Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2010, 01:01 AM

9 posts, read 33,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPerone201 View Post
I live in Hackensack, I go to the public high school in Hackensack, and I eat lunch in the worst section of Hackensack.

Trust me, if someone believes Hackensack is bad then it most likely has to do with that persons views on the racial make-up of the cities population. I just can't see any other reason because the cities crime rates are lower than national average in Hackensack, and it's even lower in Teaneck and Englewood...Now don't get me wrong; Hackensack isn't perfect, and it has some issues (especially when it comes to the use and selling of drugs in some sections) but it's nothing to an extreme for people to all out slander the city; The sections with issues are very avoidable. There's parts of Hackensack that look like Ridgewood (Summit ave/Spring Valley Ave), and there's tons of sections where the average middle class white family could live harmoniously.

Hackensack eats a lot of harsh stereotypes, but it's honestly no worst than Montclair.
lol let me guess you eat lunch at the mcdonalds near the hospital and projects
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2010, 05:48 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktrist View Post
My opinion for those three is teaneack looks like a surburban town but who knows I know barely anything bout it,but the other two I know alot about for hackensack if have a friend who lives there he said he'd get shot on the towns main street which is bull**** cuz my dad works at hackensack hospital and I go there all the time its generally nice except a small area near mcdonalds and near the hospital but on the bottom of the hill which is red colored projects and as for englewood its a nice town with mostly rich people but its problem is theives from NYC come there and steal stuff and ruin the town but it has a very good police force which is the 2nd most payed police force in NJ but basically what I'm saying is they're not perfect and as good towns as glen rock and ridgewood(richwood) but aren't half as bad as nearby towns like paterson, jersey city, passaic (not that bad), haledon(same as paterson but different from its suburb town north haledon which is very safe), ghetto newark, and the town with the worst crime rate in NJ Irvington(if ur white stay away from it they'll see as fresh white meat)
Longest. Sentence. Ever.

Old 04-26-2010, 05:52 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,042 times
Englewood is on the rise, steadily. Take a ride down Engle/Dean and the main strip and see all the beautiful high-end stores- I wouldn't mind moving to Englewood, or Englewood Cliffs. Like every town it has its bad areas, but the good areas are definitely taking over. Lots of doctors, lawyers, and business offices in the business district of Englewood. Then there is Englewood Hospital also.

Teaneck is a nice town- there's a bad area and there is an expensive area. I believe there are about 3 synagogues in Teaneck which is in a more quiet, Jewish area. Sadly, two young men were recently murdered in this area. They believe it was a random act of crime and it was a mob hit, but who knows. Scary. The two that were murdered were from Queens so it appeared the bodies were driven to that location and left ... It was the first violent crime on that side of Teaneck in many years. Now, the other side of Teaneck, I wouldn't walk about freely after it gets dark.

I haven't read all the comments here, however, honestly, if you're looking to move, I'd cross Teaneck off the list.

Hackensack isn't bad- The Prospect Avenue and Summit Avenue/ Maywood border are the nicest areas.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
Now, the other side of Teaneck, I wouldn't walk about freely after it gets dark.

I haven't read all the comments here, however, honestly, if you're looking to move, I'd cross Teaneck off the list.
You really wouldn't walk around Teaneck at night? Really?
You people are insane.

Old 04-26-2010, 06:58 PM

1,602 posts, read 4,159,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openheads View Post
You really wouldn't walk around Teaneck at night? Really?

You people are insane.

It would depend on the section of Teaneck. By the Armory, not at all. It's not a safe area at all. A friend of mine was on Cedar Lane a few years ago with his girlfriend, a white couple, and he was attacked by a gang of kids who beat him as they called him cracker. Horrible. He made it through, but was in the hospital for weeks. They never caught the kids, but the cops said they have an issue with "hate crime". You have to be smart about the areas you choose to move to. We all don't want to think about those things, but they are reality ...

Cedar Lane isn't even a bad area, the incident happen close to the hospital and across from the police station, but living where I live, Tenafly, when I hear stories like that, I get nervous ... Perhaps I'm sheltered, I don't know. I don't want to be, but I don't want to be a victim either. Again, it's reality.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImCurlybelle View Post
It would depend on the section of Teaneck. By the Armory, not at all. It's not a safe area at all.

Perhaps I'm sheltered, I don't know. I don't want to be, but I don't want to be a victim either. Again, it's reality.
There is no perhaps about it...................

Nowhere in Teaneck is "BAD". It's crime rate is below the state average & well below the national average.
The thought of being scared in Teaneck is beyond comprehension & makes me sad.
I know why you think the area around the armory is "BAD". You fill in the blanks.

Old 04-27-2010, 12:58 PM

54 posts, read 265,454 times
i live in hackensack, well, i think i live in the good area, near prospect ave.

I have gone to so called "bad areas" of hackensack, such as "mcdonalds near the hospital and projects". It's not bad at all.

since i have been here one year ago. I haven't yet seen any issues.

If you look at house prices, hackensack, englewood and tenant have the lowest prices compare to others.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:50 AM

1 posts, read 6,838 times
their not bad, camden is bad, newark is bad, pleasantville is bad.....there are no murdes or stuff like that...you can walk the streets and not be afraid...its not like alantic city or anything...hackensack, englewood, teaneck are not dangerous places.....newark is dangerous....on a scale of 1-10 teaneck, hackensack, and englewoods danger i rank 1......and thats the god honest truth.

Old 08-26-2010, 09:47 PM

334 posts, read 731,600 times
I work in Teaneck. I'd have not problem walking the streets there. The area immediately surrounding the Armory isn't bad at all...a little rough around the edges, but I wouldn't consider it dangerous.

Old 08-31-2010, 11:23 PM

286 posts, read 851,090 times
Teaneck bad? I go to church in Teaneck near the tracks in a predominantly Jewish area. It is very safe. My son went to school near the church. I wouldn't mind living in Teaneck if I could. My wife's friend also live in Teaneck and there are really nice houses there. The schools are pretty good.

Hackensack has its bad areas, but it is nowhere as bad as Irvington or Newark. Overall hackensack isn't bad, it just has a mostly working class demographic which people unfairly assume means bad.

Englewood has a mixture of really nice areas and some not so nice. But overall, it's safe as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey