Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 04:11 PM

16 posts, read 36,332 times

Advertisements

Would you buy above 550K home with no backyard space and not needed inground pool ? Plus street behind the home.

We own townhouse and want to upgrade to SF home in same town since we like the town , has excellent schools, good for commuting etc. We walked away from nice home because house had in-ground pool covering WHOLE backyard, basically no yard space left, no grass OR Deck space for kids to play. Also there was semi busy street (40 mph speed) behind the house with some buffer zone/trees. We could not see but hear the traffic. My spouse and other family members think this was big mistake since house had good upgrades and was in the area/development we are desperately looking where not many houses come on market. Any thaughts ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,259,034 times
You are the smart one. That house had the number one thing wrong with it, poor location. The sellers were smart too, they upgraded a crummy location because they know a lot of people will be impressed with upgrades and overlook the location.
Good for you.

Old 12-14-2009, 04:52 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,229,898 times
It's really easy to get rid of an in-ground pool. Fill it in with gravel, top with straw, bring in topsoil, plant sod. You'll also never have water problems...it's like a huge drywell.

Old 12-14-2009, 06:55 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyc_37 View Post
It's really easy to get rid of an in-ground pool. Fill it in with gravel, top with straw, bring in topsoil, plant sod. You'll also never have water problems...it's like a huge drywell.
I am so amazed at times and how much misguided information is given on these boards. Just please, make sure you get lots of opinions from many people before making a decision. There are tons of poor info posted here.

Removing a pool is not easy and can be costly. It all depends on how big the pool is, what type (vinyl or Gunite) is their a deck and other concrete on the exterior to remove. There may be a demolition permit required. You can literally be anywhere from $3500-$10,000.

Old 12-14-2009, 07:47 PM

4,282 posts, read 10,699,828 times
is it on a busy road? or near any parks/schools?

if it is i would go for it. I grew up with hardly any backyard, but right across the street from a school with basketball courts, a baseball field, and just open space. So all the kids just hung out there you know?

having a pool is very nice and I think a lot of people under rate it. If you like entertaining company, a pool is very fun.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:13 PM

2,705 posts, read 8,229,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
I am so amazed at times and how much misguided information is given on these boards. Just please, make sure you get lots of opinions from many people before making a decision. There are tons of poor info posted here.

Removing a pool is not easy and can be costly. It all depends on how big the pool is, what type (vinyl or Gunite) is their a deck and other concrete on the exterior to remove. There may be a demolition permit required. You can literally be anywhere from $3500-$10,000.
Re-read my post Mod cut. I didn't recommend or suggest *removing* the pool.

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-14-2009 at 08:19 PM.. Reason: No need to be rude. You can attack IDEAS but not the member.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 AM

1,235 posts, read 3,935,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichet View Post
Would you buy above 550K home with no backyard space and not needed inground pool ? Plus street behind the home.

We own townhouse and want to upgrade to SF home in same town since we like the town , has excellent schools, good for commuting etc. We walked away from nice home because house had in-ground pool covering WHOLE backyard, basically no yard space left, no grass OR Deck space for kids to play. Also there was semi busy street (40 mph speed) behind the house with some buffer zone/trees. We could not see but hear the traffic. My spouse and other family members think this was big mistake since house had good upgrades and was in the area/development we are desperately looking where not many houses come on market. Any thaughts ?
It depends. If you are planning on living there forever (or as long as possible, barring things you can't control) and if the house works for you, then sure, go for it.

If you are planning on reselling, I'm not sure pools are a plus in NJ real estate from what I hear. Some people love them of course, but a lot of people don't want the upkeep, expense or the safety issues. And of course, the season is so short for swimming relatively speaking.

Most important, if I were you, I would ask if you're ok paying for a house that has a pool and no backyard and backs to a busy road. If you are, and you think the price is right, then that is the most important thing.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:47 AM
ira

657 posts, read 3,915,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desichet View Post

I wouldn't do it. When we were househunting, we walked away from several really nice houses because they had pools. I have two small children and I don't want to be freaking out every time they are playing in the backyard.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM

1,173 posts, read 4,727,193 times
I think you made the right decision your first impulse was that you didn't like the house because you wouldn't have a backyard, obviously that is important to you. I think had you bought that house you would be kicking yourself for years to come every time you wanted to entertain outdoors (and not just for swimming) you would be wishing you hadn't bought that house. And I have to agree with a previous poster having a pool removed or even just removing the top portion and back filling it is VERY expensive and depending on the pool type can run up to the tens of thousands. Not to mention the cost and time that goes into maintaining a pool should you decide to keep it. I think you made the smart choice. Keep looking you WILL find the perfect house

Old 12-15-2009, 10:18 AM

312 posts, read 1,158,791 times
Choosing a home totally depends on your personal preference. Most buyers would not want to live on a busy street and have pool with no yard space. The price should reflect that. Someone may come by that might not mind the location and may want to have a pool with little yard to maintain. Totally personal preference but that house will be hard to sell or resell later on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
View detailed profiles of: