Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2009, 08:04 PM

223 posts, read 829,441 times

Advertisements

I lived in south jersey (Washington Twp,Glouster county) and pretty much grew up their,but my junior year in high school i moved up to North/Central Jersey (Edison).South Jersey was like growing up in the deep south. Alot of woods,flat farm land,and a small town feel. When i got up to Edison it was like a shock to me; traffic,overcrowded,and it was dirty. It took some time to get used to,but i love it now. South Jersey was too boring. I got clubs,bars, and a great nightlife now! Its great, plus for fun I can travel into New York City which is alot better then Philadelphia. I'm up North and Happy!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2009, 01:35 PM

119 posts, read 472,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainrock View Post
What is it going to change?

That town center is the antithesis of unique.

A blindfolded monkey could throw a dart at a map of the usa and that dart will land within 10 miles of an identical lifestyle center going up at Garden State Park. Get real.

If you want to see unique come over to Pa. and take notes while visiting The Main Line, Chestnut Hill,West Chester,Doylestown,Media,Newtown etc etc etc.
Are you a spokesman for PA or something? You should just stay in your PA forum and stop acting like you're the **** for living there and everyone who lives in NJ are inferior. And who cares what towns are weathier than towns in NJ? That proves absolutely nothing.

Old 07-04-2009, 12:17 PM

south jersey sucks

Old 07-04-2009, 12:51 PM

I lived in South Jersey and North/Central Jersey. There are alot of differnces between North and South Jersey. I am a minortiy so growing up in South jersey was kind of weird to me. Its mostlly white people hick type of white people so I guess me and my family were a little weird in their eyes. I met some good people down their regardless of race or color (my best friend is irish, and no not every colored person is black like they believe in south jersey) and made some good friends, but overall it sucked. Its country, boring, to quite, nothing to do. their isn't buses, trains, and cabs everywhere and its just not convient. Moving up to North/Central Jersey was like liberation to me, finally colored people like me yeah!!! Urban cities and trains and buses a good night life yes finallly. Now this is what people know jersey for North/ Central Jersey not the pine barrens or jersey tomatoes in south jersey. Philly was a suburb compared to New York the pizza is the best I ever had in N.Y. and I like the chessesteaks in N.Y. better too. My parents told me your family and your roots are from New York, Queens I guess they were right. I still got love for south jersey i did grow up down their, but I counldn't move their agian. Now you will find other minorites or colored people in Camden me and my dad used to work their. Camden is the worst place in New Jersey but its small and thats it. Its alot worse in North Jersey with Newark,Irvington,East Orange, Jersey City, etc... I could go on and on. The bad high crime cities, pollution, congestion, and traffic does **** me off a little, but its better than the quite boring hick south jersey or pennsylvania (pennsylvania should be a southern state its hick and boring) So regardless of what they say North/Cental Jersey is were its at and I love it!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 01:50 PM

Default Killadelphia yeah right, Ha Ha Ha!!!!!

Philly is not the poorest most crime ridden place in the U.S. Its Detorit and New Orleans (since hurricane Katrina the police force has lost control of New Orleans) these two cities are always 1 or 2 for highest murder rate in the U.S. Now Camden thats bad its always up thier in the top 3 or 10 even number 1 for most dangerous cities in the country, but its so small quick as your in Camden quick as your out of Camden, listen i lived in south jersey for 16 years and worked in Camden, I have been to Philly a 1000 times don't over state its crime cause thats what your doing. True philly's crime has risen in the last couple of years and it has got bad, but its not out of control. If you lived threw the 1970's or 1980's in New York now thats out of control, Brooklyn is the size of philly(Queens is bigger 5th largest city in the U.S.) and it had over 1000 murders before, over 700 in the early 90's( and I could also include the other 4 boroughs of New York which are all just cities too), before mayor Guliani double the size of the N.Y.P.D. and stiffened up the laws to clean up the streets of New York. True their is more people in Brooklyn, but philly will never get that bad with crime and its just not that full of criminals. The most murders philly ever had was about 400 maybe a little higher. I'm used to New York projects like Harlem, Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens, so when i passed threw the projects in north philly it was bad don't get be wrong, but i wasn't shook up or scared to be their. The Bronx or Harlem looks like 5 story project buildings with 80 families living in them and it looks like the whole building is about to crumble and fall down. Also their was thousands of people running around in the streets with traffic, its insanity you don't know what will happen next. North philly was broken down row homes, if you cleaned those neighborhoods up its a nice are in Staten Island. If philly and camden is a warzone like area it may be like Iraq. However, New York with Harlem, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, Staten Island, Brooklyn, past the Bronx with Yonkers, New Rochelle, Mount Vernon, and North Jersey with Jersey City, Newark, East Orange, Patterson, Irvington, Bayonne, Elizabeth, Roselle and I could go on and on I could bring Central Jersey into this with New Brunswick and Perth Amboy and I could bring New Haven, Conneticut which is not to far outside of the Bronx, but I getting tired of typing. So what type of warzone would this be? I'll tell you it would be Berlin, Germany and Stalingrad, Russia in World War 2. President Regan visited the Bronx in the 1980's and said it looked like Germany after World War 2 nothing but bombed out buildings. When I was in Philly I thought it was mostly for the few bad parts a nice clean little city with nice polite people (city of brotherly love). So what the hell are you talking about? Killadlephia please!!!Its nothing compared to a real warzone like New York and North Jersey!!!!!Oh yeah up North were proud of being rasied in the streets and were not trying to hide anything cause were real to ourselves and you outsiders( philly, south jersey, whereever!!!) I mite not of grew up in a rich town spending my dady's credit card like his little girl, but your punk soft ass would of surived in my neighborhood!!!!!!

Old 07-04-2009, 02:35 PM

30 posts, read 108,425 times
Well, I spent the first 18 years of my life in the heart of South Jersey - Washington Twp in Gloucester County, about 15 miles SSE of Center City Philly - followed by the next 29 years of my life in Middlesex County, which counts as North Jersey, if one only counts South and North Jersey. Apart from the Philly orientation of where I grew up vs. the NYC orientation of where I live now, I haven't found too much difference, although that's probably largely a function of having lived in suburbia in both locations (except for a couple of years in New Brunswick, in the 80s, as a student; most of my 9 years at RU were spent in Piscataway or Highland Park, which aren't too different from Washington Twp.). Of course, 10 miles from where I grew up was into the Pine Barrens, but that was a world away from my suburban home, especially since 10-15 miles away was Philly, which was a much bigger draw for me, going to sporting events and rock shows.

Sure, Philly is no New York, but Washington Twp and Piscataway (and Metuchen, where I've lived for the past 16 years) are much more like each other than either Philly or NYC. Hence my comments that I don't see that much difference, based on my experiences. And there are plenty of parts of NW NJ that are just as "slow" and isolated as the Pine Barrens. The biggest difference, to me, is if one lives in the very urban counties of NE NJ (most of Union and Hudson Counties and large parts of Essex, Passaic and Bergen Counties), vs. almost all of South Jersey, except maybe the immediate Camden area and maybe Trenton, which are similarly very urban. Now, if one wants to compare NYC and Philly, that's a different story. I like Philly, but it's no NYC, which is the most amazing city I've ever been to (and I've been to plenty).

As an aside, if one is trying to determine the dividing line between Philly-oriented NJ and NYC-oriented NJ (been in this discussion many times before, although not here), my line is Route 539 which winds from just NE of Trenton, down through the Pine Barrens, ending in Tuckterton, in far southern Ocean County. Most of the places S and W of this line are Philly-oriented and most of the places N and E of this line are NYC-oriented, with LBI and parts of Mercer County being the most interesting "battlegrounds" to me.

Old 07-04-2009, 02:40 PM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
All true and good points. I'd also point out that Gloucester County is much different today (and better) than when you were growing up 20 years ago, Piscataway, Highland Park, etc., are basically the same.

Last edited by MoorestownResident; 07-04-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 07-04-2009, 07:54 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,961,845 times
For all of that ranting lugger........................... Edison is not North Jersey.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:59 PM

My friend still lives in Glouster County in Washington TWP. and he is always telling me about how its gotten more urban like more supermarkets,stores, and more people moving in, I haven't been their in years now, my parents went back to Glouster County to vist some people, and they say its pretty much the same it still isn't like Edison or North or Central Jersey areas, however they did build more stores and other stuff around the area but they still got a way to go. I plan on visting South Jersey soon I do miss the area were I grew up in. Plus sometimes i get sick of the attitude,traffic, and conjestion of living up here.

To any of my friends living in south jersey especially people living in Atlantic City area Edison is considered Noth Jersey I personally believe its Central Jersey. Yes, there is Central Jersey the New Brunswick are too. Everybody in Jersey depending were you grew up has their own idea of North, Central, South Jersey. I have heard Trenton is Central Jersey even living in South Jersey I thought of Trenton as South Jersey and I grew up in Glouster County closer to Camden. I still don't understand how someone can't see the difference between towns and cities in North and South Jersey. Washington Twp. and Edison does have some smiliarties, but alot of differences. South Jersey and Washington Twp. are mostly rich,middleclass, or country hick white people(except Camden) Edison and Central Jersey are a diverse in wealth with poor,rich, and middle class people and full of minorites and other people of color with white people also. Edison is conjested and horrible traffic and Washington Twp. was country roads with almost no traffic, Edison has alot of apartment complexes and Washington Twp. has big high class homes maybe 2 or 3 apartment complexes in the whole town. There is farms in Washington Twp. never seen that much open land in Edison. My friends from Edison came with me to Washington Twp. (Glouster County) and they thought they were in the deep South and one of them said " how the hell did you grow up down hear in the sticks" I felt insulted and replied " its not that bad and i did have some fun. Their around 21-23 counties or close to that in New Jersey and everyone of them have wood and backward country areas. However not every county in NJ has cities most of the counties in South Jersey don't. Yes, their is wooded areas in North Jersey, but most of South Jersey is still woods. For cities South Jersey has Trenton, Camden, Atlantic City, and thats really all, North Jersey has East Orange, Newark,Jersey City,Hoboken, Bayone, Elizabeth, plus all the small cities of Central and North Jersey. Even the cities don't look the same Newark and Jersey city has more traffic and consits of alot of 4-7 story apartment buildings with row homes, Camden and Trenton are not as conjested, not as bad traffic, and consits mostly of row-homes. Most of the underdeveloped woods and small towns fill South Jersey, and most urban areas and cities fill North or Central Jersey for the most part. Their is a clear difference in North Jersey and South Jersey. diverse race of people up north more white people down south jersey, attitude (North Jersey more cocky and aggresive),traffic,conjestion,cities, hick type attitude down south. Its as clear as day!!!!

Old 08-11-2009, 07:17 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugger View Post
I lived in south jersey (Washington Twp,Glouster county) and pretty much grew up their,but my junior year in high school i moved up to North/Central Jersey (Edison).South Jersey was like growing up in the deep south.
Apparently you've never been to the deep south. You can have Edison and that whole "nobody speaks English" kinda thing they have going on there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey