Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM

2 posts, read 9,265 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I are planning on moving to Hoboken in the next year or so. We are both 29 and we do not have children. We currently live in Lancaster, PA and are bored to tears! I am a dental hygienist and my husband is a commercial pipefitter (he puts up heating and cooling pipes in hospitals, schools, etc. that are being built or renovated). I was wondering what the job market looks like for us in Hoboken and surrounding areas. Beyond that, I would appreciated ANY info or opinions of what it is like to live in Hoboken. I've heard many good things about the area from people who have visited but would like the opinions from those people who live there and are nice enough to share them!
Thank you for your time and HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 08:50 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,748,514 times
I love Hoboken, I have lived here for about 10 years. There are many different types of people who live here, recent college grads, families, empty nesters etc. But it is still predominantly a younger persons town although this has changed significantly since I have lived here (more families and empty nesters).

Pros

Good restaurants
Walkable (1 square mile)
Proximity to Manhattan
Many modes of public transportation, train, bus, boat, light rail.
Diverse
Very safe for a city. (most of the crime is petty stuff)

Cons

Expensive
Loud (especially downtown and Thursday-Saturday)
Parking is hard to come by, don't think of moving here without a spot.
Public schools are pretty awful, especially middle school on.
The city is corrupt.

I have lived in suburbia also, I much prefer Hoboken.

I have no sense of the job market for your particular professions.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:05 PM

4,286 posts, read 10,765,133 times
Hoboken is a very nice place. Its basically a small city with a lot of nightlife that is a 10 minute train ride from NYC (and the trains run 24/7).

If you can afford it, go for it.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:20 AM

18 posts, read 48,364 times
Hi TiffanyDai,

I lived in Hoboken for 5 years and agree with shorebaby on most points.

I'd recommend Paulus Hook over Hoboken. I live in Paulus Hook currently and the demographic in my building is mostly couples in their 30's with no kids. People in the neighborhood are fun and social. I also prefer Paulus Hook because of the proximity to the PATH station... most places are very close to either the Exchange Place or Grove Street PATH. It is also much quieter than Hoboken, and parking is a bit easier to come by (you'd need a resident decal for street parking though - same as Hoboken, but its easier to find a spot). Also, driving in Hoboken is a bit of a nightmare with cars double-parked, pedestrians all over the place... its equivalent to driving in Manhattan.

There are a few fun places in Paulus Hook and the Grove Street area, or you can get on the light rail/PATH and head to Hoboken or NYC. A cab to Hoboken would be $12-15.

Bottom line, if you are looking to be in the center of everything, get rid of the car, don't mind noise and want to experience city life, move to Hoboken. If you want to take advantage of what Hoboken and NYC have to offer but head home to escape the ruckus, Paulus Hook is great. I moved from Hoboken to Paulus Hook 2 1/2 yrs ago and my friends in Hoboken have started to follow me!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:23 AM

18 posts, read 48,364 times
As far as the job market, Hoboken and Jersey City are both very convenient to Manhattan. I'd browse jobs online and try to line something up prior to moving.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:37 PM

1,110 posts, read 4,370,859 times
I dont know.. 29 years, married.. . If so, I would not recommend Hoboken. Mod cut

Last edited by Viralmd; 12-30-2009 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: Not necessary.

Old 12-31-2009, 12:42 AM

381 posts, read 1,309,347 times
There's a lot to be said for Hoboken. Besides what shorebaby said, it has a lot of open space (including dog runs), a very active community (good churches, political groups, a wonderful website--hoboken411, a nice little historical museum that has children's activities, and such), and lots of free cultural and recreational activities (like Shakespeare and yoga in the parks, an annual baby parade, an arts fair, etc.). There are more and more young families with all the amenities they need, and it's quite comfortable for middle-aged and older people as well.

One rather endearing, or peculiar, thing about Hoboken is that it celebrates a lot of holidays a week early. So, there's Memorial Day and Hoboken Memorial Day... St. Patrick's and Hoboken St. Patrick's. I have no idea why this is. Maybe so they can get the cops who are already booked for the actual holiday parades in NY or Jersey City.

The only real down that shorebaby didn't mention was the traffic. Just bad. And probably destined to get much worse as big building continues.

It's really like another borough of New York City. My husband calls it Brooklyn West.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 9,265 times
Thank you everyone for your advice and info.
Much appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey