Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:02 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,472,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njchick View Post
Northern NJ has more professionals, more sophisticated and more urban atmosphere. South Jersey is more relaxed, country, and of course the shore and AC. I like both, I really hate when I hear people argue which is better... it's all Jersey!
In other words,people in N.Jersey still have most of their teeth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 04:04 PM

11 posts, read 59,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post

i'm from south jersey and i have ALL my teeth, in fact, they are pearly white too

Old 08-21-2007, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kappy View Post
What about Gloucester county? In particular Washington Township ( right where the AC expressway starts) about 30 min. from the Walt Whitman Bridge?
Washington Township is what I call 'Philly Central'(because of all the Philadelphians who moved there). Then there's 'Philly east' which is basically Wildwood...

Old 08-21-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvalred View Post
i'm from south jersey and i have ALL my teeth, in fact, they are pearly white too
Oh then you're in Cherry Hill or Marlton(only ones left

Old 08-21-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyflyer View Post
my brother lives in Elmer (area 2). I really enjoy visiting this area, it is relaxing, but I think I'm somewhere in the Southern US with the exception of the local accent.
Yea,West Virginia

Old 08-21-2007, 07:36 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,907,214 times
Talking PA teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I heard bout them folks in PA though, they got Summer teeth. You know, Summ'er there, summ'er not. lol

j/k

Old 08-21-2007, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I heard bout them folks in PA though, they got Summer teeth. You know, Summ'er there, summ'er not. lol
j/k
I agree(I'm not from PA btw). I have noticed the philly influence on south Jersey.

Old 08-23-2007, 01:07 PM

330 posts, read 1,197,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by friendlyflyer View Post
Very interesting thread and peoples opinions on life and coming and going to NJ!

I'm curious to know first is there a difference between N.Jersey and S.Jersey and is one place better than the other as far as quality of life?

Many posters here are from N.Jersey or have lived there.
The reference is always to NYC specifically Manhattan and how much they miss it or like it. Lets face it NYC is a place to its own with a strong identity throughout the world. I grew up 30 min from Philly. Ok...yeah it has great sports team, food, culture, history but it is no NYC. NYC has "Broadway" and PHL has "Broad Street". Having traveled to more than 50 countries and 40 US states, people long to hear about NYC not Philly..just the way it is.

I left S.Jersey to attend college in Arizona in the early 80's and have lived in California pretty much since graduation with a 3yr stint back in S.Jersey from 87-90. I've lived in San Francisco for 14yrs and now LA for a little over 2yrs.
I realize now that 14yrs in SF in my early adult yrs has framed my like and dislikes and comparisons against other places. NJ are my memories from youth. I think I have the Jersey sense of humor and expressions and sometimes the no "BS" attitude but I do it with a smile and easy going laid back attitude, ala "West Coast" influence. Last week on a visit to SF a good friend looked at me and said, "you might have been raised in NJ, but your really a Bay Area kind of guy". I think she is right.

I have friends on many income levels. Most middle class but some very wealthy as well. The wealthy ones are never comparing against other places, they are were they are because they want to be and can afford to be. So is it cost of living (taxes, home prices in N.Jersey) that drive people away from NJ, seems like it mostly, or ya just don't like Jersey?

I often think about moving back East (NJ, Washington DC,Jersey, Boston) because I miss the everyday folk one encounters, the seasons, etc), probably better need to just get out of LA! Then again I would probably miss the life style that I have so well adjusted too on the West Coast and I visit "Joysey" about 3 times a yr.

There is a famous line, can't remember the author, "Comparing is the heart of all discontent". I always remember that.
The biggest difference is our accents. People in South Jersey talk funny.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:24 PM

16 posts, read 86,252 times
North Jersey is more of a city/urban environment (with the exception of western areas).

South Jersey is more rural/suburban, and is much less distinctive and unique. To me, South Jersey is basically an extension of southeastern PA, Delaware, and Maryland because it llargely acks character to distinguish it from those other places. Obvious exceptions would be AC, the shoreline, and the area near Philly.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:33 PM

32 posts, read 166,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer16 View Post
So what do you think the dividing line of North and South Jersey is? I'm curious because I live in central NJ.

I actually believe there are 3 distinct parts of New Jersey: North, Central, and South Jersey.

North, anything above the Driscoll Bridge. Perth Amboy, Newark, Elizabeth, Jersey City, etc...(N. Jersey is New York centered)

Central, anything below the Driscoll Bridge to about the Lakewood/Toms River Area. Middletown, Redbank, Belmar, Freehold, Trenton, Princeton, Asbury Park, etc.(Central Jersey is more New York centered, but has its Philadelphia base, too.)

South, anything below Central. Cherry Hill, Camden, Cape May, Atlantic City, Vineland, etc..(S. Jersey is more Philadelphia centered)

For example:

North and Central Jersey you eat a Sub...South Jersey you eat a hoagie.

South Jersey residents refer to Philadelphia as "the city", where as N. Jersey and Central Jersey refer to New York as "the city".

I think the whole divide is mostly a local culture type thing...But, people from Central Jersey don't consider themselves S.Jersey or North Jersey...Though people from North and South will consider them one of the two depending on their location. When I worked in Camden...Freehold/Redbank/Belmar was North Jersey. When I was back up in North Jersey, Freehold/Redbank/Belmar was South Jersey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey