hanging out down the shore; hiking in the mountains; going to the mall; supporting their local high school's football team on friday nights; and so on and so forth. you know, stuff that suburbanites around the nation enjoy.

-you (and most of the country) may not realize this, but almost everyone on the most recent show to come out on mtv, "jersey shore", is actually not from nj. most new jerseyans are repulsed by shows like that which appeal to the lowest common denominator by putting the trashiest, most stereotypical folks on display.

sadly, the women on "real housewives of nj" are in fact new jerseyans, but as mentioned, they're only one element of a very diverse state populace. can you imagine if mtv had gotten a more typical new jersey family for its shows? somehow, i think the claims adjuster, his financial advisor wife, and their honor student kids would be way too stable and boring for trash tv like "real housewives" or "jersey shore".

Quote:
Is there a prejudice against Italian Americans in Jersey?
no, there isn't. italian-americans comprise a huge portion of the state's population (larger than any other ethnic group, i believe) and thus are very much part of the mainstream. the majority of italian-americans in the state don't match the stereotype; there are plenty of successful, well-educated, and articulate doctors, CEOs, engineers, entrepreneurs, investment bankers, professors, and so forth who happen to be of italian descent and live in nj. i don't know why that's surprising to outsiders, but apparently it is.

and then there are those italian-americans who match the so-called "guido" and/or mafia stereotypes - usually from lower middle income/working class backgrounds along with some nouveau riche types. but for some reason, outsiders seem to regard these idiots as representative of italian-americans and/or new jerseyans as a whole.

here's the thing, though:
in nj, there definitely is a prejudice against crass, disrespectful idiots of all backgrounds, italian or otherwise. most people around the country don't seem to realize that a lot of these clowns are actually not of italian descent. being a guido is more about adhering to a certain type of loudmouthed, cocky, low-class, vain, materialistic mentality and lifestyle, rather than something inherent in the culture of italian-americans, the state of nj, or the greater nyc metropolitan area.

but i guess the "dumb italian guido/wannabe mobster" stereotype sells, because it allows the rest of the country to have a laugh at new jersey's expense.

again, these folks are hardly limited to nj, but outsiders don't seem to realize this.

Quote:
I have no concept of what it must be like....
well, you're not going to find out what nj is really like by watching trash tv or listening to a bunch of people on an internet forum. the best way to learn about any area is to actually see it for yourself. drive around, get off of the busy interstate highways (which tend to be where nj's infamous industrial areas are located), and instead spend a day or two checking out the back roads and small towns that are REALLY representative of the state.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:06 PM

36 posts, read 157,782 times
Having been born and raised in NJ and lived there til I was 19, I have some lasting impressions about the state. One I will share is that people from Jersey are definitely "in your face" much more during the daily routine than say, Californians, or folks from the Mid-West. "In your face" not in a bad intention kind of way, but in a direct, matter-of-fact manner. Being from Jersey has given me an ability to deal with situations confidently, and to not take too much gruff from people when they are dishing it out. I'll take a person from NJ telling me to my face exactly what he thinks any day over someone from somewhere else who says "have a nice day" when what they really want to say is GFY.

People from Jersey physically stand closer to you when they talk to you... maybe it all comes from living in the most densely populated state in the union... but when you put a Jerseyite in front of a Californian, the Californian is backing up during the entire conversation!

Sometimes, Jerseyites will sound like they are arguing or mad ... "Hey, who died and left you boss?"... "You got a problem with that?"... but they are just kidding around or actually being friendly or having a good time. Maybe they are deadly serious, but the comment isn't meant as a deep insult, just an exchange of thoughts. Trouble is, when others don't understand that type of interaction and get disturbed or intimidated by it.

Everything in Jersey is faster than most places. There isn't a lot of time to mess around, with excuses, with BS, with niceties. This is reflected in everything from driving ("if you wanna make it you gotta take it") to business dealings to ordering food to giving directions. People talk faster... "Did you eat?" becomes "Jeet?".

I loved the pace, but it does tend to wear on folks who are not familiar with it. And from what I have learned in life, you can't take the Jersey out of the boy, not matter how hard you try. So don't. Enjoy it for what it is. That's what I do.

Old 12-06-2009, 11:44 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,930,177 times
Depending on what circles you travel in there may be some bias against the "in your face types". They could be of more than one ethnicity not just Italian or even European. Not everyone loves spicy expressive people even in NJ.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:01 AM

226 posts, read 860,054 times
Default Fabulous post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
it seems that every couple of months, an out-of-stater such as yourself decides to create a thread on the nj forum asking whether the jersey stereotypes are true:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...about-new.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-horrible.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...ew-jersey.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...brash-new.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...g-laughed.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...eotype-nj.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...-areas-nj.html

virtually every time, it's a thinly-veiled attempt by a troll to bash the state and whip up a frenzy of angry, defensive responses. because nj has a(n) (undeservedly) poor reputation nationally, outsiders seem to revel in picking on the state's residents - even in person, as recounted by some of the nj forum regulars:

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-j...onal-view.html

at the risk of coming across as a stereotypically boorish and crass native new jerseyan, i hope you're one of the few non-trolls who sincerely wants to learn more about the state and isn't just trying to stir up a war of words. i mean, every time i see a post like this, i can't help but shake my head and ask, "do we really need to address this topic yet again?"

believe me, constantly having to defend your state (even if you no longer live there) gets really tiresome. past and present new jerseyans always have to justify their choice of residence to outsiders.

but whatever; i'm going to assume you're really interested in learning more about the state's allegedly colorful denizens. so to answer your question:

-yes, there are some people in nj who match the negative stereotypes.

-no, they do not comprise the majority of the state's residents. in fact, most of us who have spent a significant portion of time in the garden state are embarrassed by that type of behavior.

the truth is, we mock people like that; we don't emulate them. don't get me wrong - trashy and low class people exist everywhere, and nj is no exception. but they are far from the norm. and the ones you see on tv are walking stereotypes who exhibit the most extreme, obnoxious behavior - that's why they're on tv!

-something else most of the country does not realize: nj is overwhelmingly suburban, and actually has its fair share of rural areas in the western fringes and southern portion of the state. believe it or not, nj has farms, woods, hills, mountains, lakes, and oceanfront beaches. the great majority of the state is not a toxic, industrial wasteland filled with uneducated, low-class loudmouths.

i'll be the first to admit that overdevelopment is a problem in nj, but it's more along the lines of suburban sprawl (i.e. too many malls and suburban tract housing developments) rather than the miles and miles of smokestacks that outsiders seem to envision.

-because the state is so suburban, and because virtually all of the state is within commuting distance of either nyc or philly (or both, if you live in central jersey), the typical new jerseyan is a well-educated, middle-to-upper-middle class soccer mom and/or white collar office worker who lives in a pleasant, leafy suburban town with schools that are far better than the national average. malls and diners are a big part of the local culture, and there are plenty of quaint, attractive downtown areas as well.

for the most part, new jerseyans' interests are pretty typical: going into "the city" (either nyc or philly) for dining, shopping, nightlife, sporting events, museums, and other entertainment; hanging out down the shore; hiking in the mountains; going to the mall; supporting their local high school's football team on friday nights; and so on and so forth. you know, stuff that suburbanites around the nation enjoy.

-you (and most of the country) may not realize this, but almost everyone on the most recent show to come out on mtv, "jersey shore", is actually not from nj. most new jerseyans are repulsed by shows like that which appeal to the lowest common denominator by putting the trashiest, most stereotypical folks on display.

sadly, the women on "real housewives of nj" are in fact new jerseyans, but as mentioned, they're only one element of a very diverse state populace. can you imagine if mtv had gotten a more typical new jersey family for its shows? somehow, i think the claims adjuster, his financial advisor wife, and their honor student kids would be way too stable and boring for trash tv like "real housewives" or "jersey shore".

no, there isn't. italian-americans comprise a huge portion of the state's population (larger than any other ethnic group, i believe) and thus are very much part of the mainstream. the majority of italian-americans in the state don't match the stereotype; there are plenty of successful, well-educated, and articulate doctors, CEOs, engineers, entrepreneurs, investment bankers, professors, and so forth who happen to be of italian descent and live in nj. i don't know why that's surprising to outsiders, but apparently it is.

and then there are those italian-americans who match the so-called "guido" and/or mafia stereotypes - usually from lower middle income/working class backgrounds along with some nouveau riche types. but for some reason, outsiders seem to regard these idiots as representative of italian-americans and/or new jerseyans as a whole.

here's the thing, though:
in nj, there definitely is a prejudice against crass, disrespectful idiots of all backgrounds, italian or otherwise. most people around the country don't seem to realize that a lot of these clowns are actually not of italian descent. being a guido is more about adhering to a certain type of loudmouthed, cocky, low-class, vain, materialistic mentality and lifestyle, rather than something inherent in the culture of italian-americans, the state of nj, or the greater nyc metropolitan area.

but i guess the "dumb italian guido/wannabe mobster" stereotype sells, because it allows the rest of the country to have a laugh at new jersey's expense.

again, these folks are hardly limited to nj, but outsiders don't seem to realize this.

well, you're not going to find out what nj is really like by watching trash tv or listening to a bunch of people on an internet forum. the best way to learn about any area is to actually see it for yourself. drive around, get off of the busy interstate highways (which tend to be where nj's infamous industrial areas are located), and instead spend a day or two checking out the back roads and small towns that are REALLY representative of the state.
I've lived here almost six years and have yet to meet anyone even remotely like the MTV Jersey Shore characters.

Old 12-07-2009, 07:39 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,747,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screeno View Post
. . . People talk faster... "Did you eat?" becomes "Jeet?". . . .
Never thought about it, but I do talk like this!

"jeet?" (did you eat?)

"no, jew?" (no, did you?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey