Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 10:46 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,690,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkwolf131 View Post
How beaten to death is this topic? Damn.
never!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 10:51 AM

3,859 posts, read 9,979,006 times
Quote:
It's still hanging on, but barely...

Quote:
You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".

You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags.

A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter.

You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven.

You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m.

You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery.

At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from.

You know what a "jug handle" is.

You know that WaWa is a convenience store.

You know that the state isn't all farmland.

You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore".

You know how to properly negotiate a Circle.

You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving.

You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?)

You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich.

You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege.

You don't think "What exit?" is very funny.

You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are!

You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton -that's for out-of-staters.

The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar.

You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls.

You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike")

Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony.

You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits.

You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall.

You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood.

You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey.

You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state.

You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's.

You also remember Palisades Amusement Park.

You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries.

You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February.

You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas.
There-now it's officially been beaten to death!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:05 PM

171 posts, read 416,410 times
Oh man, haha! I always hated this list!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
You don't think of fruit when people mention "The Oranges".

You know that it's called Great Adventure, not Six Flags. I've called it both. It depends on the context.

A good, quick breakfast is a hard roll with butter. No, that sounds like a pretty sh*tty breakfast to me.

You've known the way to Seaside Heights since you were seven. Yes.

You've eaten at a Diner, when you were stoned or drunk, at 3a.m. yes.

You know that the state isn't one big oil refinery. yes

At least three people in your family still love Bruce Springsteen and you know the town Jon Bon Jovi is from. I'm well aware of not only where Bon Jovi was from, but a good half of the middle-aged people I know claim to have gone to school with him. And no, I don't live in Sayreville. My mom still loves Bruce Springsteen.

You know what a "jug handle" is. Yep

You know that WaWa is a convenience store. Yes.

You know that the state isn't all farmland. I'm pretty sure everybody knows this

You know that there are no "beaches" in New Jersey -there's the shore and you don't go to the shore, you go "down the Shore". And when you are there, you're not "at the shore", you are "down the Shore". I always considered the region to be the shore, but the beach is the beach. Like, you go down the shore, but once you're at the shore, you go to the beach.

You know how to properly negotiate a Circle. Gun it and hope you don't die, correct?

You knew that the last sentence had to do with driving. I believe so.

You know that this is the only "New __" state that doesn't require "New" to identify it (like, try...Mexico,...York, .Hampshire - doesn't work, does it?) Hahahah. Yeah.

You know that a "White Castle" is the name of BOTH a fast food chain AND a fast food sandwich. Yeah, but the one with cheese is a "cheeseburger," not a White Castle w/ cheese

You consider putting mayo on a corned beef sandwich a sacrilege. Not really. Do it up!!

You don't think "What exit?" is very funny. I think it's kind of funny.

You know that people from the 609 area code are "a little different". Yes they are! Meh. It's mostly just people from Up North who wanted to live somewhere cheaper.

You know that no respectable New Jerseyan goes to Princeton -that's for out-of-staters. I knew someone who did. What's wrong w/ Princeton?

The Jets-Giants game has started fights at your school or localbar. No. I've never seen this happen.

You live within 20 minutes of at least three different malls. If you drive really fast. When I lived in Lanoka Harbor, I didn't.

You refer to all highways and interstates by their numbers. (except for "the Parkway" and "the Turnpike") Yes.

Every year you have at least one kid in your class named Tony. No. I knew lots of Matts, Nicks, and Mikes, but only one Tony.

You know the location of every clip shown in the Sopranos opening credits. Nope.

You've gotten on the wrong highway trying to get out of the mall. Nope.

You know that people from North Jersey go to Seaside Heights, and people from Central Jersey go to Belmar and people from South Jersey go to Wildwood. And it's mostly North/Central on Long Beach Island

You weren't raised in New Jersey -- you were raised in either North Jersey, Central Jersey or South Jersey. Yeah, I get that.

You don't consider Newark or Camden to actually be part of the state. Yes I do. What are they if they're not part of NJ?

You remember the stores Korvette's, Two Guys, Rickel's, Channel, Bamberger's and Orbach's. Nope. I've heard of Bamberger's but never been to any of those.

You also remember Palisades Amusement Park. No, I do not.

You've had a Boardwalk cheese steak and vinegar fries. I've had the cheesesteak but no for the fries.

You start planning for Memorial Day weekend in February. No, I usually plan for Memorial Day the previous Friday

You've NEVER, NEVER pumped your own gas. I guess I'm the only New Jerseyan whose ever traveled out of state?
So about half of those apply to me. I'm a half-Jerseyan hahahaha

Old 02-07-2013, 07:25 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badfish740 View Post
It's still hanging on, but barely...

There-now it's officially been beaten to death!
There is one gross omission from that list...

You've played name that smell while driving on the Turnpike north of 8A.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,801,239 times
Quote:

Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 PM

128 posts, read 193,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbrown29 View Post
South Jersey is a slow pace kind of towns.......less traffic, homes are affordable, low taxes, and the schools are better (in my opinion)-its suburban.
North Jersey is fast paced.....high taxes, expensive homes (there not even big homes) too much crime..its more city life.
North Jersey doesn't have big homes...? Have you been to Upper Bergen County (Franklin Lakes, Upper Saddle river, etc.

Old 08-28-2014, 09:48 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by townrater View Post
North Jersey doesn't have big homes...? Have you been to Upper Bergen County (Franklin Lakes, Upper Saddle river, etc.
See post #275.

Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,586 times
North Jersey, to me, since I'm from Woodbridge, is more of the actual New Jersey. To me, South Jersey doesn't really feel like "New Jersey," and every time I visit, it feels like a twilight zone. People are weird, everything closes early, and a lot more. The accents are different, too. The only South Jersey part I like is Cape May. It is such a beautiful and quaint town, but everywhere else, it's weird. If you live close to Philadelphia, it's either congested or polluted, with the worst part being Camden. Overall, choose North Jersey. Yeah, taxes may be more, it may be more expensive, but it's really where it's happening, and there is a lot more technology there, too. The people may be "rude" and "sarcastic" and we may "curse a lot," but there are still parts that are nice of North Jersey, especially Central Jersey (like between Avon by-the-Sea and Woodbridge).

Old 01-12-2015, 10:57 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
You dug up the dead, beaten horse thread to post this? I'm sorry, I realize that you're a new member. Southern New Jersey doesn't feel like New Jersey? Cape May is fine, but the rest of it isn't?

I don't think I'm weird (though I didn't grow up there), but I loved living there. I'll bet that you've never participated in the lighthouse challenge, been to Batsto, Seabreeze, the eagle watch in Cumberland County or anything else. To you, NJ is pizza and Indian food. It's a lot more.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:03 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
You dug up the dead, beaten horse thread to post this? I'm sorry, I realize that you're a new member. Southern New Jersey doesn't feel like New Jersey? Cape May is fine, but the rest of it isn't?

I don't think I'm weird (though I didn't grow up there), but I loved living there. I'll bet that you've never participated in the lighthouse challenge, been to Batsto, Seabreeze, the eagle watch in Cumberland County or anything else. To you, NJ is pizza and Indian food. It's a lot more.
I want to explore more of South Jersey. I grew up in NW Bergen County and lived most of my life in that area until five years ago, when I came down to Monmouth County. I've since ventured out to places in Jersey that I had never been to before, and I would like to see more of it, especially the historic places.

Oh, and I went to my first NJ winery the day after Christmas (Laurita Winery in New Egypt). I hope to visit more of those, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey