Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 07:23 PM

132 posts, read 520,526 times

Advertisements

I still think a much bigger problem is bullies that torment so many kids and make school a living hell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 12:32 PM

18 posts, read 138,457 times
Default Half and Half

Hi. Yes, there is a cause for concern with gangs in NJ... but isn't Brick, NJ the safest town in America or something like that?? I would not worry about it. Lots of schools are doing workshops in school regarding gangs just so people are aware that it does exist. You live in a nice suburban area... not Paterson, Newark, or Camden. Most of the "gangs" in your area are little a$$shole punks who are trying to be tough and cool. These are just typical bullies with a scarier name?

Old 07-05-2007, 09:28 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Do your online research, there is more gang activity in NJ than we realize. Statistically, we have approx. 35,000 gang members all over this state and the number is growing.

Whether or not it is in your community currently, the best thing you can do is be wise to possibility of it. Should we live in fear? Even though that's hard, No. But you can stay educated. Just because you live in a nice area doesn't mean there aren't members selected to target those areas somehow. Keep in mind, 40-50 years ago, Newark was a nice area too.

Lastly, someone made a comment about "wanna-be's". I'm sure there are plenty of those, however, it doesn't mean they're not dangerous.

Old 07-06-2007, 05:02 AM

2,881 posts, read 6,089,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
Do your online research, there is more gang activity in NJ than we realize. Statistically, we have approx. 35,000 gang members all over this state and the number is growing.

Whether or not it is in your community currently, the best thing you can do is be wise to possibility of it. Should we live in fear? Even though that's hard, No. But you can stay educated. Just because you live in a nice area doesn't mean there aren't members selected to target those areas somehow. Keep in mind, 40-50 years ago, Newark was a nice area too.

Lastly, someone made a comment about "wanna-be's". I'm sure there are plenty of those, however, it doesn't mean they're not dangerous.
I think it really depends on your definition of dangerous. Because a lot of these kids who want to be ghetto scatter when the real *ish hits the fan. On the other hand you have kids who will stop at nothing to prove just how 'gangsta' they really are. I think that just because a kid wears colors it doesn't make him a gangsta as much as he'd want you to believe it. Strangely enough, I think these 'wannabees' can be salvaged because a lot of them don't do it because it's their environment, they do it because they think its 'cool'

Old 07-06-2007, 10:36 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
I agree, to a degree. It's definitely becoming a "trend". Don't ask me why because I can't even fathom the idea of that being trendy, but hey, that's me.

However, even with the "trend", we still have to be careful because you do hear about these kids jumping kids in school, beating up elderly women/men, robbing stores, pushing drugs, stealing bikes, whatever. Crime is crime and like you said, unfortunately even the unofficial ones will go out on a limb to prove themselves.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:30 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,799,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatelynNJ View Post
Most of the "gangs" in your area are little a$$shole punks who are trying to be tough and cool. These are just typical bullies with a scarier name?
Yeah, sure. Go say that to a gang of "wannabe's" on some corner in Newark. In fact any city will do. You will end up like that stupid women in NYC who was getting mugged and said "What are you going to do. Shoot me?". You know what happened. Gangs are gangs no matter which way you put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo View Post
More then that, those are just gang members that admited to being in a gang when locked up. There are more. Many more.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:32 PM

72 posts, read 326,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kort677 View Post
I see that you're in denial, I saw your other post touting the boro, either you are blind, foolish or peddling real estate. There are many issues in the boro, it has many low income types, illegals and other crime problems. Why anyone would choose to live there when they could go 1 mile in any direction and be able to avoid all the crap associated with the boro is beyond me
I live here and work as an attorney in the boro (where I was recently the municipal public defender, so I have some insight on the crime that occurs here). You, on the other hand, are living in Fla, or the A. Highlands. You are not exactly near the boro, and only know what you hear. I'm just a little sick of the exaggerations, hence the reason I posted on this and the other thread.

Do you really think that there are gangs in the boro? Or is that something that you want to believe? (that was rhetorical, no need to answer)

Old 07-06-2007, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustla718 View Post
Yeah, sure. Go say that to a gang of "wannabe's" on some corner in Newark. In fact any city will do. You will end up like that stupid women in NYC who was getting mugged and said "What are you going to do. Shoot me?". You know what happened. Gangs are gangs no matter which way you put it.

More then that, those are just gang members that admited to being in a gang when locked up. There are more. Many more.
katelyn already acknowledged NJs 3 largest cities with gang problems. It's the suburbs that have most of the infamous 'wannabees'. A Livingston, NJ gang (if there is such a thing) just isn't the same as a Newark gang. A lot of inner city kids join gangs for protection, status, and gain whereas a lot of middle-class suburban gangs exist because it's just the hot thing to do as stated by pixieshmoo

Old 07-06-2007, 07:53 PM

3,269 posts, read 9,935,547 times
From The New York Times

By ANNIE CORREAL
Published: July 1, 2007
Gangs, Too, Flee Cities for the Suburbs

Moderator cut: copyright

LINK

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 02:57 AM..

Old 07-06-2007, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOK View Post
From The New York Times

By ANNIE CORREAL
I have a question about this. If the gangs that aren't commiting crimes are present, how can law enforcement tell? Not for nothing, but the Bloods gang is not a super-structure in the nation based on heirarchy. There are numerous sub-divisions with their own infrastructure that have their own leaders and do not answer to a single leader.
There is no doubt gang-presence in the suburbs, but these same areas are also saturated with self-proclaimed 'gangstas' that practice the same things
There's an article in New Jersey mag about gang recruiting moving to the suburbs. This is by all means unacceptable and I still think the suburban kids who need SO bad to be ghetto can be salvaged/saved. We have to teach these kids that 'gangdom' isn't an ascension but a descent into an oblivion with unwanted consequence
As earlier stated, a 'wanksta' can be more dangerous than a full-up gang-member on the mere fact that the wansksta has much more to prove.

Last edited by Marka; 12-19-2007 at 02:57 AM.. Reason: edited quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey