U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2009, 02:20 PM

66 posts, read 193,498 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone,

My wife is FINALLY graduating from Kean in May with her degree in Childhood Education/English. She will be certified to teach K-8th grade.

We have been waiting for this moment for years so she can finally start working.

My questions are where do we go to get her a job? Is it realistic for her to find a job and start teaching in September?

Any help or advice you cold give would be EXTREMELY helpful. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

249 posts, read 711,056 times
If she's willing to teach in an urban area of NJ her chances of finding a job will be significantly higher. If you are in the Kean area think Newark, Elizabeth, Hillside, Irvington, etc. She might want to start subbing right now so that she can get her foot in the door.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:36 PM

1,359 posts, read 2,942,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccnj View Post
If she's willing to teach in an urban area of NJ her chances of finding a job will be significantly higher. If you are in the Kean area think Newark, Elizabeth, Hillside, Irvington, etc. She might want to start subbing right now so that she can get her foot in the door.

Myth. They will be a little higher, but not a lot. I teach in an Abbott district. My school alone has about six aides, all looking for teaching jobs. Some are in their second year working as aides in the district because they haven't been able to get into a full-time teaching position in our district or any other districts.

OP, as has been discussed in other threads, getting a teaching job in NJ is notoriously difficult, especially in fields like elementary education. Your wife needs to start sending resumes out everywhere very soon. Subbing is a good idea, at least for the experience and a (tiny) bit of money, but it's not always a guarantee to a full-time job in the district where you're subbing.

Sure, your wife may find a job in September, but it's going to be tough. The wait may be much longer (maybe a few years). Plan for the worst, and then be pleasantly surprised whenever the good news comes. Good luck!

Old 12-14-2009, 05:55 PM

2,791 posts, read 10,206,282 times
unfortunately, it's who you know. My daughter had a student teacher last year and she was hired right away (started Sept 09). Subbing is a good start. Good luck to her!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:07 PM

19 posts, read 40,163 times
njhire.com lists all teaching jobs in nj

Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM

thanks for the help so far everyone!

The problem is I dont think financially we can afford for her to be an aid. How much do they can paid annually?

P.S. We live in Morris County.

Last edited by MattNJ; 12-14-2009 at 06:44 PM..

Old 12-15-2009, 07:01 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,720,107 times
Aides pay ten bucks an hour and it's usually not secure income (can be cut at any time).

I know in our town they are got 400 applications for an open spot for elementary that came up.

I would try Catholic schools too maybe (if she is Catholic). They pay less, but it could be a good start at least.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyshoes View Post
Aides pay ten bucks an hour and it's usually not secure income (can be cut at any time).

I know in our town they are got 400 applications for an open spot for elementary that came up.

I would try Catholic schools too maybe (if she is Catholic). They pay less, but it could be a good start at least.
Catholic school may be an option. She is catholic, but did not study religion at all in college. Would that matter?

Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 PM

8 posts, read 16,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattNJ View Post
Catholic school may be an option. She is catholic, but did not study religion at all in college. Would that matter?
It shouldn't. I attended Catholic school and had teachers (as well as classmates) who weren't Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey