Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 09:48 PM

45 posts, read 203,381 times

Advertisements

I'm always surprised when people here called places like Holmdel and Manalapan bad places to live...

Perhaps you had bad experiences in those towns, but they are hardly places to avoid living in or anything. There's a reason why they are expensive.

I live in Metuchen and many of the problems that are often described occur here also. You're going to have problems with snobs and people who think they are entitled to things in any suburban or upper middle class town.

Now, I can see what you mean about overdevelopment, but sadly most of suburban NJ suffers the same fate. At least areas like Holmdel still have a large amount of open spaces and beauty to them. Here in Middlesex County there's very little that is pleasing to the eye. I love Metuchen but I would choose Monmouth Co over this area any day if I could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 08:33 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
can someone give me examples of interractions they have had with "snobs." i dont understand what these people are doing that bother others so much.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:39 PM

877 posts, read 2,838,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyLover21 View Post
I'm always surprised when people here called places like Holmdel and Manalapan bad places to live...

Perhaps you had bad experiences in those towns, but they are hardly places to avoid living in or anything. There's a reason why they are expensive.

I live in Metuchen and many of the problems that are often described occur here also. You're going to have problems with snobs and people who think they are entitled to things in any suburban or upper middle class town.

Now, I can see what you mean about overdevelopment, but sadly most of suburban NJ suffers the same fate. At least areas like Holmdel still have a large amount of open spaces and beauty to them. Here in Middlesex County there's very little that is pleasing to the eye. I love Metuchen but I would choose Monmouth Co over this area any day if I could.
This is why I don't live in Metuchen. I live in Middlesex County too and it is a lot more spread out on this side of the river than on your side. I'd choose any town in Middlesex over anything in Monmouth anyday. Middlesex may be more congested in a few areas, but the infrastructure is better equipped to handle it. Most of Monmouth's natural beauty has been ruined. My town has many scenic spots around Farrington Lake and a nice taste of "Old New Jersey" along Rt 130.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:33 PM

327 posts, read 881,564 times
really Holmdel? so what's that make Alpine, best seven figure town?

Old 01-06-2011, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
can someone give me examples of interractions they have had with "snobs." i dont understand what these people are doing that bother others so much.
I can name a few things off the top of my head:

Two grown men in their 40's fighting physically at Marlboro Pathmark over who is going to get their bag of ice first, to the point where four police cars show up, one of whom almost runs me over, doing 90mph in a 15mph parking lot.

A personal insult, bagging groceries at Shoprite "Don't you know how to bag? You really SUCK at it!"

Conflict with classmates at school whom have their $50K cars as 17th bday gifts, senior year being shot in my right ear with a capgun whilst changing for gym. Cost me my hearing in that ear. I am deaf in one ear now.

You couldn't pay me to raise my kid in that entire area. Sorry, it's just the truth.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:32 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
A personal insult, bagging groceries at Shoprite "Don't you know how to bag? You really SUCK at it!"
those are fighting words if i ever heard fighting words!

Old 01-08-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
those are fighting words if i ever heard fighting words!
My point exactly.

Another thing that comes to mind is the time they wanted to put a Home Depot on the old Manalapan Mall site and everyone on the town council screamed bloody murder and did all they could to keep it from going there, as though it would somehow negatively impact the town in some way. That I call snobby.

So where does it go? Right outside of town at the old Kmart in Morganville.

Leave it to those jerks to prevent anything from going up that possibly could help pay property taxes so residents don't have to be solely relied on for it. God forbid anything there makes sense.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:14 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoelsebutcharles View Post
I can name a few things off the top of my head:

Two grown men in their 40's fighting physically at Marlboro Pathmark over who is going to get their bag of ice first, to the point where four police cars show up, one of whom almost runs me over, doing 90mph in a 15mph parking lot.

Conflict with classmates at school whom have their $50K cars as 17th bday gifts, senior year being shot in my right ear with a capgun whilst changing for gym. Cost me my hearing in that ear. I am deaf in one ear now.

You couldn't pay me to raise my kid in that entire area. Sorry, it's just the truth.
Sorry about your hearing but... couldn't any of that stuff happen in ANY town in America?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:17 AM

912 posts, read 2,445,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newjitty View Post
really Holmdel? so what's that make Alpine, best seven figure town?
LOL. Only if you have to commute to the city. If not, I'd say Mantoloking takes it.

I was once at a borough council meeting there and, when speaking about parking regulations near the beach area, the mayor mentioned he wanted to block off all the streets so nobody from out of town could go to the beach there. His quote was a gem: "Well what are we gonna do, just let everybody in? When you sleep with the dogs, you let in the fleas."

Old 01-08-2011, 09:54 AM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGambler View Post
LOL. Only if you have to commute to the city. If not, I'd say Mantoloking takes it.

I was once at a borough council meeting there and, when speaking about parking regulations near the beach area, the mayor mentioned he wanted to block off all the streets so nobody from out of town could go to the beach there. His quote was a gem: "Well what are we gonna do, just let everybody in? When you sleep with the dogs, you let in the fleas."

Out on the east end of Long Island, they have the same attitude. They dont block off any streets, but they dont allow street parking anywhere even close to the beach. It has the same effect.

There are public beaches every half mile to a mile, but out of towners (without car stickers) have to pay $40.00 to park, and once the lot is full, thats it. No more occupancy.

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 01-08-2011 at 10:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey