Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:50 AM

23,299 posts, read 16,980,838 times

Advertisements

"I know some of you are going to be like "it's your attitude or how you come off""

Agree with your pre-judged prediction of how folks will respond to how you present yourself. You're on to something!
Merry Christmas!

"I know...
I know for a fact....
I know some of you are going to be like...
I can seriously feel the vibe...
They act funny...
you can see it in their face...
they don't like you...
friendly as hell...
take back that statement, man, for your own good"

Old 12-14-2009, 07:32 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,736,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angerinthenation View Post
LMAO! I think you should take back that statement, man, for your own good. Which section of Newark do you live if you live there?
I regret posting on this thread. It's only purpose is to spread hate. IMO

Last edited by bryson662001; 12-14-2009 at 08:52 AM.. Reason: No comments on moderator actions, past, present or future, per TOS.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:22 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergenCountyJohnny View Post
Why not live somewhere better, then? Like Tennessee or Minnesota. I have heard that in every other state in the nation when a black person goes into any town that has non-black people, the non-black people not only don't give off a racist vibe, but they will offer the black person homemade cookies and yummy juice, and often they also invite them over for dinner. In Jersey they will just give you a vibe with their racist faces, though. Only in Jersey, really.

great post, love it!!!

Old 12-14-2009, 08:35 AM

341 posts, read 676,224 times
You are correct angerinthenation: Racism is alive and well in Jersey. After I read your original post and before I scrolled down to see the responses, I paused and correctly predicted what I was going to read. I knew I was going to read posts claiming that racism is not unique to NJ, and that's fine, but that really has no bearing on the premise of this thread; just my observation. People always get extremely sensitive and guilty when the "R" word is mentioned. For example, when threads are started concerning other problems in Jersey you don't see people post replies like, "Those problems are everywhere, not just here in NJ, what is your point?"

I have noticed that there is a bit more concern about race here on the Jersey forum, especially when it comes to the "Seeking a nice area to relocate" threads. There are countless threads started by people looking for a place to live, there are a few everyday. They are almost always started by new members and after they receive their answers they almost always never post again. My first beef with this is that they seem to ignore the advice which suggests that one search the forum first before posting to see if a similar thread has not been started recently. Anyone can see that this advice is not being followed by doing a quick perusal of the Jersey threads. The NJ forum is chock full of the same type threads, asking for a nice area close to NY. Asking for a nice area within an hours commute from NY. Asking for a nice area near NYC. Asking about the existence of a safe area near the city. Asking........ Asking...... Asking..... about a nice area near Manhattan, asking about a nice.... etc. There has got to be a least a hundred threads asking the same thing on the NJ forum.

Then you get the thread asking about a certain area, specifically if it is close to public transportation. Then someone will come along and inject race into the thread when the OP never even raised the question of race. The blatant racism on the NJ forum is astounding. Yesterday I read a thread where one poster answered a question about a town by stating that the town in question is nice and has a low crime rate but there are just too many Hispanics.

If this forum is any indication, then maybe angerinthenation is onto something. Maybe racism is more prevelant in Jersey.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:19 PM

9,328 posts, read 20,663,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EB2 View Post
Was about to say the exact same thing. Almost anywhere, not even just the US, is going to have some sort of racism and/or hate.
This simple post is the best one of the entire thread. As long as man walks the face of the earth, there will be discrimination of one sort or another, because man is imperfect. But the trend seems to be striving for perfection. Man is an innately discriminatory creature. And it's not localized to New Jersey, the notion of this is frankly asinine. It's in all 50 states, and it's not specific to one race of people either. When our nation grows up an accepts this, then people of all races just shrug it off, and proceed forward, then we'll really turn a corner. There has never really been a nation like this in world history, with so many divergent faiths and creeds, living amongst each other, and the fact that we are relatively successful on a global level is a testament to our society, rather than a detriment. We should celebrate this relative success, rather than continuously rail against ourselves in the critical manner so many do.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:33 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,456,843 times
Lets face it - racism exists - both ways - in NJ they are more honest about their feelings - in other parts of the country they hide it.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:58 PM

137 posts, read 521,000 times
I don't find previous posters' sacarsm amusing. I'll just have to assume that they never experience those treatments and therefore they never understand.

I am an Asian and I got those hateful racist stares in NJ; I was completely ignored by the lady behind the deli counter when I was buying lunch (several times in different places); and sometimes white ladies cut me in line as if they don't see me. Another Asian lady told me similar experience - waitress seated other people first although she was there first. The usual offenders were white females, young and old. (But, I don't dislike white females despite of that, because I've met a hundred more nice white ladies in this state.)

I did (naturally) get upset for a few minutes but afterwards I was fine. There is no need to be upset/angry for these prideful ignorant fools. Focus on those who love you - they are worth much more attention than these uncivilized ignorant fools. I told myself that "these people mean nothing to me" and their senseless hatred is like barks from a rabid animal - should their barks upset you? Absolutely not.

Good luck to you, OP.

Last edited by lwnj; 12-15-2009 at 12:27 AM..

Old 12-15-2009, 01:04 AM

728 posts, read 1,955,742 times
Unfortunately Racism is everywhere, some of it is justified and some of it is not.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:11 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,918,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dakar View Post
I knew I was going to read posts claiming that racism is not unique to NJ, and that's fine, but that really has no bearing on the premise of this thread; just my observation. People always get extremely sensitive and guilty when the "R" word is mentioned. For example, when threads are started concerning other problems in Jersey you don't see people post replies like, "Those problems are everywhere, not just here in NJ, what is your point?"

If this forum is any indication, then maybe angerinthenation is onto something. Maybe racism is more prevelant in Jersey.
The fact that someone can trivialize something like this by considering it a "local" issue is beyond ridiculous and just plain ignorant. Everyone has their prejudices and that will never change but this is just a warped way to discuss race/isms in America.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:14 AM

728 posts, read 1,955,742 times
There are just hateful people who just hate someone because they are black and for no reason and that is horrible. A lot of the racism in Jersey though stems from what people see. I know there are many crazy white people out there who do sick things but the fact is in Jersey most gun violence is caused by African Americans in urban areas. It gives a bad stigma to them and makes the rest of them suffer from racism. Also people say how Asian people have just come to this country and they are already sucessful while a lot of african americans sit on welfare in Newark sucking the tax dollars out of the county. I understand why there is racism from that angle but people need to understand that most African Americans are good hardworking people like the rest of us and are not violent. I personally feel bad for people who suffer from stigmas they do not deserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey