Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:46 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,321,532 times

Advertisements

Just amazing the warped pride of LI'ers. Take a look at this site that disses NJ:
KeepItOnLongIsland.org (http://www.kioli.org/cafe/whyli/ - broken link)

Well I got a whole list of reasons why NJ is better than LI, waayyy betta!
1.NJ's Pine Barrens are at least 10 times larger than LI's.
2. NJ's transportation network makes LI's look like it's in Tijuana
3.NJ's malls...well there's just no comparison on LI
4. Bon Jovi and Bruce Springsteen know how to rock...Billy Joel..not so much
5. NJ has observation decks and fire towers, LI..not really
6. Permits are not needed to access NJ parkland, on LI, there's more restrictions
7. The Power is reliable in NJ, on LI, power outages and sky high rates are the rule
8. The chicks in NJ are hotter, LI chicks are too lazy and fat (dont believe me, just take any LIRR into NYC on a Saturday night).
9. Atlantic White Cedar...common in NJ, rare on LI
10. NJ drivers are fast, LI drivers are slowpokes

Want more reasons why NJ is better?
Ocean County NJ Parks and Recreation
http://www.planning.co.ocean.nj.us/na (broken link)...
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandfo (broken link)...
New Jersey Transit - Home
Freehold Raceway Mall | Home -
Westfield Garden State Plaza Shopping Mall - Home - Westfield Gardenstateplaza
The Mall at Short Hills

Also watch a video I put together. Even though you have problems, trust me, New York is in way worse shape, in every way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCiLhh98XrM

I also want to add that NJ has loads of Shoprites, on LI, we only have 3.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 01:04 AM

5,771 posts, read 16,584,927 times
I've lived in both and just naturally prefer being on the mainland of the North American continent. One of the things that bug me about LI is being stuck on this island where the only way out is to race westward through heavily trafficed roads and escape via NYC, and every morning there's this big race to get off LI before all the roads get jammed.

The mainland of the US is much more peaceful not having to deal with any of that nonsense.
Others who have escaped LI say things like it's 10 lbs of "you know what" in a 5 lb bag, meaning too crowded and jammed.

Old 12-09-2009, 01:49 AM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Poor Long Island.
They feel the need to gain relevance by creating a beef with New Jersey.
The problem is.................... NJ does not care about LI at all. Not even one bit. It could fall off the map & NJ would shrug its collective shoulders & move on like nothing happened.

New Jersey does not even have the energy for witty jokes or clever remarks. You mean that little to us Long Island.
Sorry...................................... Try Connecticut.

Old 12-09-2009, 04:26 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Well, New Jersey has a lot more to offer, although it's not really fair to compare NJ and Long Island, as one is a state and one is a small part of a state.

If it came down to "where would you rather live" though, I'd choose New Jersey (even North Jersey over the immediate NYC/LI area). Long Island seems even more congested and obsessed with the rat race mentality, the traffic is mindboggling, and I would really rather not be a part of New York (state) as it means your interests are essentially dictated by NYC and the downstate Albany area, which is one of the most politically screwed up regions in the country.

Old 12-09-2009, 07:11 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times
One more reason why NJ is better than LI: we don't rely on a NewsRag for finding out about the latest murder, pedophile, car accident, ethnic discrimination or school politic Mod cut that seems to show up in the paper on a daily, if not hourly basis (online edition).

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-09-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: language

Old 12-09-2009, 08:53 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times
"Jug Handles: if you pass your exit it’s another 19 miles to turn around"

We got them! I just love the thought of irate LIers driving around because they missed a jughandle. Even better when they're hanging to the right waiting for the next one and there's a left turn.

We don't just have jughandles, we use them. In South Jersey there's a bar called the Jughandle and there's a funeral home on the land in the middle of one of them.

I hope that LI doesn't sink into the ocean. People there might then consider moving to NJ :::gasp::: and trying to make it over into another LI.

Old 12-09-2009, 11:06 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,365,864 times
Having lived in both, LI , Most of my life, NJ , 13 Years, I'll say its a toss-up. IN LI I lived in Lawrence, Mt Sinai, and Babylon in that order. I really liked Mt Sinai the best but the commute into NYC was a killer. In NJ I lived in Manalapan.
LI Has higher taxes though, but NJ is catching up. LI only charges for parking at the Beaches, but admission is free. Town Residents get a pass for summer for about $25. I had a pass when I lived in Mt Sinai, and in Babylon. In Lawrence the beach I went to was reserved for residents only, as land was donated to community. In NJ you have to pay per person.
LI is a dead end, it takes longer to travel to places as you must pass thru NYC, unless you ferry to Conn.
NJ is accessable but to crowded roads because there is just to many people in that much space.
Both , You get less house for your money. Something that is $400k here would be a Mil in NJ, and even more on LI.
People are in a rush in both places, and sometimes quite rude.
I'm sure the areas in NJ furthur from NYC are more calm, as they are on LI.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:54 AM

Default To Me It Seems

Well it seems that people who have grown up in LI are used to it, but to me , being from the mainland, I get this anxiety when I'm out there of "When can I get off and back to the mainland?"

People I know who live out in LI are used to it since it's normal to their life experience but, and I don't get bugged by much of anything, LI bugs me that way, that I'm always looking to get back outathere.

I'm just more at home being back on the Earth than stuck on a crowded island.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:31 AM

2,705 posts, read 8,270,762 times
Oh man, NJ is so much better than Long Island.

I'm out on Long Island frequently for work, and I have a lot of family that lives out there.

It's so isolated.

Most people you encounter from Long Island have that accent, yes that accent..."New Yawk". And the traffic is a sin out there....you literally always hit it any time you're out there.

Coincidentally, NJ gets bashed by people for accents and traffic, but to anybody who knows the 2 areas well (Like me ) Long Island is so much more notorious for those 2 things.

Old 12-10-2009, 07:53 PM

I agree with the above, definitely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey