Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

I have always thought of Burlington as South and Ocean as central -oddly when you look at a map they basically are identical in coverage on the north South continuum...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 02:25 PM

3,984 posts, read 7,076,477 times
I always thought of Central Jersey as Somerset, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Mercer and Monmouth (maybe north Ocean). In North Jersey, everything south of the Driscoll Bridge is "South Jersey." We didn't get into distinctions being the loud-mouth snobs we are. )

The other partition line would be South of 195. It's also where you see people starting to root for Philly teams which pretty much doesn't even make you a resident of NJ, but so be it.

Burlington would definitely be considered South Jersey.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:38 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
clearly, you haven't been west of 287 in the northern part of the state.
north and west of 287 for instance is much different that the northern part of the state that straddles say the meadowlands south and eastbound.

That's why the blanket statement of all of north jersey being "busy" is incorrect.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:41 PM

Quote:
i can rattle off about a dozen farms within 3-5 miles of me (i live in western morris).
Yes, Exactly. I know of many many farm areas in the Flanders/Chester area and points south, north, and west....

That's why when I stumbled on some of the statements on this thread it was puzzling to me......if I don't know of an area I try not to make blanket statements....

Old 11-23-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post
I always thought of Central Jersey as Somerset, Hunterdon, Middlesex, Mercer and Monmouth (maybe north Ocean). In North Jersey, everything south of the Driscoll Bridge is "South Jersey." We didn't get into distinctions being the loud-mouth snobs we are. )

The other partition line would be South of 195. It's also where you see people starting to root for Philly teams which pretty much doesn't even make you a resident of NJ, but so be it.

That is a good breakdown.....there is no 100% true breakdown exactly (because people from different parts of the state have their own breakdowns obv)......but I would agree w/you pretty much...

I have to laugh about the driscoll bridge comment because it is so true from where I originally came from!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:25 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Yes, Exactly. I know of many many farm areas in the Flanders/Chester area and points south, north, and west....

That's why when I stumbled on some of the statements on this thread it was puzzling to me......if I don't know of an area I try not to make blanket statements....
exactly. i try very hard not to as well, especially since I see the northern NJ blanket statements made all the time!

Old 11-24-2010, 07:26 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EBWick View Post

absolutely. I lived in Burlington for awhile and have relatives down there, and they all consider themselves South Jersey residents.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:29 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
exactly. i try very hard not to as well, especially since I see the northern NJ blanket statements made all the time!
Maybe we should talk about East Jersey and West Jersey, the way it was originally created.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:30 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
That is a good breakdown.....there is no 100% true breakdown exactly (because people from different parts of the state have their own breakdowns obv)......but I would agree w/you pretty much...

I have to laugh about the driscoll bridge comment because it is so true from where I originally came from!
And I moved this past year from living in northwest Bergen County most of my life to eastern Monmouth County. My friend down here says that most of her neighbors can't be bothered with anything north of the Driscoll. LOL.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Maybe we should talk about East Jersey and West Jersey, the way it was originally created.
This is absolutely correct. In South Jersey you still see West Jersey on businesses & institutions.

NJ is the Yugoslavia of North America. The British slapped 2 very different colonies together (New Netherlands & New Sweden) & never looked back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey