U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 02:04 PM

1,269 posts, read 2,835,803 times

Advertisements

I know this is a little late being this artical came out during the summer but with all the negativity about NJ I figured I'd post something positive. Any thoughts or opinions on Holmdel?

6-figure towns - Holmdel, NJ (1) - Money Magazine
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 07:52 PM

740 posts, read 610,452 times
wow you need a 6 figure salary to afford those houses in that town

Old 12-17-2009, 08:57 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,790,573 times
I'm not sure why it's considered the "best six figure town." I can think of at least 30-40 cities/towns in the US that I'd rather live in than Holmdel, NJ. Holmdel is a decent place to live, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a highly desireable place to live. If that were the case, all the Wall Street/corporate exec types would be attempting to move there instead of places in NJ like Alpine, Saddle River, Princeton, Bernardsville, Short Hills, Livingston, etc. Overall, decent place, but nothing to write home about.

Old 12-17-2009, 10:07 PM

111 posts, read 401,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicoastal10 View Post
I'm not sure why it's considered the "best six figure town." I can think of at least 30-40 cities/towns in the US that I'd rather live in than Holmdel, NJ. Holmdel is a decent place to live, but I wouldn't necessarily classify it as a highly desireable place to live. If that were the case, all the Wall Street/corporate exec types would be attempting to move there instead of places in NJ like Alpine, Saddle River, Princeton, Bernardsville, Short Hills, Livingston, etc. Overall, decent place, but nothing to write home about.

Decent? Holmdel is a great place to live. I don't disagree that there are towns just as nice or even better, I certainly thinks it's better than 'decent'. I'd take Holmdel over Livingston anyday.

Old 12-18-2009, 06:20 PM

2,694 posts, read 5,822,941 times
Quote:
Their absence helps it's ranking as a great place to live.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM

6 posts, read 14,674 times
I'm was born and raised in Holmdel. I had a great upbringing and wouldn't change that but I don't think I would raise my children there now. It is a nice town with nice homes (lots of mini mansions) but I will say that there were a lot of punks that really didn't care about school and just had no ambition to do well. They essentially were very materialistic. I think Holmdel is really good for a child that is gifted or has special needs. Otherwise they will get lost in the system. All of my 5 siblings except for me went to private school and had a much better experience. I stayed in Holmdel bc. my doctors anticipated that I would have difficulty in school from complications at birth. I was just average and if it weren't for my parents, I wouldn't have succeeded.
It has become so built up that the charm that was once there is gone.
Also, there is no commerce so taxes a pretty high. They are still trying to figure out what to do with the large AT&T campus.
I would consider a different town all together.

Old 01-03-2011, 07:17 PM

31,771 posts, read 38,426,960 times
oh damn, i am big pimpin and spendin cheese here in holmesdel.

Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 AM

17,923 posts, read 14,015,713 times
Quote:
I agree 100%. Holmdel is nice, but nothing special. I would pick any of those other towns, if for nothing else, convenience of their locations over that of Holmdel.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:10 AM

2,705 posts, read 7,966,235 times
The best photo they could come up with to represent Holmdel (and the state of NJ in this slide show) is a photo of an empty PNC Bank Arts Center? WTH?

Old 01-04-2011, 01:13 PM

877 posts, read 2,723,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmpc99 View Post
I'm was born and raised in Holmdel. I had a great upbringing and wouldn't change that but I don't think I would raise my children there now. It is a nice town with nice homes (lots of mini mansions) but I will say that there were a lot of punks that really didn't care about school and just had no ambition to do well. They essentially were very materialistic. I think Holmdel is really good for a child that is gifted or has special needs. Otherwise they will get lost in the system. All of my 5 siblings except for me went to private school and had a much better experience. I stayed in Holmdel bc. my doctors anticipated that I would have difficulty in school from complications at birth. I was just average and if it weren't for my parents, I wouldn't have succeeded.
It has become so built up that the charm that was once there is gone.
Also, there is no commerce so taxes a pretty high. They are still trying to figure out what to do with the large AT&T campus.
I would consider a different town all together.
Every town in that area has suffered this fate. That is why I left the area. The town I grew up in (Manalapan) has suffered a more extreme version of this.

I know a few people who live in Holmdel and they don't seem all that stuck up as the Manalapanian crowd and the town does have a few sections that are still really rural with lots of nature all around, but I don't really like the look of the developed areas at all. Not all of it is McMansions, but kinda gaudy and doesn't do much for my tastes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey