Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 PM

3 posts, read 5,623 times

Advertisements

Friends - I am soon re-locating from Atlanta to New York. My job is in New york manhattan. (Near Canal Street subway)
Appreciate if anyone can provide me right information. My priorities are:

1. I am looking for a 1 bed room Apt.
2. I have a kid (3 years), who needs to go to a Pre School
3. I want travel time , should be less than 1 hour
4. Rent - I am looking for a range that is < 1000 USD or, Free Car Parking?
5. What are the best options available for me to commute to NY?
6. Can I drive my Car to a nearest location (free parking or with minimal parking fee) and then use NY Subway.. or options like that..
7. Short term lease is necessary, at least 3 months and above
8. Nearest Indian Stores for Groc...n veg..

Pls tell me name of some good appartments so that I can narrow down my search (walkable to school and train stations)

I just heard of places like Edison, Metro Park, Woodbridge, Mapplewood, Summit, millburn, Hoboken etc.

Thank you all again..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 10:43 PM

4,085 posts, read 8,788,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Atlanta2009 View Post
Friends - I am soon re-locating from Atlanta to New York. My job is in New york manhattan. (Near Canal Street subway)
Appreciate if anyone can provide me right information. My priorities are:

1. I am looking for a 1 bed room Apt.
2. I have a kid (3 years), who needs to go to a Pre School
3. I want travel time , should be less than 1 hour
4. Rent - I am looking for a range that is < 1000 USD or, Free Car Parking?
5. What are the best options available for me to commute to NY?
6. Can I drive my Car to a nearest location (free parking or with minimal parking fee) and then use NY Subway.. or options like that..
7. Short term lease is necessary, at least 3 months and above
8. Nearest Indian Stores for Groc...n veg..

Pls tell me name of some good appartments so that I can narrow down my search (walkable to school and train stations)

I just heard of places like Edison, Metro Park, Woodbridge, Mapplewood, Summit, millburn, Hoboken etc.

Thank you all again..
1. Plenty of 1 br apt's throughout NJ
2. Plenty of child care throughout NJ
3. The places you mentioned are really 1 hour or more commute time, except Hoboken, but throw out Hoboken because it will be more than 1000 for rent
4. Try Secaucus, Lyndhurst, Lodi, for close commute w/ rent in your price range and safe neighborhoods w/ parking
5. Best options for commute are train and bus
6. You can't drive your car to Manhattan without paying lots of money, more than it's worth. $8 for tunnel, and $50+ per day to park (no free parking or street parking for all day)
7. Don't know if you will find short term lease unless rent is considerably higher - someone else may know better than I
8. Indian groceries are in Jersey City, Teaneck, and I believe one in Lodi. Edison has a lot of them but it's farther from where I am recommending. If you don't mind a commute a little over an hour Edison would give you probably everything else you're looking for - price, parking, safe, probably even short-term lease, plus indian grocery stores. If not, you can go once every week or two to shop for your indian food needs.

Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:50 AM

5 posts, read 15,618 times
Edison, Iselin and Woodbridge are all great places to live and would have what you need - the parking lot a Metro Park train station gets full fast. Woodbridge is also a nice community - consider Fords as well (within easy reach of both train station stops).

Old 12-14-2009, 07:28 AM

1 posts, read 1,510 times
Jersey City is a great choice as well as far as ease of access to the City.

Old 12-14-2009, 10:53 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,752,199 times
Maywood has a large Indian population and plenty of little markets. I think Maywood/Rochelle Park/Hackensack might be good choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey