Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 12:29 AM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I'm bright enough not to spell it "your".

Good work taking one single school and claiming its rankings make the entire state of Tennessee rank riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight up there with New Jersey.

Dear. You are, as a state, number 41. NUMber FORty one. NUMBER FORTY ONE. Shall I type slower so that you have more time to read it?

A 4. And then a 1.

See, that's the difference: New Jersey just has the 4.

Now do you understand?

Or is that part of NJ's inferiority? 'Cause y'all got a biggah numbah? Got that thar "one" stuck raht on the end ti' prove it?

p.s. "Working"? Wow. At least jobs are a whole heck of a lot demanding down there. I don't know of any bosses in the awful northeast that would allow plenty of for-amusement web surfing. Maybe that's part of what you found awful about the northeast? When you're working...you need to work? I don't know that for a fact, I'm just throwing it out there.
I work on my own time, Commission, and fyi for a NJ Travel Agency.. I was submitting some info to a cruise website. I don't work by the hour so can work anytime I want to.
Fyi, maybe I gave that school because it was the only one that would be important in my life.But now my daughter is a freshman in college.
I see you learned California English or whatever that is. You really belong in NJ because the people I know from California are nice. My area has many from the San Fransisco bay area. They were either relocated here by their company or they retired here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 01:57 AM

86 posts, read 499,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh428 View Post
north jersey=yankees fan
south jersey=phillies fan
WOW

congratu-fukin-lations sir and thank you for your incredibly in depth break down of North Jersey vs South Jersey.

This really does tell us every thing we need to know about NJ

Oh wait isnt there a another baseball team in the area with the third highest salary in all of baseball?

oh yea the Mets...

Old 09-03-2007, 09:33 AM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Does it really make sense to make sweeping generalizations about the most populous state? Everyone is nice? I'm not saying people are not nice but these generalizations are just dumb. This has nothing to do with south NJ at all does it?
What on earth is California English? LOL

Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,984,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
I work on my own time, Commission, and fyi for a NJ Travel Agency.. I was submitting some info to a cruise website. I don't work by the hour so can work anytime I want to.
Fyi, maybe I gave that school because it was the only one that would be important in my life.But now my daughter is a freshman in college.
I see you learned California English or whatever that is. You really belong in NJ because the people I know from California are nice. My area has many from the San Fransisco bay area. They were either relocated here by their company or they retired here.
I am from New Jersey. I have lived in California since 2005.

As for California English, what you're talking about is a pronunciation and set of idioms, one of which couldn't possibly come through in writing, and the other being totally absent from any of my posts. And Diane...using "you're" correctly is NOT California English. It's, well. English. LOL. Oh geez. Diane, you are sounding more Tennessee all the time. "That there new-fangled speechin' an' a-spellin' whar you done gotta spell things cur-uctly is jes' downraht high-falutin'!"

A NEW JERSEY TRAVEL AGENCY...oh man. I'm dyin.' "Hello, is this Jersey Tours?" "Why yes. How can I help you?" "Well, I--" (Diane interrupts) "Actually, before you say a word, DON'T go to New Jersey. Just...don't. DON'T. Oh FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I BEG YOU don't go to that cr *phole in the center of the earth! People DIE there! It's cursed. So anyway...what can I book for you today?"

Later, Diane's boss calls to check in. Diane says, "I don't understand that...STILL no bookings today," and goes off to bed, scratching her head.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyntmac View Post
Does it really make sense to make sweeping generalizations about the most populous state? Everyone is nice? I'm not saying people are not nice but these generalizations are just dumb. This has nothing to do with south NJ at all does it?
What on earth is California English? LOL
It not only doesn't make sense--it isn't true. But not having ever lived there, Diane would not know that. So I'll have to give her a pass on this one. In this case, she's just ignorant. Welllllll, actually...Oh, I can't add to that sentence. I don't want to start racking up bad reps.

There is also the teeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeensy little matter that Diane is comparing San Francisco to a place as far away from where I am as New Jersey is from southern Georgia, roughly.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:48 PM

2,865 posts, read 9,363,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I am from New Jersey. I have lived in California since 2005.

As for California English, what you're talking about is a pronunciation and set of idioms, one of which couldn't possibly come through in writing, and the other being totally absent from any of my posts. And Diane...using "you're" correctly is NOT California English. It's, well. English. LOL. Oh geez. Diane, you are sounding more Tennessee all the time. "That there new-fangled speechin' an' a-spellin' whar you done gotta spell things cur-uctly is jes' downraht high-falutin'!"

A NEW JERSEY TRAVEL AGENCY...oh man. I'm dyin.' "Hello, is this Jersey Tours?" "Why yes. How can I help you?" "Well, I--" (Diane interrupts) "Actually, before you say a word, DON'T go to New Jersey. Just...don't. DON'T. Oh FOR THE LOVE OF GOD I BEG YOU don't go to that cr *phole in the center of the earth! People DIE there! It's cursed. So anyway...what can I book for you today?"

Later, Diane's boss calls to check in. Diane says, "I don't understand that...STILL no bookings today," and goes off to bed, scratching her head.
Got it wrong, the english you are speaking comes out of a book where the people talk like they got as far as 1st grade.
Travel Agents today rarely book local trip. I have booked from here to NY, because NYC is an attaction, NJ just isn't. When people from here go to the beach its usually Destin, Florida or the Caribbean. They do a lot of Europe travel here and cruises as would my clients in NJ and every where else I book. When people in Mass. go to the Caribbean, Aruba is usually their Island of Choice. I have clients in about 10 states and 1 does include NJ.
Diane

Old 09-03-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Got it wrong, the english you are speaking comes out of a book where the people talk like they got as far as 1st grade.
Oh my God. Have you lost your mind?

California English

I'm starting to feel more sorry for than annoyed by you. This is just...pitiful.

Please feel free to straighten me out on a few more things, such as: the moon really IS made of green cheese; they call it a "holiday" because the first person to ever take one was Billie Holliday; etc. I mean we all have so much to learn from your neverending stream of wisdom, Diane.

Holy cow...geez.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:30 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,417 times
Quote:
Travel Agents today rarely book local trip. I have booked from here to NY, because NYC is an attaction, NJ just isn't. When people from here go to the beach its usually Destin, Florida or the Caribbean. They do a lot of Europe travel here and cruises as would my clients in NJ and every where else I book. When people in Mass. go to the Caribbean, Aruba is usually their Island of Choice. I have clients in about 10 states and 1 does include NJ.
Diane
Tourism is one of NJ's LARGEST revenue streams:

http://www.njwindpanel.org/docs/faq_tourism.pdf (broken link)

North Jersey is more business, South Jersey is more recreation/tourism so even if you wanted to say: the whole of New Jersey isn't an attraction that'd be fine but then Atlantic City alone (on a tiny island) attracts about 36million tourists a year.

Old 09-03-2007, 01:32 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,929,134 times
Thanks for the California English clarification. I am only slightly confused on it now. I will have to start opening my ears a little more.

One thing I am sure of having grown up in NJ. I have had little or no problem adapting to the very different environments I have lived in since. That does not mean I have liked every environment that I have lived in but I can handle myself pretty much anywhere and I will give some props to NJ for that. I don't give props very often. Anyone who has seen my posts here can testify to that.

I like the fact that I grew up in a place where it was o.k. to have an opinion and where I had some awareness of the outside world. Not the vacation land outside world. The real one. This has been a clear advantage for me in many circumstances and though it is due in part to how I grew up not just where- "location" was still probably a large part of that equation.

Like I've said before, choosing to live elsewhere does not a hater make. That is just silly really. As far as the topic at hand- I actually like the areas of NJ that are close to Philly. They feel very very different from northern and most of central NJ and the pace is slower. People do not have the wall up as much and are not in so much of a rush. I have met many very cool people from that area in my travels.

Old 09-03-2007, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66nexus View Post
Tourism is one of NJ's LARGEST revenue streams:

http://www.njwindpanel.org/docs/faq_tourism.pdf (broken link)

North Jersey is more business, South Jersey is more recreation/tourism so even if you wanted to say: the whole of New Jersey isn't an attraction that'd be fine but then Atlantic City alone (on a tiny island) attracts about 36million tourists a year.
And she's a travel agent...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey