Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2009, 06:32 AM

5 posts, read 34,213 times

Advertisements

When you sell your home in N.J. if something isn't in CURRENT code, because the house was built BEFORE the code was adopted, are you legally permitted to sell it?
Here, in VA, if the house was built in say '75. And in '80 a new code came about. If you sell the house, you do NOT have to bring it up to code.

Its "Grandfathered", because THAT code was not required when the house was built.
Is it the same in N.J?[

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 07:49 AM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
Generally the same as in VA... but any susequent additions, alterations should have been performed with permits -to make sure that they are built to then (1980) current code.

Old 12-18-2009, 09:43 AM

394 posts, read 1,256,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armx View Post
Generally the same as in VA... but any susequent additions, alterations should have been performed with permits -to make sure that they are built to then (1980) current code.
This is true, but don't be surprised if you are cited for numerous violations when you try to sell your home. My old home in Union County was built in 1940 and there were numerous '40s vintage oddities in my home that my city issued me violations for at the time when I put it on the market. Not only was I issued violations , but each and every addition, dormer, deck, window, garage door opener... I mean EVERTHING was "investigated" for having had the proper permits taken out - records that only went back to the 1990s. They really got after me for everything. Most of the items in question were renovated prior to my owning the home.

I got my violations rescinded, but it wasn't a walk in the park - especially since I had already moved my family to TX at the time.

My biggest ticket item was having to remediate a well (60+ feet deep) that was in my back yard. It was a really cool ornamental center-piece to our back yard. The well had a hand pump, so no one could actually fall down inside (6" sleeve) and there was no way for contaminated runoff to enter the well... nor was there a way for anyone to get a taste of contaminated water, since the pump no longer worked, but $2500 later it was filled with concrete (and other junk) and approved by the state and city.

I think that during a fiscal crisis, you will find local goverment will over prosecute for even the most harmless "violations ."

Good luck with the sale.

-Eric

Old 12-18-2009, 11:52 AM

4,073 posts, read 8,976,235 times
Agree with the above. Note also that many towns are choosing to inspect much more closely than they might have in the past. I got hit with a lot of violations that were not cited by the town 5 years earlier.

Old 12-18-2009, 12:44 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,939,932 times
Before selling our 1950's house we had to hard-wire all the smoke detectors. The batteries alone were not enough to offset the code requirements.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:33 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,107 times
Older homes were built very poorly when it came to safety issues. Multiple Circuit Breaker boxes linked together, Old garage doors without sensor..list goes on and on. They should make you bring the entire house up to current code.

Old 12-18-2009, 03:57 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,379,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
Older homes were built very poorly when it came to safety issues. Multiple Circuit Breaker boxes linked together, Old garage doors without sensor..list goes on and on. They should make you bring the entire house up to current code.
Maybe they should make newer homes conform to the construction standards of the 40-50's Real 2,4's, real wood plank underlayment. Get rid of particle board siding. Get rid of all plastic electrical boxes (they do burn) get rid of Romex and go back to metal clad cable. Eliminate aluminum service cable and make the electricians run metal conduit for the service with copper conductors.

Let's face it todays new homes are junk as far as quality of components is concerned.
BTW fuses are much better than circuit breakers in a home. Fuses always blow out on a fault, breakers are known to fail.

Old 12-18-2009, 05:53 PM

394 posts, read 1,256,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Maybe they should make newer homes conform to the construction standards of the 40-50's Real 2,4's, real wood plank underlayment. Get rid of particle board siding. Get rid of all plastic electrical boxes (they do burn) get rid of Romex and go back to metal clad cable. Eliminate aluminum service cable and make the electricians run metal conduit for the service with copper conductors.

Let's face it todays new homes are junk as far as quality of components is concerned.
BTW fuses are much better than circuit breakers in a home. Fuses always blow out on a fault, breakers are known to fail.
You tell 'em !

<they won't let me rep you... I must have rep'd you too many times already?>

-Eric

Last edited by Eric S; 12-18-2009 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: they won't let me rep the poster

Old 12-18-2009, 06:57 PM

2,510 posts, read 3,974,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyholder View Post
When you sell your home in N.J. if something isn't in CURRENT code, because the house was built BEFORE the code was adopted, are you legally permitted to sell it?
Here, in VA, if the house was built in say '75. And in '80 a new code came about. If you sell the house, you do NOT have to bring it up to code.

Its "Grandfathered", because THAT code was not required when the house was built.
Is it the same in N.J?[

Thanks

Most of the stuff they check for are safety items......gfi outlets, stair railings, fire equipment in the kitchen, fire rated garage doors, heaved/uneven sidewalks, etc. If "everything" had to brought up to current code they would have to tear the house down an build a new one ?

Old 12-19-2009, 09:24 PM

5 posts, read 34,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan View Post
Most of the stuff they check for are safety items......gfi outlets, stair railings, fire equipment in the kitchen, fire rated garage doors, heaved/uneven sidewalks, etc. If "everything" had to brought up to current code they would have to tear the house down an build a new one ?
Well thats what I've been told. Hense, the "Grandfather" allowences.

I thank you all for the information.

Skyholder
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey