Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 02:05 PM

73 posts, read 260,248 times

Advertisements

Hi and best wishes to all.

Here's my current question:

We love (and have lived -- rented -- in) Ocean Grove and have been trying for a full year to find a house within 1/2 hour of it for not much more than 250K, with some acreage, say close to an acre or even 1/2 -- plus at least 1600 square feet.

Nothing right yet.

Now we're considering the Barnegat area, seeing lots of houses for even 230K that fit our needs, but the area?

If you're thinking Jackson & Howell, we've ruled them out.

Also avoiding Toms River area for health issues.

Help! Please give me opinions about: keep focusing on Monmouth and be patient, forget about Barnegat, Barnegat's great, etc etc.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! and thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 08:52 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,758,588 times
Have you considered Bayville? Pine Beach? Both are in Ocean County. Reasonable prices and taxes.

Old 12-22-2009, 08:14 AM

13,415 posts, read 28,795,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siri View Post
Hi and best wishes to all.

Here's my current question:

We love (and have lived -- rented -- in) Ocean Grove and have been trying for a full year to find a house within 1/2 hour of it for not much more than 250K, with some acreage, say close to an acre or even 1/2 -- plus at least 1600 square feet.

Nothing right yet.

Now we're considering the Barnegat area, seeing lots of houses for even 230K that fit our needs, but the area?

If you're thinking Jackson & Howell, we've ruled them out.

Also avoiding Toms River area for health issues.

Help! Please give me opinions about: keep focusing on Monmouth and be patient, forget about Barnegat, Barnegat's great, etc etc.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! and thanks.

What would Toms River have to do with health issues??

Ocean Grove?/ Have you checked any of the redevelopment areas in Asbury Park?

Depending on where you work Barnegat can be a haul up the GSP

Old 12-22-2009, 04:40 PM

1,787 posts, read 5,758,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
What would Toms River have to do with health issues??

Ocean Grove?/ Have you checked any of the redevelopment areas in Asbury Park?

Depending on where you work Barnegat can be a haul up the GSP
Toms River had contaminated wells.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:12 AM

1,110 posts, read 4,378,060 times
In order to stay in NJ where you want to, you need a bigger budget. It looks like you might want to consider another state by the shore. You will find alot more for your money. I do agree that Toms River, Jackson, and Howell are all undesirable as well.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:33 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,753,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd72173 View Post
In order to stay in NJ where you want to, you need a bigger budget. It looks like you might want to consider another state by the shore. You will find alot more for your money. I do agree that Toms River, Jackson, and Howell are all undesirable as well.
why are Jackson and Howell undesirable? I sincerely don't know - I was always under the assumption they were decent places.

Old 12-23-2009, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
why are Jackson and Howell undesirable? I sincerely don't know - I was always under the assumption they were decent places.
Mostly from having explored both towns several times, driving around, feeling like the subdivision-heavy infrastructure is about to implode: cars piled to the gills at intersections, overworked sewage system, water supply and all. Plus things I've read -- maybe on city data links, maybe realtors I've spoken to, and some stories I've read in local newspapers referring to overcrowding.

I imagine the more southern towns in clusters, like Bernegat and all, might be facing the same problems.

I'd love people to weigh in on this. The houses I'm seeing online down there (Barnegat, Lacey, Waretown, Stafford) look like just what we're hoping to buy.

Old 12-23-2009, 07:22 PM

Following up to my own post:

Shortly after posting the above, I looked at some Howell houses online, and plan to do some drive-by's. I meant no offense to anybody who lives in either Howell or Jackson or Tom's River. Honest and thanks.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:07 AM

33,003 posts, read 36,540,054 times
I was just a little surprised about Jackson because it's one of the largest townships in the state, west over to Colliers Mills and down to Lakewood.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,625,266 times
[quote=njkate;12129402]What would Toms River have to do with health issues??

They found lots of Cancers in that area. Water is awful................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey