U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 07:18 PM

4 posts, read 20,705 times

Advertisements

As our user name suggests, my husband and I are looking to move out of Brooklyn to New Jersey and commute to work in Manhattan for the first time! We are looking for a 2 bed condo/townhome/apartment for around $350k where we can walk to a train station. We have been on several trips around areas of the state and have come across Little Falls as a potential area, particularly The Mill at Little Falls. If anyone has any suggestions/advice re. Little Falls or anywhere else that might meet our requirements - we'd really appreciate it!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 12:22 PM

311 posts, read 1,333,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimecommuters View Post
As our user name suggests, my husband and I are looking to move out of Brooklyn to New Jersey and commute to work in Manhattan for the first time! We are looking for a 2 bed condo/townhome/apartment for around $350k where we can walk to a train station. We have been on several trips around areas of the state and have come across Little Falls as a potential area, particularly The Mill at Little Falls. If anyone has any suggestions/advice re. Little Falls or anywhere else that might meet our requirements - we'd really appreciate it!
I grew up in Little Falls and lived there for 20 years, so I believe I could tell you a few things about the town. My parents were there for 34 years and recently retired to Florida.

Little Falls is a small Passaic County town of about 12,000 people. It is conveniently located with easy access to Routes 46 and 80. The train station is located at the top of Long Hill Road, which is at the side of town bordering Cedar Grove (the Great Notch section). My dad was able to walk to the train station to commute into Manhattan. There are several apartment complexes and condos and many residential homes within walking distance of the station. I'm not sure of the current prices since it has been a while since I have lived there. NJ transit also operates buses into Manhattan and they stop at various locations throughout the town.

The Mill is near the center of town, by the falls (hence the name of the town). It is about 2 miles from the station. However, it is very close to the bus station on Main Street. Last time I was in the area, it looked as though they had made many improvements to the general area.

Little Falls is an attractive area and nice place to live, near many conveniences. In the "downtown" area you will find the newly remodeled post office and library. Shoprite is nearby. Heading west on Route 46 are many stores such as Home Depot and the Willowbrook Mall.

I would definitely recommend the town. It will be easy to get into New York and I think it is one of the better places to live without getting into one of the really expensive towns. If you need more specific information on anything, send me a private message.

Old 05-21-2007, 03:57 PM

56 posts, read 281,552 times
Default Ex Brooklynite, now Montclair life

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimecommuters View Post
There are several towns that meet the criteria. Many of the local towns if not within easy walk of the train station have a jitney that goes through the town and takes commuters to the station; Montclair, West Orange, Glen Ridge. Little Falls, Verona, Bloomfield is either a walk or drive (commuter lots with permits) and/or bus to train. As a local RE agent, I will tell you that Montclair, Glen Ridge are pricier. You should however find condos/townhouses around in your price range. Feel free to email me privately for further info. Good luck.
Elaine

Old 05-25-2007, 09:30 AM

4 posts, read 20,705 times
Default Thanks!

Very helpful information - thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>